Anyone try this Dr. Oz juice???

Options
2»

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Can someone define/quantify "glass of water" who the hell makes up these recommendations?!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Can someone define/quantify "glass of water" who the hell makes up these recommendations?!

A "glass of water" is 8 fluid ounces of water.
  • TimothyFish
    Options

A "glass of water" is 8 fluid ounces of water.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    Why can't they just say that, instead of speaking to people like they're kindergarteners.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    5 cups of water and then eating the 3 cups of melon would possibly provide similar hydration to 8 cups of water. The melon is mostly water. Actually, most of a person's hydration comes from food anyway.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Why can't they just say that, instead of speaking to people like they're kindergarteners.

Not everyone needs the same amount of water. Check the urine color.
    64789k9ferj6.jpg

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

It has been said millions of times over the last 50 or so years since the 8 glasses of water was first recommended. They figure people have heard it enough that the 8 oz. is now understood and that (reasonably intelligent) people no longer need to have it spelled out for them every time.

• Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    5 cups of water and then eating the 3 cups of melon would possibly provide similar hydration to 8 cups of water. The melon is mostly water. Actually, most of a person's hydration comes from food anyway.

Wait, what?

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    24883-Plants-vs-Zombies-Peashooter-2fbJ.gif
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    ^^^ know, what I'm saying is not only is that recommendation completely wrong, but that they dumbed it down so far that it makes even less sense.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Yes. People don't need to be guzzling down gallons of water every day to stay hydrated. But the bottling companies are perfectly happy for you to continue to do so. Meanwhile, I'll just continue to drink when I'm thirsty and consume plenty of fruits and veggies.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

It has been said millions of times over the last 50 or so years since the 8 glasses of water was first recommended. They figure people have heard it enough that the 8 oz. is now understood and that (reasonably intelligent) people no longer need to have it spelled out for them every time.

Understood, but how did it morph from 8 cups (which is a unit of volume) to 8 glasses (which is a meaningless quantity). That right there shows me that people aren't as "reasonably intelligent" as you think.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Yes. People don't need to be guzzling down gallons of water every day to stay hydrated. But the bottling companies are perfectly happy for you to continue to do so. Meanwhile, I'll just continue to drink when I'm thirsty and consume plenty of fruits and veggies.

Big bad bottling companies? Like, the municipality that provides my tap water? Alrighty then.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    In for funny gifs...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you like it, drink it, just be sure to log the calories for it and understand it will not help with weight loss in any way whatsoever.
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Understood, but how did it morph from 8 cups (which is a unit of volume) to 8 glasses (which is a meaningless quantity). That right there shows me that people aren't as "reasonably intelligent" as you think.

I'm guessing because people don't usually drink water from a cup and because drinking glasses used to be smaller.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Doctor Oz is the most dangerous doctor around, he keeps pushing his fraud products despite being called out by congress and being called out by fellow doctors who he in turn attacked. Even medical students are trying to get the man's liscense to practice revoked. I'm horrified that folks keep listening to him over their own doctors.