Opinions on so called 'healthy snacks'

Options

Replies

• Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Well, that escalated quickly. It went from asking about healthy snack options to xenophobia. Just another day on the MFP forums.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Jaxxie1181 wrote: »
    Well, that escalated quickly. It went from asking about healthy snack options to xenophobia. Just another day on the MFP forums.

can I trouble you for a kitteh gif to round things off before this thread gets closed down?!
  • ArtsyAlexis
    ArtsyAlexis Posts: 29 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I think what everybody is failing to do is stick with the actual topic posted.

This argument could go on forever and ever and ever and ever and ever but the fact is, both sides are failing to look at the other and failing just as much to put any factual evidence on the board.

I mean, really, it's like reading the comments on Youtube videos.
    I think you need to read the posts more closely.

It was pointed out that the sugar -- and fat -- weren't inherently bad and that the snacks in question were fine if they fit within the OP's caloric and macro goals. Then the "life force" of sugar cane got injected into the conversation. But, yeah, if the other side of the argument is "lack of life force in the food" I'm certainly not persuaded.

OP never even asked about the difference in sugars. OP asked about what micros were and what healthy snacks are out there. Not about "natural" vs "refined" sugars.

Way to go everybody hijacking what could've been a good post.

That's all I'm contributing to this pointless string of bull.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    For me, snacks are not filling. I would rather go hungry in between meals and then eat something of substance. There is no medical or health need to eat snacks throughout the day.

I recommend to others that they simply drop snacks altogether to meet calorie goals. When hungry, drink something calorie-free instead.

What? So because it doesn't work for you, no one should snack? There is also no medical or health reason to *not* snack throughout the day if it helps you meet your goals.

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    lol this thread delivers

https://youtu.be/Qg_belm6apc?t=1m13s
  • 3bambi3
    Options

can I trouble you for a kitteh gif to round things off before this thread gets closed down?!

How about a kitteh and pancakes?

url-2.gif
  • ArtsyAlexis
    ArtsyAlexis Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    lol this thread delivers

https://youtu.be/Qg_belm6apc?t=1m13s

*kitten* Hawks sums this up pretty well.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

This argument could go on forever and ever and ever and ever and ever but the fact is, both sides are failing to look at the other and failing just as much to put any factual evidence on the board.

It was pointed out that the sugar -- and fat -- weren't inherently bad and that the snacks in question were fine if they fit within the OP's caloric and macro goals. Then the "life force" of sugar cane got injected into the conversation. But, yeah, if the other side of the argument is "lack of life force in the food" I'm certainly not persuaded.

OP never even asked about the difference in sugars. OP asked about what micros were and what healthy snacks are out there. Not about "natural" vs "refined" sugars.

Again, reading is fundamental. I didn't claim the OP did ask that. It was the "life force" contingent that injected that irrelevancy into the conversation. Until that point, it was pointed out to OP that the snacks are perfectly fine if they fit within her goals. Her question was answered.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

url-2.gif

Needs more syrup
  • Jaxxie1181
    Options

giphy.gif

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    They are packed with added sugar as on thier own they would be completely unpalatable, that being said if you are logging then you should be able to keep on top of how much sugar you are eating and staying within your macros. If eating this alone tips you over the egde with sugar swap for porridge and fruit for breakfast and ryvita with cream cheese for snacks this will cut down the refined sugar content

so swap one form of sugar with another???

Please just stop.

There is a big difference between natural sugar and refined sugar if you are talking about overall health

oh really? and what would that be?

If person A hits their micros and eats added sugar and Person B hits their micros and eats "natural sugar" then why would person B be healthier than person A as they are both hitting their micro requirements.

I am talking about overall health! Not macro requirements I am talking about whats good for the body, refined white sugar added to foods is not as healthy as naturally produced sugars in fruit and natural carbs if you are attempting to argue with that you must be insane just because two people are hitting the same macro requirements doesn't mean they have the same level of health someone that chooses to hit thier macros eating a snicker isn't going to be as healthy as someone that chooses a natural alternative to get thier sugars on a regular basis

I am talking about micronutrients, not macronutrients.

