I cannot control my appetite or binging

Options

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Have you tried simply weighing (with a food scale) and logging everything you're currently eating? Every bite, nibble, etc. You can even use your MFP diary to break up the day the way you normally do, like, "Before work" "during work" "after work" "after 8 pm." That way you can start seeing patterns. Before you ever cut calories or change your macros, you need to know exactly what you're currently doing. It also might make you more contentious. Instead of nibbling on bits of crackers, putting 5 on a food scale and then logging them before eating them is an extra step or two. In that time, you may find you're not as interested in eating them.

After you have about a week of data you can decide where you want to make improvements on your habits.

There may be a psychological aspect that you need to address, as @Tedebearduff is suggesting.
  • Taniab43
    Taniab43 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    htoug wrote: »
    Like, honestly cannot control it whatsoever. If I'm bored, I'll eat. If I want to eat, I'll eat. I'll scavenge the kitchen for random bits of food and eat whatever I can find. I hardly ever eat meals and I usually will eat probably 200 calories worth of carbs as soon as I get home. I'm never satisfied. I usually have to have cereal and a muffin in the morning to not be hungry anymore. I don't get it. Why am I never full unless I stuff my face? And why can't I control my binging and scavenging problem? I'm not overweight, but I'm not at the weight I want to be nor do I look how I want to. Regardless, my eating habits aren't healthy. Does anyone else have this problem that can help?

PGX really helps me! Try also drinking water just before you eat. I eat protein at every meal. The trick for me is to eat before I am even hungry. I usually will take my PGX right when I wake up with a large glass of water. Then When I do eat I eat protein. I like vega greens and protein shake mixed with blueberries, spinach and maybe some carrots, oh and some u sweetensd almond milk. You will need your fats too. So I have a slice of spelt bread toasted with natural peanut butter. This breakfast gets me off to a good start. Try to eat every 2 to 3 hours.

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    You said you hardly ever eat meals? Maybe that's the problem. Eat larger meals to help you stay fuller? And drink some sparkling water when you feel like snacking? Keep a book close to you for when you're bored?
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You can control it. You just need to focus and work on control. I'm the same way. I'll be bored and I'll just eat even though I know I shouldn't and suddenly I just wasted half my calories. If you're bored, focus on finding another hobby rather than thinking about food. Next time you want to binge have some pre-prepared vegetables or healthy fruit and set portions. It's just something you have to work on. Try to drink more water so you don't feel hungry before meals and make sure your meals are filling.
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    That was me! I just started a low carb high fat diet and have been able to stay in my 1200 calorie goal. I don't snack anymore because I'm always satisfied. No hunger pains. For boredom eating I'll go for a walk or start a home project (cleaning, fixing something, gardening etc)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    htoug wrote: »
    I hardly ever eat meals....And why can't I control my binging and scavenging problem?

Everyone is different, but for me these two things would be related. If I rely on just snacking I don't get full and I tend to eat too much of things that aren't very filling (like muffins). If I have a reasonable meal schedule and eat balanced meals with protein and vegetables and healthy fats, along with some starchy carbs, I tend not to be hungry between meals and have an easier time just telling myself to wait until my next meal.

Having a plan really helps. Assuming you can just wing it and tell yourself not to eat makes it much harder than it needs to be.
  • IamMicah
    IamMicah Posts: 133 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    RePlan, RePlace, ReWire.... You have to do this.

First RePlan..you need to plan ahead so if you do need to EAT you EAT smarter than before. Make sure you plan to eat an hour before you get home. you know that's a guaranteed binge time so beat it. Specifically have on hand what you PLAN to binge on. Berries, Carrots, Nuts, Carrots. Whatever it is have it on hand and more readily available than the simple carbs. Have it Preportioned so you grab a snack bag of carrots and you burn through them you mentally have to accept that you are going to burn through a second bag of carrots.

Replace... Anytime we have a bad habit we don't just quit doing the bad habit we replace the bad habit with a different habit the brain changes what satisfies its triggers. So you need to find a replacement. Step one is Replanning; planning ahead for that craving is a really good step but I want to encourage you to try activity during the craving either as an alternative or in addition to it. So when that craving comes. Stop; say this is my time to change I'm going to eat a healthier choice and I'm going to go walk for 10 -15 minutes. As soon as you start to walk away from that bad food your cravings will subside and each time you successfully choose against the cravings you are building a stronger and stronger willpower to overcome the most difficult times. Don't give into that mental weakness replace that habit of eating with a new better habit.

Rewire...do this consistently and one day you will realize HAH! I BEAT IT!

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,969 Member
    Options
    Just posted this on another thread but it applies here as well. I suspect you're not getting enough protein and/or fiber.

