Is it bad to eat potatoes every day?

Options

Replies

• rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    cclepew wrote: »
    They're fine, unless you're diabetic and can't process the carbs normally.

I'm not diabetic, but I'm pretty sure most diabetics can eat potatoes if they combine them with protein and fat.
    I have not heard this.... Really? I have a diabetic father in law, he avoids potatoes. I had them over for dinner with grilled steak, dinner salad, roasted sweet and baby potatoes, and watermelon. He took the sweet potato.
    Just curious on this, thanks.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    dt9sxp9dgti9.gif
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    No they aren't bad at all. Why would they be? As long as you fit it in your day, you'll be fine. Everything in moderation
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    rushfive wrote: »

I'm not diabetic, but I'm pretty sure most diabetics can eat potatoes if they combine them with protein and fat.
    I have not heard this.... Really? I have a diabetic father in law, he avoids potatoes. I had them over for dinner with grilled steak, dinner salad, roasted sweet and baby potatoes, and watermelon. He took the sweet potato.

I'm going by what I've seen @earlnabby post, if I'm remembering what she said correctly. Also, @jgnatca. It might vary depending on the nature of someone's particular diabetes?

My grandfather was diabetic, and he ate potatoes, but I'm vague on how he managed his diabetes. I don't remember it being a big deal.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    dt9sxp9dgti9.gif

In my next life, I want hair like this animated character.

• rushfive
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks mamapeach.
    ps... I have this hair and it is a pain in the a..... :p
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options

From what I was told - mashed potatoes for diabetics is not good. Baked (and only half) is OK so long as it is not loaded. Not sure why simple mashed versed baked matters as I am not diabetic and have not looked into it.

As far as eating everyday... I have one several times per week with dinner and have had no issues. Fit it into your macros and or calorie goal and you will be fine! Just be sure to weigh them!!!

• TristanMacNessaCampbell
    Options
    Potatoes have the most minerals in them of most starches, they are also much lower in calories than rice or pasta.
    my mum ate mainly potato's her entire pregnant with me. but not fried, usually boiled with jackets on or baked. Potatoes are full of nutrients and fiber, unless you are allergic to them they are a great dietary choice.
  • rushfive
    Options
    chasetwins wrote: »

From what I was told - mashed potatoes for diabetics is not good. Baked (and only half) is OK so long as it is not loaded. Not sure why simple mashed versed baked matters as I am not diabetic and have not looked into it.

As far as eating everyday... I have one several times per week with dinner and have had no issues. Fit it into your macros and or calorie goal and you will be fine! Just be sure to weigh them!!!

I wonder if is because mashed usually have butter and milk mixed into the potatoes.?
    It would be great if the protein and fat (steak) worked for him to have potatoes.
    I don't know much about a diabetic diet. (yet)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @rushfive , I suggest your father in law took the sweet potato as his chosen starch. A diabetic would not double up, say, potato-and-bun, or potato-and-sweet potato.

Nothing wrong with mashed or all dressed potatoes for a diabetic. In fact a little milk, butter, or sour cream will help slow down the digestion of that potato, which is good.
  • rushfive
    Options
    Thanks jgnatca.
    sorry op for the side track on potatoes. :)
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    It's not bad at all.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    YES! If you are in Ireland and it's 1849.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    jorinya wrote: »
    Are all the Irish dead? If it were bad to eat potatoes then the entire population of Ireland would be dead. Potatoes are the staple food of the Irish diet and it didn't kill anyone. The famine killed because there was no potatoes not because people ate potatoes.
    No food is bad for you if you eat it in small portions.

I took an Irish history class several years ago and one of the more interesting things I learned was that, up until the famine, the Irish peasants were among the healthiest of the peasant class in Europe because their subsistence diet of potatoes and buttermilk was one of the most nutritionally balanced diets available.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    chasetwins wrote: »

I wonder if is because mashed usually have butter and milk mixed into the potatoes.?
    It would be great if the protein and fat (steak) worked for him to have potatoes.
    I don't know much about a diabetic diet. (yet)

Probably that and the fact that mashed almost never have the peels included. potato peels are very good nutritionally.

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    This is a patient to doctor discussion

So many people think eating more carbs and taking more insulin is the answer. It is not. Many have no real clue on managing type 2 diabetes to be rid of it.

I ran the course of carb restriction, long duration cardio to burn out my glucose, building back up insulin sensitivity. Have my every 6 month full blood panels for 2 years showing the reversal of type 2 diabetes

It takes a comprehensive plan with your Dr and dedication. And maybe it will happen.

I eliminated white potatoes from my diet and went with small amounts of sweet potato. Fibrous veggies and some fruits make up my carbs. Eating a conservative carb diet with adequate exercise it is possible to bring down your A1C into the low 5. Numbers

I definitely would seek a professional opinion and plan by that.

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    sometimes, that much potato can cause a problem, yeah. But not in terms of fats or gaining weight. I had to go grain free (medical reasons) and for a while I really upped my potato consumption (Irish mother, so it wasn't that much of a jump, LOL. She hasn't heard of the switch to pasta and rice. Behind the times, that's my mum. ^_~).

Potatoes (and sweet potatoes, actually) are high in oxalates, though. If you have a healthy gut, that's no problem, as the gut bacteria will consume these so your body doesn't have to try to get rid of it (unusable to us). But for someone with some gut trouble, it can be problematic, is all.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    This is a patient to doctor discussion

So many people think eating more carbs and taking more insulin is the answer. It is not. Many have no real clue on managing type 2 diabetes to be rid of it.

I ran the course of carb restriction, long duration cardio to burn out my glucose, building back up insulin sensitivity. Have my every 6 month full blood panels for 2 years showing the reversal of type 2 diabetes

It takes a comprehensive plan with your Dr and dedication. And maybe it will happen.

I eliminated white potatoes from my diet and went with small amounts of sweet potato. Fibrous veggies and some fruits make up my carbs. Eating a conservative carb diet with adequate exercise it is possible to bring down your A1C into the low 5. Numbers

I definitely would seek a professional opinion and plan by that.

where did OP say they have type 2 diabetes...?????