If both people in my example eat nutrient dense foods, and hit micros, how can the natural sugar person have better overall health than the added sugar person?

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Again, reading is fundamental. I didn't claim the OP did ask that. It was the "life force" contingent that injected that irrelevancy into the conversation. Until that point, it was pointed out to OP that the snacks are perfectly fine if they fit within her goals. Her question was answered.

I think you need to read again. The life force thing came later. Shots have been fired from both sides, but one side was clearly baited in this thread. And it happened on page 1. This never should have become a sugar thread.

• ndj1979
    Options
    They are packed with added sugar as on thier own they would be completely unpalatable, that being said if you are logging then you should be able to keep on top of how much sugar you are eating and staying within your macros. If eating this alone tips you over the egde with sugar swap for porridge and fruit for breakfast and ryvita with cream cheese for snacks this will cut down the refined sugar content

Please just stop.

There is a big difference between natural sugar and refined sugar if you are talking about overall health

If person A hits their micros and eats added sugar and Person B hits their micros and eats "natural sugar" then why would person B be healthier than person A as they are both hitting their micro requirements.

So what you are saying is its ok to miss out on all the vitamins and minerals in fruits and natural carbs and choose added sugar corn syrup laden cereals as long as you hit your macros lol

No. He said if they were hitting all of their macro AND micro nutrient goals.

No he posed the question that they would be equally healthy, I am clearly saying they wouldn't

you need to go back and read and comprehend what I said. I clearly said they both hit MICRONUTRIENTS..

or is you argument that you can't eat added sugar and hit micros???????????
  • Jaxxie1181
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Dear Laura, if you like the Aldi snacks and they satisfy your cravings at work and you're still within your calorie deficit I say go for it. If you're looking for snacks that are low-sugar, do you have a way of refrigerating things at your job? Hummus and cut up veggies is delicious. Really satisfying (especially with crunchy veggies) and definitely not as high in sugar, if that is a concern to you.
  • 3bambi3
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

url-2.gif

Needs more syrup

Sorry, all of the syrup was missing sufficient life force to be good enough for the pancakes.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Please just stop.

I am talking about overall health! Not macro requirements I am talking about whats good for the body, refined white sugar added to foods is not as healthy as naturally produced sugars in fruit and natural carbs if you are attempting to argue with that you must be insane just because two people are hitting the same macro requirements doesn't mean they have the same level of health someone that chooses to hit thier macros eating a snicker isn't going to be as healthy as someone that chooses a natural alternative to get thier sugars on a regular basis

Why not?

Are you seriously asking why artifical ingredient laden foods are not as healthy as natural ones?

Yes. And I'm not asking for your opinion.

Maybe the the concept of asking a question is lost, it usually warrants an answer!
    By "not asking for your opinion" she means "asking for scientific facts."

Refined sugar has no nutritional value, none it has no life force no vitamins and no minerals - sugar cane before it is refined does so if you still want to tell me one is equally as healthy as the other well ..................................

I did not know that any food contained a "life force'...

OK we are in la la land and I am suspecting troll force one is landing...
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

I think you need to read again. The life force thing came later. Shots have been fired from both sides, but one side was clearly baited in this thread. And it happened on page 1. This never should have become a sugar thread.
    The very first dang non-OP post in the thread was the "life force" person talking about refined sugar. The. very. first. post. Then, when said poster was asked for supporting data, the "life force" thing emerged.

In between, the OP was told that the snacks were fine if they fit within her goals.

• TavistockToad
    Options

url-2.gif

topical, I like it!
  • TavistockToad
    Options

giphy.gif

is that a cat inside a turtles shell????
  • ndj1979
    Options

That's all I'm contributing to this pointless string of bull.

and the other poster came flying in with some BS argument about refined sugar vs natural sugar that does not even make sense. So are we just supposed to let pseudoscience go unchallenged?
This discussion has been closed.