Wow I need help

2»

Replies

• Grandmaelf2008
    Grandmaelf2008 Posts: 599 Member
    I just love all the replies. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want
  • amyj514
    amyj514 Posts: 53 Member
    I've got tips for baking! You can manipulate recipes in sooo many ways it's nuts. First and easiest thing is sugar. You can reduce it by half and shouldn't notice much of a difference! Sub half unsweetened applesauce for oil. Fat free yogurt for sour cream, etc. A lot of the liquids are interchangeable, like yogurt, milk, eggs, water, applesauce, pumpkin, banana, oil etc. You want to make sure you use enough oils that your baked goods don't come out dry but sometimes you could omit it completely and be fine. Also, you could try using white whole wheat flour instead of regular white flour. I really got into quick breads about a year ago and was on a spree and went really nuts comparing recipes and ingredients and pictures online to see what looks different and what was used etc and mish-mashed recipes to make what I wanted. That way I could keep it as healthy as possible, fit it into my calorie goals, and still satiate my cravings! Do some research into the science behind baking to really understand what you can and can't swap, esp when it comes to the baking powder part...cause soggy squishy cake is gross...

I found this blog post helpful: http://bakerbettie.com/basic-quick-bread-recipe-sweet-or-savory/

If you can't tell, I'm a cake person, but this should get your gears turning in the right direction. Hope this helps!
  • Grandmaelf2008
    Grandmaelf2008 Posts: 599 Member
    Great tip :D
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    I like the recipes on www.skinnytaste.com.
    I second this! If you have foods you NEED to have these are healthy substitutes. Husband-approved and he's picky about "health foods". I just made a cheeseburger casserole and thumbs up on that. I love the meatloaf cupcakes, portion controlled and tastes amazing. I would say I've made over 20 of her recipes and they all are easy to follow.
  • Wattyz
    Wattyz Posts: 91 Member
    besee_2000 wrote: »
    I second this! If you have foods you NEED to have these are healthy substitutes. Husband-approved and he's picky about "health foods". I just made a cheeseburger casserole and thumbs up on that. I love the meatloaf cupcakes, portion controlled and tastes amazing. I would say I've made over 20 of her recipes and they all are easy to follow.

I think I know what I'm making for dinner tonight, btw. TY! :)
  • alexislucas84
    alexislucas84 Posts: 10 Member
    Plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream
    Turkey or chicken instead of beef or pork
    Protein Smoothies instead of milkshakes
    Lots of veggies and fruits, I know...
    Stay away from starches and most grains.
    Don't fry your food.
    Supplements, vitamins, and omega fatty acids all are key and aide in weight loss.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    besee_2000 wrote: »
    Thirded. I really like skinnytaste.