Opinions on so called 'healthy snacks'

Options
Laura_buthlay
Laura_buthlay Posts: 34 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I have just been to Aldi and bought Harvest morn Crunchy Linseed with Cranberry and Almonds (134 cals per 25g serving/9.6g fat/1.1g sat fat/2.7g sugar) and also The Food Market Cranberry & Coconut crispbread minis (106 cals per 25g serving/3.3g fat/ 1.3g sat fat/2.3g sugar) as healthier options to snack on at my desk throughout the day. I have noticed that they still seem quite high in fat/sugar content, just wanted peoples opinions on these kind of snacks and whether they are ok to eat or doing more harm than good...?

Replies

• belleamore1234
    belleamore1234 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    They are packed with added sugar as on thier own they would be completely unpalatable, that being said if you are logging then you should be able to keep on top of how much sugar you are eating and staying within your macros. If eating this alone tips you over the egde with sugar swap for porridge and fruit for breakfast and ryvita with cream cheese for snacks this will cut down the refined sugar content
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    as long as you are staying in your calorie/micro/macro targets for the day they are fine. You need to look at your overall diet and ask yourself the following:

Am I in a calorie deficit?
    Am I eating nutrient dense foods and hitting micros?
    Am I staying within my macro targets for the day?

If the answer to all three is yes, then continue as you are doing. If the answer to any is No, then assess why and improve on that.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I think they're fine as long as you're able to maintain your calorie goal and they don't leave you feeling hungry
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It's all relative to how much of it you're eating, what the rest of your diet is like and what your calories/macro goals are.

There is no reason why these items, or any other food item, cannot be part of a healthy diet.
  • belleamore1234
    Options
    You could snack on fruit and veg throughout the day? I often cut up carrot batons, cucumber, or peppers and chomp throughout the day its an easy way of getting in some of your five a day :) I usually only have fruit in the morning though as its high in natural sugar, but as the good sir above has said as long as your food is nutrient rich and you keep within your macros your fine
  • ndj1979
    Options
    They are packed with added sugar as on thier own they would be completely unpalatable, that being said if you are logging then you should be able to keep on top of how much sugar you are eating and staying within your macros. If eating this alone tips you over the egde with sugar swap for porridge and fruit for breakfast and ryvita with cream cheese for snacks this will cut down the refined sugar content

so swap one form of sugar with another???

Please just stop.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I try to buy whole nuts from the bulk bins and package my own weighed portions. It is much cheaper. But if you like the taste of some of these blends and log them, I don't think 3 grams of sugar in a serving is that high.
  • belleamore1234
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Please just stop.

There is a big difference between natural sugar and refined sugar if you are talking about overall health
  • Laura_buthlay
    Laura_buthlay Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, what are these macro and micro targets everyone has mentioned?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Please just stop.

There is a big difference between natural sugar and refined sugar if you are talking about overall health

oh really? and what would that be?

If person A hits their micros and eats added sugar and Person B hits their micros and eats "natural sugar" then why would person B be healthier than person A as they are both hitting their micro requirements.
  • winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Most of those "healthy" snacks have corn syrup...but with that being said even if it was honey, raw sugar, ect still not good for you. Sugar is sugar, and is added to make things taste better. Try looking up healthier recipes for granola, add your sweetener of choice and measure it out to control the portions! I know we can't get away with totally avoiding all types of sugar but like I said if you make your own you know what went into it and still enjoy it. I have slowly reduced honey, sugars in my recipes so not to go cold turkey. I usually aim at trying to reduce the sugars in half and add other flavourings such as vanilla, cinnamon to make it taste better! Hope this helps!
  • belleamore1234
    Options

Please just stop.

If person A hits their micros and eats added sugar and Person B hits their micros and eats "natural sugar" then why would person B be healthier than person A as they are both hitting their micro requirements.

I am talking about overall health! Not macro requirements I am talking about whats good for the body, refined white sugar added to foods is not as healthy as naturally produced sugars in fruit and natural carbs if you are attempting to argue with that you must be insane just because two people are hitting the same macro requirements doesn't mean they have the same level of health someone that chooses to hit thier macros eating a snicker isn't going to be as healthy as someone that chooses a natural alternative to get thier sugars on a regular basis
  • belleamore1234
    Options
    Live and die by the macro requirements lol nobody seems to care a jot what they are actually ingesting into thier bodies
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

Please just stop.

I am talking about overall health! Not macro requirements I am talking about whats good for the body, refined white sugar added to foods is not as healthy as naturally produced sugars in fruit and natural carbs if you are attempting to argue with that you must be insane just because two people are hitting the same macro requirements doesn't mean they have the same level of health someone that chooses to hit thier macros eating a snicker isn't going to be as healthy as someone that chooses a natural alternative to get thier sugars on a regular basis

Why not?
  • belleamore1234
    Options

Please just stop.

So what you are saying is its ok to miss out on all the vitamins and minerals in fruits and natural carbs and choose added sugar corn syrup laden cereals as long as you hit your macros lol

• 3bambi3
    Options

Please just stop.

So what you are saying is its ok to miss out on all the vitamins and minerals in fruits and natural carbs and choose added sugar corn syrup laden cereals as long as you hit your macros lol

No. He said if they were hitting all of their macro AND micro nutrient goals.
  • belleamore1234
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Please just stop.

Why not?

Are you seriously asking why artifical ingredient laden foods are not as healthy as natural ones?

• 3bambi3
    Options

Please just stop.

Why not?

Are you seriously asking why artifical ingredient laden foods are not as healthy as natural ones?

Yes. And I'm not asking for your opinion.
  • belleamore1234
    Options

Please just stop.

No. He said if they were hitting all of their macro AND micro nutrient goals.

No he posed the question that they would be equally healthy, I am clearly saying they wouldn't

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Please just stop.

I am talking about overall health! Not macro requirements I am talking about whats good for the body, refined white sugar added to foods is not as healthy as naturally produced sugars in fruit and natural carbs ...
    I am talking about whats good for the body, refined white [naturally produced sugar from sugar cane] added to foods is not as healthy as naturally produced sugars in fruit and natural carbs.

Sugar cane is a natural thing, right? How does the refining make it unhealthy?

This discussion has been closed.