Losing Steam

Options
I've been on MFP for 48 days and starting to losing traction. I'm craving sweets and I've never even been a sweet-tooth! The last week or two I've been making less healthy food choices, though still staying within my caloric goals most (okay, some) days...

I'm 31 years old, 5'4" and 146 lbs. I weighed 120 lbs in my early 20s and I could eat or drink anything I wanted with little impact. In my late 20s I slid into the 130s. Last year an injury left me on the couch for months, and by the time I recovered I was dealing with work stress and self-medicating with food and alcohol. I knew I gained weight; I was up to a size 10 and struggling to get my pants to zip, but I just got depressed and ate more. Then I stood on a scale for the first time since my injury and almost passed out when I saw 155 on the scale. I immediately started tracking my food, though I wasn't ready to start working out. I fell off the wagon with a major binge in the first week, but regained control quickly.

At first the weight seemed to melt off - I lost 8 pounds in less than a month with what felt like very little effort. I fit back into a size 8! I started Couch to 5K!

But in the past 3 weeks I've only lost 1 lb and I'm starting to lose motivation. Someone took a picture of me at a party last week and posted it on facebook - my stomach stuck out farther than my boobs, which completely took the wind out of my sails. I've been craving really unhealthy foods. I've been making unhealthy food choices and finding excuses to justify them. It doesn't help that I have a full time job with a 1-hour commute each way, so I rarely have time to cook for myself. And my doctor put me on a no-dairy diet (suspected lactose intolerance) so I'm having an even harder time finding things to eat.

I don't know how to get myself back in a positive mindset. I'm still running, even on days I don't want to, but most days I just want to cry and eat an entire pizza with a pint of Ben & Jerry's. Does anyone have any advice to get past this hurtle?

Replies

• liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Keep at it, you can do it! You made a great start with 8lb loss. From here on thing will get "funny". One week you won't lose a thing, then you'll gain a pound, then you'll drop 3lb etc. etc.

Ones the initial big drop is over with, you will probably follow a downward wave pattern. Don't get discouraged by a slight increase or only small drops or being stuck for a week or 2.

Make sure you are in a deficit. For weight loss that is the most important.

If your doctor says no dairy that should be a priority too. Other than that... don't stress to much about your food choices right now. You'll get back in a better frame of mind and tackle that. Your exercise will help with that.

Just keep at it!

For non dairy foods.
    There are lots of tasty things. I'm sure an internet search can give you lots of ideas.
  • memorizinmo
    memorizinmo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm really struggling with the no dairy, as it has always been a major part of my diet. Cottage cheese and fruit were my go-to breakfast most days prior to this. If it does turn out that I have a lactose issue I will start buying lactaid products, but right now I'm avoiding dairy altogether to make sure I'm not throwing off the results of the elimination diet.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Are you allowed eggs? Boiled eggs are easy high protein for breakfast or snack. You can cook a whole carton and leave them in the fridge.

Dry cereal is pretty good (high fiber kinds) and you can try almond milk or something like that.
  • quintinmasonjr24
    quintinmasonjr24 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sometimes our body plateaus after the initial weight loss phase. We just have to try different things and keep our body guessing to lose more weight. I don't think you should beat yourself up about it. Everyone has been at where you are at now but the difference is what you do to move forward and not fall back into old bad habits. I know it's hard but you have to remember the reason why you want to live a healthier lifestyle. You are doing this for yourself. Just don't give up because trust me you will hate yourself even more if you give up all that hard work you put in those last 48 days. Be proud of your progress and continue to move forward. You will have set backs, we all do but continue to keep trying.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Some ideas for food:
    No time. Make double, triple, quadruple when you do have time to cook. Freeze individual servings and pop those into the microwave so you have them when you just have a minute or too.
    Sweets. Everyone is different and uses different methods. I find when I'm really craving sweets those 100 cal packs are hand for knowing number of cals I'm eating and there is a plethora of choices. Rice cakes with a tbsp of preserves.
    Agree about the boiled eggs (if you don't have cholesterol probs) are easy snackers at 80 a pop. Add some carrots to the side. Slice them and put on a piece of wheat toast for a different take.
    Make chicken breast (or whatever) is a go to food for you. Cut it into strips or cubes and add it to almost anything. (salad from a bag, mix with bbq sauce for a quick dinner, add to rice with a zesty salad dressing, etc.)
    A tortilla shell with hummus and cheese or tomatoes is a fav of mine.
    Microwaved potatoes are "da bomb". You can put anything you want on them, including leftovers, microwaved frozen broccoli & cheese, sour cream (if you can have milk).

Abs: Spend five minutes in the morning working on them. You'll be surprised what a difference it makes. I do crunches, 20 second killers, and leg lifts.

Best of luck
    leslisa
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    What I found really useful for me is to log food before I eat it - this gives the "cost" of that food to my caloric budget.

Another point, this is not a diet but a lifestyle change so you need to find a style that you can live with, otherwise the loss will be only temporarily. If you crave sweets - eat some dark chocolate, log it, make adjustments for the rest of the day to stay within your budget.

Another mistake I've made in my previous attempts to lose weight is severe under eating - eating way less than my BMR. This approach could produce some quick weight loss at first which would inevitably follow by your body slowing the metabolism down and halting any weight loss. Which, in turn, will lead to become exhausted physically and emotionally and will make you fail.

What's your daily calories budget?
  • memorizinmo
    memorizinmo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My close friend is a trainer and she told me to aim for eating 1620 calories and burning at least 250 each day with cardio. I go up and down, sometimes I eat more than that, some days I eat less. Mondays I play trivia with friends at a pizza place so I'll have 2 slices and a beer - I always go over on Mondays!
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    My close friend is a trainer and she told me to aim for eating 1620 calories and burning at least 250 each day with cardio. I go up and down, sometimes I eat more than that, some days I eat less. Mondays I play trivia with friends at a pizza place so I'll have 2 slices and a beer - I always go over on Mondays!

I was afraid you would say that you daily calorie budget is like 1200 or so - without the particulars, 1620 is more realistic than 1200.

Can you plan your Mondays? Try to save a few calories from each meal so you have enough for the pizza. Or, bring your own pizza (thin crust with veggies or something). Log it all ahead of time to know your plan.

What I found out is that by having more protein in my food, I stay full longer - maybe eat some protein bars before going to your friends?
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    For motivation keep that picture handy and look at it every day. Also keep reminding yourself about the health issues you want to overcome or reduce or prevent. That is why you are doing this, right? Set small goals so you can reward yourself often. You feel much better more often if you try to lose one pound in one week or forget the weight set a goal along the activities instead. Alternate the running with walking and set a distance goal or a time goal. Variety is key. You get the idea. If you set large goal with a long duration you can feel like you are never getting anyplace.

Food wise I used a service (blue apron). Had everything I needed measured out and delivered. I just had to cook it which I enjoyed and I did have portions left over for lunch the next day.
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have found that really drinking water helps get past the plateaus. I think our bodies are most efficient when completely hydrated (or so I've read around these boards!) good luck to you. Weight loss is so not linear, so I think what you are experiencing is really normal.