Breast feeding moms?

Options
Any breast feeding moms that just had a baby trying to lose weight or control there diet ?

Replies

• LindsMM1
    LindsMM1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My little girl was born in January so I'm back after taking a 9 month break. At first I was trying to limit my calorie intake to 1200 but that affected my supply so I'm currently at 1700 and that seems to be working out well. When was your baby born?
  • jessie285
    jessie285 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    LindsMM1 wrote: »
    My little girl was born in January so I'm back after taking a 9 month break. At first I was trying to limit my calorie intake to 1200 but that affected my supply so I'm currently at 1700 and that seems to be working out well. When was your baby born?

My little one was born March 18t. & I'm now back to mfp and looking for support!
  • mantrini
    mantrini Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, my little girl was born in February. I can't lose any weight on my own. Starting this. Would love some support. How is your weight loss going?
  • Gpiazza1996
    Gpiazza1996 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My little girl was born Dec 29th 2014
    I'm EBF and trying to loose 25lbs although I won't loose the last 10lbs till I'm done breastfeeding.
  • leelee459
    leelee459 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is my second time nursing and using this. My supply suffered at anything under 1700 calories. I had to eat oatmeal every day almost last time so trying to find a happy medium. I lost 10-20 lbs last time....and got pregnant ....was wondering why my weight plateaued. lol. Baby 3 months old and trying to lose again. Current weight....too much. Mini goal....get under 200.
  • KristinaGehrum11
    KristinaGehrum11 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My last baby was born January 2nd and I need to lose weight but my supply is slowly dwindling.. I need to lose 80 lbs fast but I need to nurse as well. Any suggestions to meet the calorie quota but not gain
  • bjacks1422
    bjacks1422 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I definitely understand bc I am nursing as well. Add more vegetables to your everyday intake. I was told to eat the rainbow of vegetables to lose weight. Also greens and carrots help to produce more milk. I hope this helps!

-B-
  • KristinaGehrum11
    Options
    Actually helps a lot. I get so hungry afterwords.. Try to eat healthy and get calories I need but hasn't been working out and my supply has suffored so much that I had to supplement a couple times a day afterwards to make sure that she eats
  • bjacks1422
    bjacks1422 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My doctor also recommended mothers milk tea and fenugreek supplements. They work well too. Also I know that this app tells us how many calories we should have but a nursing mom should maintain 2,500 calories a day. Just try to do portion control and also eat small meals and healthy snacks every 3 hours.

-B-
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    My baby was born in January... 19 weeks post partum.

LLL recommends a MINIMUM of 1800 calories for breastfeeding mothers, and that's not accounting for exercise or anything like that.

I'm coming up on my 2nd year anniversary with MFP. I lost 57 lbs before getting pregnant (was Obese and moved down to Overweight). Gained 24.6 lbs during my pregnancy (still logging). At 17 weeks post partum I'd lost that last of my pregnancy weight and now 2 weeks later I'm 3 1/2 lbs under my pre-pregnancy weight. I'm 5'2 and (currently) 151.6 lbs. I eat 2000 calories a day (with little to no exercise atm... you know.. time is short with a nursing baby).

You really need to make sure your supply is not suffering. I know it's hard to balance, but it can be done.
  • KristinaGehrum11
    Options
    Thanks you guys..so helpful
  • AllisonDeLeon10
    AllisonDeLeon10 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had my second child March 24. I am also trying to get in better shape for my children. However when do y'all work out? Between a 2 yr olr and 2 month old, I can't find the time to properly cook or exercise like I would like. Any suggestion? Would enjoy some friends who are going threw this as well. Feel free to add me!! Thanks
  • rubbie78
    rubbie78 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

LLL recommends a MINIMUM of 1800 calories for breastfeeding mothers, and that's not accounting for exercise or anything like that.

I'm coming up on my 2nd year anniversary with MFP. I lost 57 lbs before getting pregnant (was Obese and moved down to Overweight). Gained 24.6 lbs during my pregnancy (still logging). At 17 weeks post partum I'd lost that last of my pregnancy weight and now 2 weeks later I'm 3 1/2 lbs under my pre-pregnancy weight. I'm 5'2 and (currently) 151.6 lbs. I eat 2000 calories a day (with little to no exercise atm... you know.. time is short with a nursing baby).

You really need to make sure your supply is not suffering. I know it's hard to balance, but it can be done.

That's good to know I need a minimum of 1800 calories, is that for any body weight? I just came back to MFP, baby boy born in January and I'm still nursing. would love to use MFP for discipline and when my son weans in the future. Right now I just eat, which I know is not good. I would love to lose 12-15lbs that I can't seem to shake off.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    rubbie78 wrote: »

That's good to know I need a minimum of 1800 calories, is that for any body weight? I just came back to MFP, baby boy born in January and I'm still nursing. would love to use MFP for discipline and when my son weans in the future. Right now I just eat, which I know is not good. I would love to lose 12-15lbs that I can't seem to shake off.

The number LLL doesn't state anything about weight/height/age... which you know.. would be helpful. I think they're just stating that that's the minimum for most (lactating) women... just like 1200 is the minimum for women (non-pregnant/lactating) for your base nutrition. Below those numbers, you're not providing your body with enough nutrients.

I actually just made a thread last night about pregnancy and breast-feeding, because these questions get asked all the time... so I'll leave it here for anyone who wants to give it a read:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176233/gaining-weight-during-pregnancy-and-losing-it-post-partum
  • rubbie78
    rubbie78 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    rubbie78 wrote: »

The number LLL doesn't state anything about weight/height/age... which you know.. would be helpful. I think they're just stating that that's the minimum for most (lactating) women... just like 1200 is the minimum for women (non-pregnant/lactating) for your base nutrition. Below those numbers, you're not providing your body with enough nutrients.

I actually just made a thread last night about pregnancy and breast-feeding, because these questions get asked all the time... so I'll leave it here for anyone who wants to give it a read:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176233/gaining-weight-during-pregnancy-and-losing-it-post-partum

Thanks! I'll follow that link and read
  • Luci7C
    Luci7C Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just re-logged in after some time off. I just had my son in February and at first lost a lot of weight, but it has crept back on (because I haven't been keeping track of anything). Is there a group for breastfeeding moms on here? I tried looking for one, but couldn't find it in the groups section :)
  • mcmurphy287
    mcmurphy287 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just had a baby January 25 and am having a really hard time resisting cravings. Even though I'm breastfeeding and have been watching my calories for a couple months (aiming for 1800 per day), I haven't lost a pound. I'm getting pretty frustrated but definitely don't want to do anything to disrupt my supply. Any suggestions for someone who isn't shedding pounds left and right while nursing but needs to, you know, fit in some of her clothes again? So she doesn't have to buy all new ones...
  • amanda_the_mom
    amanda_the_mom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm nursing my 2.5 year old. I have trouble losing weight while nursing, but now that I've started MFP I see that it really is just a matter of calories in vs calories out. I think that rule of 1800 is probably not to lose weight. I have MFP calculate my calories then add breastfeeding as a food. There are many entries for breastfeeding depending on the age or frequency. It adds negative calories. If your worried about your supply, just set a modest loss like 0.5 lbs per week then add breastfeeding each morning.