Wow I need help

Options
2nd day. Logging in my breakfast and snack for the day. Entered my recipes for a few things and WOW I really need to revamps recipes to me more healthy. Need to cut back sugars, carbs and saturated fats. I can use a ton of help. I like to make things myself instead of buying the foods already made. So I can cut out unhealthy ingredients and swap for healthy ones. But clearly I don't know where to start. Does anyone know of a good book for newbies? Logging my food intake is a real eye opener!!'n

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I tend to read the message boards...there are a lot of recipe threads that will give you ideas for swapping. Here's one I've discovered that is fairly painless...We used to love the occasional "big breakfast". Bacon, hashbrowns, eggs, muffins....NOW I can live without the bacon and muffins and instead of hashbrowns, I make a breakfast hash. 1/3 potatoes, onions, peppers, and whatever other veggies I have in the fridge. Yesterday's included daikon and butternut squash.

Everyone loves it with a fried egg (or two) on top and it is a delicious big breakfast!

I started by finding those healthy things I like...and eat those. Turkey burgers smothered in sautéed mushrooms, chicken, apples, celery, cucumbers...those low cal things that taste good to me!

Keep logging and learning...some of us have also found some surprising low calorie things too!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I swap "white" with the following:

White bread for whole or multi grain
    White potatoes for sweet potatoes
    White flour for almond, coconut flour (this takes time to learn baking this way)
    White rice for brown rice or wild rice
    White milk (cows milk) for almond and cashew milk
    Still eat butter, nut butters, nuts, olive oil, coconut oil, heavy cream, cottage cheese (low and full fat), sour crea, (low and full fat)

Bake with Truvia Baking Blends and Splenda Sugar Blend..

I look for low glycemic veggies (I grill veggies, bake veggies or stir fry).

My snacks are nuts/mixed nuts in stead regular chips and crackers.. however I do make my own vanilla wafers and crackers, dips (houmus), avacado, etc...

Now with all that said above, I still have all of the regular foods above but I pick and choose when I want to bake with regular flour etc... Like last week I made a regular flour and yeast cinnamon raisin bread I just cut the slices thinner... substitutions in this case just wouldn't cut it.

As far as cook books, I have not found anything... I do a lot of searching on the internet and am always looking for recipes swaps.. I look for low carb cooking, even the diabetic connections websites... I use ymmily, all recipes websites on line and many many more...
  • Grandmaelf2008
    Grandmaelf2008 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips. Definitely a lot of research ahead of me
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Don't cook.

Make simple foods, meat, veggies.

I had to stop cooking. I made too large of portions. Now, I grill a chicken breast, side salad. Portion control made easy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Don't cook.

I had to stop cooking. I made too large of portions. Now, I grill a chicken breast, side salad. Portion control made easy.

so you eat your chicken raw?

I don't understand "don't cook" what does that mean?

I cook 1x a week- I portion everything out and then I have food for the week.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    2nd day. Logging in my breakfast and snack for the day. Entered my recipes for a few things and WOW I really need to revamps recipes to me more healthy. Need to cut back sugars, carbs and saturated fats. I can use a ton of help. I like to make things myself instead of buying the foods already made. So I can cut out unhealthy ingredients and swap for healthy ones. But clearly I don't know where to start. Does anyone know of a good book for newbies? Logging my food intake is a real eye opener!!'n

What are the ingredients you have trouble with? what is it you want to replace?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

honestly, as long as you are eating in a calorie deficit there is nothing wrong with carbs, sugars, etc. Just make sure that you are eating nutrient dense foods and staying within your macro allowances.

Carbs and sugars are not evil or bad for you, no matter what the internet and others would lead you to believe.

However, you could simplify your cooking and maybe not make as many complex recipes. Things like chicken, steak, pork, etc, can be cooked in a simpler fashion and still taste good.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely still cook, just use less butter/oil etc and portion things out.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Get a new cookbook?
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I find a lot of great healthy recipe's on Pinterest.