Tips on how to feel fuller

So how can we best try to enhance these feelings of fullness to help us control how much we eat? Here are some top tips for helping you feel fuller:
    • Foods high in protein seem to make us feel fuller than foods high in fat or carbohydrate, so including some protein at every meal should help keep you satisfied. Foods high in protein include meats such as chicken, ham or beef, fish, eggs, beans and pulses.
    • If you are watching your weight, opt for lower fat versions, using leaner cuts of meat, cutting off visible fat and avoiding the skin on poultry as this will help reduce the energy density of the diet, which can help to enhance satiety (see below).
    • Foods that are high in fibre may also enhance feelings of fullness so try to include plenty of high-fibre foods in the diet such as wholegrain bread and cereals, beans and pulses and fruit and vegetables.
    • Alcohol seems to stimulate appetite in the short-term and therefore drinking alcohol is likely to encourage us to eat more. Alcoholic beverages can make you forget about your intentions to eat healthily by making you lose your inhibitions. Alcoholic drinks are also calorific, so you should cut down on alcohol consumption if you are trying to control your weight.
    • The ‘energy density’ of food has a strong influence on feelings of fullness or satiety. Energy density is the amount of energy (or calories) per gram of food. Lower energy density foods provide less energy per gram of food so you can eat more of them without consuming too many calories. Low energy density foods include fruit and vegetables, foods with lots of water added when cooking such as soups and stews, and lower fat foods. Click here for more information on energy density.

Read more: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Logging a cheat before I ate it helped me. If I wanted something sweet and I was having a bad day, I would allow myself the treat, but I would record it in the app and watch its affect on my calorie intake for the day. That way, I was acknowledging that I was eating a cheat, that I would go over my daily allotment, and that I would have to face the possible consequences from over-indulging.

Logging it beforehand also helped keep me from mentally "writing off" the cheat and grabbing something else five minutes later. And, more times than not, seeing the overage on my report helped keep me on track the next day.

Everyone's different and it does come down to willpower and taking responsibility for your own decisions (even if they were hastily made), but really - LOG EVERYTHING. Seeing it really does help keep yourself accountable.

(Addendum: I would encourage you - if you make the decision to cheat or binge, don't give up on the day afterward. So many times, I'd get depressed and then keep eating because "the day is already shot, so it doesn't matter". When I changed that to "I made a mistake this morning, but I've got the rest of the day to get back on track", or "Friday night was bad, but let's make the rest of the weekend good" it made a huge difference.)
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    KatsuNinja wrote: »
    There are no good or bad foods. Only eating the right amount of calories.

I'd have to strongly disagree. You can have a small chocolate bar, or a generous bowl of steamed veggies and dahl - same amount of calories, but I bet I know which one will send you lurking in the cupboards 30min later!

The type of food that you eat makes a massive difference. Don't deny yourself food and make yourself miserable - instead, try snacking on low carb/higher protein things, do a little but of research, it's what's going to get you there in the long run.

Absolutely

Only on MFP have is seen people attempt to argue that a honey bun and bowl of black beans are equal foods when the calorie count is equal.

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would monitor my water intake to make sure I'm drinking enough water each day. I have personally found that the less carbs I eat the less hungry I feel. I don't think you have to get super low or anything but cutting back on carbs has helped me.
  • DeeJayShank
    DeeJayShank Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    For me, carbohydrates are never filling... never. Years ago I changed to eating most "incidental" carbs. This just means I don't eat things like toast and jam (which is pretty much all carbs), but I will gladly eat carbs that are part of a more balanced macronutrient make-up (i.e. cottage cheese has carbs, or a hamburger has carbs in the bun).

This isn't science, it's just a trick that I use to manage my intake. I know that by eating incidental carbs (pairing carbs with protein and fat), I am not going to be hungry in just a couple of hours.

Of course I am still flexible. If I am at a Mexican restaurant, I will eat chips and salsa... If I'm at a birthday party, I will eat a piece of cake if it pleases the host. We don't have to be robotic, we can still have flexibility and still pick and choose what we eat in certain limited situations.

But just like any good budgeter has rules for their spending habits, this is one of my own rules for managing intake, and it works pretty effortlessly.
  • DeeJayShank
    Options

I'd have to strongly disagree. You can have a small chocolate bar, or a generous bowl of steamed veggies and dahl - same amount of calories, but I bet I know which one will send you lurking in the cupboards 30min later!

The type of food that you eat makes a massive difference. Don't deny yourself food and make yourself miserable - instead, try snacking on low carb/higher protein things, do a little but of research, it's what's going to get you there in the long run.

Absolutely

Only on MFP have is seen people attempt to argue that a honey bun and bowl of black beans are equal foods when the calorie count is equal.

Agree. Foods can be equal calorie and have vastly different health and satiety profiles. While it's true that you could lose weight eating only twinkies, I'd like to see someone try. I'm guessing they would be walking around hungry all day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Foods can be equal calorie and have vastly different health and satiety profiles.

Of course. I've never seen anyone question that on MFP.

What people do point out is that there is some variation on what makes us feel satisfied. For example, advice was given above to avoid chicken with skin, as that's supposedly less satiating for the calories, but I find that including cuts of meat that have some fat actually helps me feel more satisfied, and there's no difficult in feeling full on a meal of appropriate calories that includes some chicken with skin, lots of veggies, and a starch, for me. If that's a problem for others, they should eat accordingly, but telling people they must avoid certain foods is not good advice.
  • DeeJayShank
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Foods can be equal calorie and have vastly different health and satiety profiles.

