A few questions for ladies who lift

Options
I am thoroughly inspired by another thread but am completely ignorant about lifting. I seem to be one of those people who assume lifting makes you bulky :| I can see from some amazing pictures that this is the wrong view to have! I have been doing research but I have a few (probably silly) questions:

1) I still have 24 pounds to lose. At the moment I go to the gym 3 X a week and just do cardio. I would love to try lifting instead but I only have time, realistically, for the 3X a week. Is that enough?

2) Should I perhaps lose more weight before trying out lifting? Not sure why I feel like I should carry on as I am, probably due to fear of a new routine upsetting my weight loss.

3) I've been looking at some websites other members have recommended and a lot of these recommend taking pills, eating every two hours, eating clean etc. Can I assume that if I just continue counting calories, I will still see results without taking pills etc?

Thanks for your patience and help! Just got to work up the courage to set foot in the weights room now!

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I am a total lifting newbie - just started a month ago and I love it!

1. 3 times a week is good. I am doing Stronglifts 5x5 which is a 3 day a week program. Eventually; I may switch to a program that has me in the gym more frequently, but 3 a week is a great start.
    2. That's totally up to you. If you're nervous about changing your routine, that's understandable but I don't think there's any reason to worry that you'll upset your weight loss (you may see the scale go up for a few weeks as you retain water at first)
    3. YES! Ignore all the crap about pills and eating every two hours, etc... It's all just noise. Lifting and eating at a deficit will get you where you want to go.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

1) I still have 24 pounds to lose. At the moment I go to the gym 3 X a week and just do cardio. I would love to try lifting instead but I only have time, realistically, for the 3X a week. Is that enough?

3x/wk is fine. (I'm assuming you mean you'd be lifting 3x/wk.) Most full body routines are going to be 3x/wk. Examples are Strong Curves, NROLFW, StrongLifts 5x5, etc.

2) Should I perhaps lose more weight before trying out lifting? Not sure why I feel like I should carry on as I am, probably due to fear of a new routine upsetting my weight loss.

No need to wait. I'd start now. You will likely experience a bit of a stall and possible even a slight increase on the scale when you first start. This is due to water retention (to help repair muscles) and not fat gain so don't freak out about it. Just stay the course.

3) I've been looking at some websites other members have recommended and a lot of these recommend taking pills, eating every two hours, eating clean etc. Can I assume that if I just continue counting calories, I will still see results without taking pills etc?

No need for pills, eating every two hours, or "eating clean." Continue with what you are doing now. I would suggest eating back your exercise calories, though, if you are not already doing so. Or at least a portion of them.

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    I am a total lifting newbie - just started a month ago and I love it!

1. 3 times a week is good. I am doing Stronglifts 5x5 which is a 3 day a week program. Eventually; I may switch to a program that has me in the gym more frequently, but 3 a week is a great start.
    2. That's totally up to you. If you're nervous about changing your routine, that's understandable but I don't think there's any reason to worry that you'll upset your weight loss (you may see the scale go up for a few weeks as you retain water at first)
    3. YES! Ignore all the crap about pills and eating every two hours, etc... It's all just noise. Lifting and eating at a deficit will get you where you want to go.

+1 to all of this
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Five years ago, I lost almost 70 lbs by diet & cardio (you know runners don't lift ;) ). After a year of maintaining, I decided to meet with a personal trainer & start lifting. Back then, I thought it was a compliment when he said "you really are small". No, I wasn't small, I was a walking bag of bones. :s Fast forward to now...I lift 4x week, with boot camp & walking in between with the direction of a PT. Steer clear of pills & yes eat clean. I've been Paleo for over 2 years now.
    Friend me if you want...while I don't count calories or portions or points, I still try to keep up on the latest on MFP.

Good luck to you! :)
  • lilypond45
    lilypond45 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks, this is really helpful! I will continue to do some research, perhaps lose a few more pounds in the meantime and then give it a go!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Any lifting now is good.
    Try starting strength
    strong lifts
    new rules of lifting for woman
    strong curves.

good places to get you started.

Keep losing weight- but don't delay on lifting.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

StrongLifts 5X5 is a 3X a week program. Each lifting day is 30-45 minutes and is meant to be in lieu of cardio.

I did 6 weeks of stronglifts before I started to burn out (you're meant to do 8, I think?). If anything, it increased my rate of weight loss. I did a second round of stronglifts when I was closer to my goal and had a hard time staying within my calories. I think lifting increased my appetite. I had to stop for that reason, not because it stalled my loss. I'm about to restart a 3rd round with only 3-6 lbs to go.