Good luck!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    try sparkrecipes.com. there are a lot of healthy recipes you can try.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I like the recipes on www.skinnytaste.com. I even bought her cookbook, but you can get most of her recipes free from the site. As someone with little kids and a full time job I gravitate towards the crock pot recipes.
  • Grandmaelf2008
    Grandmaelf2008 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Well I am NOT able to stop cooking. I've changed the way I'm cooking. More chicken less red meat, no butter - small amount of olive oil instead etc...Baking will definitely be a challenge, but that I can easily cut back at. Looking at my local library for books to start cramming my head full of info to help me out. This is very overwhelming!! Thanks everyone for your advice. MFP is really turning out to be very helpful!!!!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I know it was an eye opener for me too especially jarred spaghetti sauce nearly knocked me over. I love skinnytaste.com she has great recipes and that is where I found a great make from scratch marinara sauce. I also cut out all drinks that are not water or seltzer. I prefer to eat my calories and not drink them. I learned a lot from that website and yes I still cook things like chicken parmesan and chicken tenders. My husbands favorite is her pork stir fry. In fact he just asked me last night if I a had any new recipes from her. She gives you the nutrition breakdown as well as weight watchers points so its really helpful. I also get a lot of recipes on allrecipes also. Just by using less salt, butter, oils and cheese can be really helpful.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Pinterest! Just type in a few choice words (easy healthy recipe) and see what appeals to you! Plenty of ideas out there and you can easily save them all in one spot. :smile:
  • Wattyz
    Wattyz Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Check pinterest for great recipes. Like JoRocka, I cook a large meal, and just portion it out before touching it. Prepped food for the week. Even breakfast. A small carton of egg whites (or 8-12 egg whites) some veggies, a little 2% cheese, and possibly some sort of meat on occasion, partially cooked on the stove, and finished in the oven. It gives me 6-8 breakfast portions a day.

No sugar applesauce instead of oil in baking helps. I also mix white and almond meal or whole wheat flour in baking (like banana bread. yum...) More mustard instead of mayo, or replace with avocado.

If you don't like the same foods daily, make a few meals at once if you have the time. portion them out still before putting them away, and put some in the freezer. Then If you want, you can take them out the night before so they're thawed for the next day.

Also if you don't have a food scale, you should invest in one to help with equal portions.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Don't cook.

I agree that thinking about modifying recipes can be unnecessarily complicated.
    For me it makes sense when I am grocery shopping to think about what vegetables I want to eat.
    Often I cook them grilled, steamed, baked, or kind of stir fried with one or two teaspoons of oil, garlic, and some water.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    We eat virtually every meal at home and I've always collected recipes. I've always been conscious of making easy swaps when I can- low fat/low salt versions of everything possible, using 93% lean ground beef or ground turkey, switching to whole grains, and adding more veggies- but since starting on MFP I've continued to use all of our favorite recipes and have just been carefully measuring portions. Also, I don't fix the higher-calorie stuff as often as I used too- it's true that staying simple saves calories.
  • azyn
    azyn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hummus instead of mayonnaise works great (and I actually even like the taste more) for sandwiches, tuna etc. If it's any recipe that needs something to thicken it up and provide texture hummus often works. I also really like it as a sauce on burgers or subs.

Cauliflower mash in itself isn't the nicest substitute for mashed potatoes for me, but it's fantastic with low-fat cottage cheese (esp if you mix in onion and garlic powder and chopped chives), or you could mix in some cauliflower mash *with* mashed potatoes for it to still taste really good. Low-fat cottage cheese actually works great as a substitute for a lot of things to get your cheesy/comfort food cravings with very little calories and a lot of protein at that, and it makes a lot of food very nice- if you microwave cauliflower torn or chopped up into decent sized pieces and have it with a cup of low-fat cottage cheese, it's easy to eat three or four servings of veggies and a lot of protein in a meal.

For green tea, if you get bags that are green tea with mint it's still really pleasant even without any sugar, because the mint flavor balances out the slight bitterness of unsweetened tea really well. Peppermint or spearmint green tea substituted for sodas and coffees or other beverages cut out a lot of calories.

It's hard to avoid the calories with something like rice, but lentils (or chickpeas) are a really good way to add body to meals that would normally be rice, because it has a similar feel and is also delicious. Not the way health junkies will tell you kale is delicious, I really love chickpeas. If you're making a rice and thick curry (works best for tuna or vegetable curries or just thick curries), having half rice and half lentils is really satisfying. I think there's actually a Middle Eastern comfort food called mujadarrah(?) which half and half rice and lentils with I think cumin (that or coriander, there'll be recipes on the internet) and spices, and it is actually really nice.

Tossing a cube of frozen chopped spinach in works for a lot of meals. It's inoffensive and often unnoticeable esp in stronger dishes like curries but adds nutrition. Benefiber grit and glug free fibre powder is also completely tasteless and dissolves in basically anything, and you can add a couple spoons (or more, depending on the thing) into anything from curries to tuna to pasta to sauces to breakfast cereal to soups (you can add a *lot* to soups with almost no change) to baking to protein shakes.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    When I started, I found that I simply used too much of everything when I was cooking (not baking, obviously). Too much oil/butter when making my meats, too much cheese added to dishes -- that sort of thing. So I started cutting them back to smaller and smaller amounts until I found that balance of flavor and calories that I wanted.

Bonus: my foods cook a lot better now that I use more reasonable amounts of oil/butter. :)