Options
2»

Replies

• Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Samm471 wrote: »
    I don't use TDEE all I use is this mfp tbh I log my food and my exercise and try and stick to macros tbh but I'm
    Guessing I have a lot to learn then? I think I've read that much stuff sometimes I worrybwhat to even eat. Some say they eat pasta wtc whereas some people say avoid pastas and white bread and stuff so I eat brown pasta brown bread etc .. All I basically eat is like Greek yoghurt , brown bread , peanut butter, banana fruit , veg, chicken , fish avocados all that kinda stuff and drink water I think I really restrict myself with food but try and eat often but I have noticed when I eat for example I had a banana this morning at 5am before work next thing I'm hungry at 6.30am and having a yoghurt and I don't even get breakfast till like 9am :/

paralysis by analysis...you're overthinking and over complicating things. "white" foods are just the latest and greatest of dietary demons due largely to the fact that so many people these days have metabolic issues...if you don't have metabolic issues and insulin sensitivities you really don't have to worry about the same things that people with those issues have to worry about.

Other than that, just focus on whole food nutrition...eat a ton of veg...eat some fruit...eat some whole grains and get your healthy fats and lean sourced protein...if you have some calories left over, have a cookie. Also...Haggis...I love that *kitten*...and some blood pudding.

Do not over complicate that which is really not complicated. Hit your calorie targets...use your macros as a baseline to balance out your diet, but don't get too worked up about them...ultimately they don't matter all that much unless your diet is way out of whack. Rock your nutrition and exercise regularly and win.

Thanks! Yeah I do over think and complicate things when it comes to food I always have but I know what you mean to just keep it simple. I just thought there was certain things to avoid or eat after cardio & stuff , as for the hunger I think maybe I just need to find what works better for me as in more protein or more carbs or more fibre etc and maybe just juggle it about till I find a balance that keeps me feeling full longer
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I did 4.5+ miles of walking today (gotta love your car being in the shop), and had two eggs afterwards as my breakfast, and a high protein lunch. Really doesn't matter what you choose, as long as you hit your goal. I personally love to do hard boiled eggs, chicken salad, or something with protein in it, since it makes me feel full. Generally I'm very hungry after a lot of exercise, and it makes me feel full + helps me hit my protein goal, which my muscles like.
  • Samm471
    Options
    I like boiled eggs aswell that would prob be my 1st choice for breakfast with toast or toast peanut butter and a banana .. I'm not too bad hitting protein goal but I'm not great with carbs I constantly fall short and same with fat too
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    MacMadame wrote: »
    Studies have shown two things:

-the fastest, most efficient way to cut body fat is by lifting weights, not doing cardio

-after doing a cardio workout, a proper recovery snack should be about 100-200 calories with a carb to protein ratio of somewhere between 2:1 to 4:1 based on the intensity of the workout. (more intense means more carbs to protein) The best window is 15 to 45 min. after exercise.

On top of that, most bodybuilders when in a cutting phase eat a low carb diet. The science supporting this is not as strong as those other two things, but it does seem to work, at least for me.

Based on that, I suggest doing less cardio and more strength-training in general. And then saving your carb for immediately after your workout.
    Can you link some of those studies showing a meaningful difference in results for everyday people when they do or don't eat the proper recovery snack in the proper window?
  • Samm471
    Options
    I always thought what you ate after a workout was pretty important hence why I put this post up
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    there is so much differences among individuals on how the store and burn fat/glycogen during cardio. I would suggest you model yourself after an athlete or trainer who has similiar training. Lots of athletes have Facebook pages and they talk a lot about nutrition. Very helpful. I see lots of complex carbs, fat (nuts and avocado) and whole grains. I don't see much protien powder.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I always thought what you ate after a workout was pretty important hence why I put this post up
    It isn't. It might make some marginal difference which might be useful if you're some kind of elite athlete competing against other elite athletes. In a regular guy's life, you're almost certainly not going to see anything other than placebo even if you nail the "optimal." It's not even the frosting on the cake, it's maybe the sprinkles on top of the frosting.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The deal is that 98% of the equation is getting your calories right and making sure you get the right amounts of macros and nutrients. Those will vary by person. The other stuff like meal/nutrient timing, pre/post workout, carb cycling, other supplements, all that jazz is the other one percent. Can it help? Absolutely, but it is negligible to non existent if you aren't 98% there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

it depends...it's important for me if I go do 50 miles or something to get some quick recovery in me. It's not such a big deal if I'm just doing my daily ride and lifting some weights. If I'm just working out, my overall daily nutrition is going to more than suffice for recovery, etc.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Carbs before workout (banana, oatmeal, toast with PB)
    Protein after workout (chicken, salmon, protein shake/bar)
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    eat whatever daFUQ you want post-workout

seriously.

and lift some weights
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    MacMadame wrote: »
    Studies have shown two things:

-the fastest, most efficient way to cut body fat is by lifting weights, not doing cardio

-after doing a cardio workout, a proper recovery snack should be about 100-200 calories with a carb to protein ratio of somewhere between 2:1 to 4:1 based on the intensity of the workout. (more intense means more carbs to protein) The best window is 15 to 45 min. after exercise.

On top of that, most bodybuilders when in a cutting phase eat a low carb diet. The science supporting this is not as strong as those other two things, but it does seem to work, at least for me.

Based on that, I suggest doing less cardio and more strength-training in general. And then saving your carb for immediately after your workout.

But is that true though because you burn a lot more calories doing cardio? I burn between 400-500 in HIIT cardio in an hour and I would say I don't burn anywhere near that doing strength training .. It's confusing I'm doing strength training aswell but I feel like the weight is creeping back in whereas with cardio I feel Like it's keeping it off a lot more .. I am building muscle aswell right enough

By definition a HIIT cardio workout does not last an hour.
  • Samm471
    Options
    I didn't mean I do constant HIIT I know it doesn't last an hour I mean I can run for maybe half an hour and do some HIIT in that then move to something else like rowing machine and row normal then put some HIIT into that I didn't mean constant HIIT for a solid hour I'm not a machine
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If you're just looking for recovery, science already has an idea of what to eat after cardio: whatever you want.
    "Post-exercise Glycogen Recovery and Exercise Performance is Not Significantly Different Between Fast Food and Sport Supplements."
    ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25811308
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    \
    But is that true though because you burn a lot more calories doing cardio?
    It's not just the calories burned during a workout that count. If you do strength training, you get an "after-burn" where you keep burning calories after the workout at a higher rate than if you hadn't strength trained.

Also, strength training builds muscle and muscle takes more calories to maintain. So you will burn more calories sitting down than you did before you had those muscles.

Finally, if you do a lot of cardio and not much strength training, studies show you will lose muscle along with the fat. The more strength training you do, the more you lose just fat and not muscle.
  • ACyclingAdmin
    ACyclingAdmin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    depends on the intensity and type of cardio you do, cycling is least affected by muscle tone loss and you won't need to consume much protein post work out but it depletes your glycogen stores like mad. I usually toss back a protein shake with rice milk for about 20-30gms carbs and 25ish gm protein to help with recovery but I burn about 750 calories an hour doing endurance work, so what works for me may not be in your calorie allowances.