No pills necessary, so long as you're getting adequate protein. MFP recommends 20%. I'm bad- I generally fall in the 15-17% range and I still see results.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    My only regret: not starting to lift earlier. Just pick a program (and you can find plenty listed in the forums) and start.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    lilypond45 wrote: »
    I am thoroughly inspired by another thread but am completely ignorant about lifting. I seem to be one of those people who assume lifting makes you bulky :| I can see from some amazing pictures that this is the wrong view to have! I have been doing research but I have a few (probably silly) questions:

Thanks for your patience and help! Just got to work up the courage to set foot in the weights room now!

LIfting 3x a week is plenty. SL 5x5 is a great program
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

I did it for 9 months, switched it to 3x5 now doing another program.

Start lifting now

Just count calories and get in at least 0.8 grams of protein for every lb of body weight and adjust as necessary.

No pills etc needed.

• bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    All of the above! Smart ladies telling you smart things. :-) I do crossfit 4x a week, which includes heavy lifting at least 3 of those days--and the more muscle mass you have, the better you'll look and feel (and the more calories you will burn at a resting rate). I gained 3lbs of muscle in the past couple months and my resting metabolic burn rate went up 50 calories. Eating the same amount now as I did then makes me lose even faster (if I'm in a leaning out stage). I agree with the protein--use carbs to fuel your workouts (give you energy to hit lifts and move weight) and use protein to build your muscles. I've seen many women burn out of weightlifting because they are low-carb and can't sustain the energy needed to move a lot of weight (not true for everyone, but it's definitely true for me).

Oh, and I don't eat "clean" or anything like that. And I don't take pills or supplements. And I've seen drastic improvements and changes over the past 2.5 years I've been lifting heavy (including major fat loss).
  • Cheyenne_K_
    Cheyenne_K_ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When I first started lifting it would take me like 2 hours because I didn't know what to do, so I would Google exercises between sets. Spend some time researching two to three exercises for each major body group and then watch YouTube videos on form, start with light weights until you are confident to go a little heavier, and Always make sure you know what your working out, that the exercise is safe for your joints.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Lift. You won't regret it.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Start NOW! I wish I'd started ten years sooner.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Lift! Lifting is awesome!

I recommend that you grab the book: "New Rules of Lifting For Women" and read up. The workouts are short and effective. I'm doing those now at 2 times per week and it's not a huge change, it's do-able, and I'm seeing changes already. I think it's a great place to start and from that book there are soooo many ways go to next. :smiley:
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I am 49 years old and have been lifting since age 19. I have done more and less through my life, but lifting does not effect my weight loss at all. Actually in many cases it helps.

What I have gained from lifting is the following:

1- I don't need help carrying most boxes.
    2- I need to move furniture, guess what I can
    3- I have a knee problem, I never had the collapse associated with my problem, why because I did all the exercises recommended.
    4- Hurt my ankle last summer, I have been working to heal it, no problems with balance or strength and didn't face many of the problems associated with this because of strength.
    5- My Posture is better

I lift for overall life support and help. When I am old, I want to be able to do stuff. I don't want to have trouble and lifting helps me retain muscle.

So there are some of the NSV results you also get from lifting :smiley:
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    BlueInkDot wrote: »

I recommend that you grab the book: "New Rules of Lifting For Women" and read up. The workouts are short and effective. I'm doing those now at 2 times per week and it's not a huge change, it's do-able, and I'm seeing changes already. I think it's a great place to start and from that book there are soooo many ways go to next. :smiley:

I really liked the information provided in NROLFW but I found the program to complicated and fussy for my liking.
    Regardless, OP, I think you should get the book, read it twice, and pick any of the programs that have been mentioned already.
  • lilypond45
    Options
    Thank you so much all, I have begun using utube. Ok, I will make an effort to start this week!
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have really come to love weight lifting. I have the same issue as you, though, with the time. I've tried to mix in some cardio. So, for example, I have a little routine where I do my bench press and then instead of sitting and resting, I do lunges, and then these back exercises (it's that apparatus where you hang upside down and lift up with your back muscles. It's kind of like doing a reverse ab crunch). Other things I do is cycle through exercises. So I do a set of squats, and then a set of tricep pulldowns. I also stretch in between weight lifting sets, which saves some time (if stretching is part of your routine).

I'm seeing differences in how I look and measurements, but I"m not seeing a huge scale difference. Others posters and discussions have said to just be patient, so I am trying to do just that! But I have seen the before and afters of women who lift and I think weight lifting has got to be the best thing for transforming one's body. But that is just my humble opinion!
  • lilypond45
    Options
    I just spoke to my sister, who is my gym buddy, and apparently she used to lift years ago. I had no idea she ever did it! I feel better now, like I am not going into it completely blind! She has agreed to start it up again too
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    BlueInkDot wrote: »

I really liked the information provided in NROLFW but I found the program to complicated and fussy for my liking.
    Regardless, OP, I think you should get the book, read it twice, and pick any of the programs that have been mentioned already.

I agree with this. Love the book, no interest in running that program.