What people do point out is that there is some variation on what makes us feel satisfied. For example, advice was given above to avoid chicken with skin, as that's supposedly less satiating for the calories, but I find that including cuts of meat that have some fat actually helps me feel more satisfied, and there's no difficult in feeling full on a meal of appropriate calories that includes some chicken with skin, lots of veggies, and a starch, for me. If that's a problem for others, they should eat accordingly, but telling people they must avoid certain foods is not good advice.

I have definitely seen the IIFYM crowd on here claim that all macros are created equal. This premise completely ignores the fact that some macros are more satisfying than others. That was my point. I do believe in the power o IIFYM as a first step, but I also believe in choosing macros that help manage intake. And thus not all macros are created equal.

You'll hear no argument from me on your second point. It really is bad advice to recommend a complete aversion to some foods, because this is not easily sustainable in the long term.

That being said, I personally choose to avoid certain foods because the risk/reward profile isn't great. For example, I like spaghetti, but I prefer pizza. So when given the choice, I choose pizza because the macros in pizza more closely match my goals, and also because I prefer pizza period.

This, of course, is not the same as "avoiding" spaghetti, but instead recognizing that as much as I like spaghetti, I also like being thin and there are other preferred foods I like just as much as spaghetti, if not more, that will help to keep me thin.

I always go back the analogy of food and money. When you only have so much to spend, you choose not to buy expensive things because that would hurt your long-term goals. This is a healthy aversion, not a crazy one. Just because you COULD buy something expensive doesn't mean you ever should just for the heck of it. And thus the same goes for food. It's OK to cultivate a sense for one's self that certain food just are bad for long-term goals without providing substantive happiness, and being able to lose weight and maintain is about finding out which bad habits you need to get rid of, sometimes cold turkey.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,969 Member
    Options

Absolutely

Agree. Foods can be equal calorie and have vastly different health and satiety profiles. While it's true that you could lose weight eating only twinkies, I'd like to see someone try. I'm guessing they would be walking around hungry all day.

After the useful why-you-should-weigh-your-food video, this is the most frequently posted link I've seen on the General boards: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

So yes, the "100 calories of honey buns is equal to 100 calories of black beans" type of argument is indeed sadly prevalent here.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options

Steamed veggies or a small chocolate? One feeds your body; the other your soul. There is no reason to not enjoy both.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    make big actual meals that will fill you up and satisfy you . I find starches really fill me up like rice, quinoa,potatoes,sweet potatoes,oats,rice pasta

eat more calories and stay consistent at it that will help with the binging

pre weigh and measure out snacks you can have threw out the day

make sure you are getting at least 2 liters of water in a day

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I have definitely seen the IIFYM crowd on here claim that all macros are created equal. This premise completely ignores the fact that some macros are more satisfying than others. That was my point. I do believe in the power o IIFYM as a first step, but I also believe in choosing macros that help manage intake. And thus not all macros are created equal.

You'll hear no argument from me on your second point. It really is bad advice to recommend a complete aversion to some foods, because this is not easily sustainable in the long term.

That being said, I personally choose to avoid certain foods because the risk/reward profile isn't great. For example, I like spaghetti, but I prefer pizza. So when given the choice, I choose pizza because the macros in pizza more closely match my goals, and also because I prefer pizza period.

This, of course, is not the same as "avoiding" spaghetti, but instead recognizing that as much as I like spaghetti, I also like being thin and there are other preferred foods I like just as much as spaghetti, if not more, that will help to keep me thin.

I always go back the analogy of food and money. When you only have so much to spend, you choose not to buy expensive things because that would hurt your long-term goals. This is a healthy aversion, not a crazy one. Just because you COULD buy something expensive doesn't mean you ever should just for the heck of it. And thus the same goes for food. It's OK to cultivate a sense for one's self that certain food just are bad for long-term goals without providing substantive happiness, and being able to lose weight and maintain is about finding out which bad habits you need to get rid of, sometimes cold turkey.

@DeeJayShank WRONG!! You are reading into "IIFYM crowd" statements something that is not there. If they truly follow IIFYM or flexible dieting, they will say "all calories are created equal". I do not see the word MACRO anywhere in that statement. I dare you to go and find a knowledgeable follower of IIFYM that has said what you claim they are saying. You won't find one. However, you will find all kinds of people like yourself claiming that is what they are saying when that isn't even close.
  • katieshaheen66
    katieshaheen66 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    We can't be your will-power for you. If you want to lose weight you have to learn how to control yourself.

Yes! I was 20 pounds overweight because I could not control my eating habits! I would clear 2500 calories a day, easy. Constant eating and GIANT portions. Now that I am weighing my food, adding every single thing I consume into my food diary, it has started to click and after a month eating smaller portions, it became easy to eat 1200 calories a day. I have lost the 20 pounds excess and then some :smile: I keep chopped up veggies in my bag for when I am needing to snack, and always have a full bottle of water with me. If you are going to binge, drink a litre of water!