Low carb food ideas??

Options
Hey!
I recently tore my ACL which stopped me from exercising for a while which then turned into binging on food that I shouldn't be.
I have just been given the all clear to start exercising again but my diet is abysmal. I have lost confidence during this time so thought I'd try a diet that I haven't tried which is low carb.
I have read that anything as high as 100g carbs is considered low carb but I'd like to start around 20-30g a week and start to increase it after a while.
If anyone has tried this, do you have any meal ideas? Also any recommendations of what I should do
Thanks for reading!

Tom

Replies

• good2wilcox
    good2wilcox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    I recently tore my ACL which stopped me from exercising for a while which then turned into binging on food that I shouldn't be.
    I have just been given the all clear to start exercising again but my diet is abysmal. I have lost confidence during this time so thought I'd try a diet that I haven't tried which is low carb.
    I have read that anything as high as 100g carbs is considered low carb but I'd like to start around 20-30g a week and start to increase it after a while.
    If anyone has tried this, do you have any meal ideas? Also any recommendations of what I should do
    Thanks for reading!

Tom

Depending on what u like. Cook a piece of ur favorite meat than have a salad and winter acorn squash.

Or try Spegahetti squas in stead of regular pasta.
    Also califlower crust pizza is good. Jusg depending on whag u like to eat.
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If you mean 100 grams of carbs total for the entire day then Id argue thats too low and could backfire on you. I'd suggest trying to stay in the 150 grams to 200 grams per day at a minimum to properly fuel your body and keep things in balance. These crazy diets that slant way too far in one direction just dont cut it, IMO. Try and stick with complex carbs like brown rice, sweet potatoes, grains, stuff like that. Make sure to get a good amount of fiber too.

Just my two cents. I have recently added some carbs back into my diet and I feel better, I get better weight lifting workouts in, and my energy level is higher. I eat around 200 - 225 grams of carbs per day.
  • thomas_odell
    thomas_odell Posts: 6 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    What macro split do you have s2mikey? Percentage wise
  • jodienjayden
    jodienjayden Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Eggs and cheese, any meat, salad, broccoli, shrimp scampi or any shrimp you prefer, any fish, sugar free jello.....
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I found some MFP's with lists of ideas. Most keep carbs forever in the 25-50 gram range of carbs daily. I just learned carbs are not part of the required food groups for humans because humans can make all of the carbs that are required if we eat the right amounts of Protein and Fat.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Remember to add fats and oils like butter, mayonnaise, olive oil.
    Some low carb veggies include: spinach, bok choy, lettuce, olives, collard greens, pickles, avocado, zucchini.
  • lefoll
    lefoll Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check out www.reddit.com/r/keto
    It's a community of people who are following the ketogenic diet. There's also www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes for good recipe ideas.
  • comeongethealthyro
    comeongethealthyro Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    20-30g carbs a day?! that's not optimal at all for your recovery!
  • dormeanour
    dormeanour Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    s2mikey wrote: »
    If you mean 100 grams of carbs total for the entire day then Id argue thats too low and could backfire on you. I'd suggest trying to stay in the 150 grams to 200 grams per day at a minimum to properly fuel your body and keep things in balance. These crazy diets that slant way too far in one direction just dont cut it, IMO. Try and stick with complex carbs like brown rice, sweet potatoes, grains, stuff like that. Make sure to get a good amount of fiber too.

Just my two cents. I have recently added some carbs back into my diet and I feel better, I get better weight lifting workouts in, and my energy level is higher. I eat around 200 - 225 grams of carbs per day.

I eat less than 20g of carbs a day and I am not dead. In fact, I feel more than alive. Everyone is different, carbs make me feel lazy as hell and increase my appetite for junk.
  • jillyrose0711
    jillyrose0711 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    20-30 grams a day will likely leave you feeling just awful. your body needs carbs to function! don't be scared of good carbs like some of the other posters have suggested
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    100ish carbs a day work perfect for me. All depends on activity. I am lightly active.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    The End of Diabetes

Joel Fuhrnan

Has some good low carb ideas. Not only for diabetics. It has some ideas on getting complex carbs from veggies that are naturally low carb.

Take what works!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if you are not in a calorie deficit then no matter what you do - low carb, paleo, IIFYM, etc - you are not going to lose weight.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    this is what I would suggest:

enter your stats into MFP and set for one pound per week loss
    eat to the number that MFP gives you
    log everything you eat
    get a food scale and weight all solid foods and as many liquids as possible
    find a form of exercise that you like (not necessary) and do it
    don't by into all this BS about good and bad foods, there are no good and bad foods there is just food that you use for energy and nutrients. Make sure you are getting the majority of foods from nutrient dense source,but eating ice cream, cookies, etc is OK.
    make sure you hit macros/micros

repeat until you get desired results..

• ndj1979
    Options
    I found some MFP's with lists of ideas. Most keep carbs forever in the 25-50 gram range of carbs daily. I just learned carbs are not part of the required food groups for humans because humans can make all of the carbs that are required if we eat the right amounts of Protein and Fat.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

where did you learn that gem from?
  • Fabulousfoodiefun
    Fabulousfoodiefun Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    For the record....without the drama, I love veggies with hummus. Just sayin