Any foods to start clean eating

Options
Does anybody know of any simple means I should start eating I'm starting my clean eating tomorrow.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Eating clean means different things to many people....

I personally do not eat dirty food... lol
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Yer start with a protein, then picks veggies and some carbs

Repeat till you die

but really just eat what fits your daily macros and what makes you feel fueld for daily living and workouts

Ie this morning i had a slice of bacon, 2 poached eggs, slice of sourdough

and a smoothie with berries, protein powder, fiber blend and coconut milk

Just now at work i ate a chickpea and vegetable soup i made last night

For lunch i wil have stuffed capsicum with mince beef and rice cooked in a tomato sauce

For dinner after training i will have a BBQ beef steak, or Chicken or Pork and vegies with salad

Eat what you like to eat but keep the junk treats in moderation and log them you will be sweet

• Sydking
    Options
    Have you set your macros correct? do you know how to weight and log food?

Some good stickys on here just give it a few weeks you will pick it up and know what fact or myth pretty quick

Alot of rubbish gimmicks on the internet...and real life
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Anything not processed or highly processed. Focus on fruits, veggies, lean meats, eggs...no make believe stuff LOL it can be that simple. Good luck!!
  • JocelynDeshane
    JocelynDeshane Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Jeez! Looks like you're eating pretty good tonight.......you don't even wanna know what I've eaten tonight it's so bad junk crap blah! Need to start clean eating it's funny! I was suppose today.. But ended up buying crap but tomorrow pushing my butt to the store and buying a lot of vegitables, eggs, peanuts and such, some fruits and bottled waters and anything healthy I can think of!
  • Physiobody
    Physiobody Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've followed "clean" eating diet plans before and tried to cut out all foods deemed "bad" or unhealthy and it ultimately lead to excessive food cravings and developing a bad relationship with food. Personally, I would recommend focusing the majority (80%) of your diet around whole foods such as lean meats, veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds, etc. and allowing yourself some room for the foods that will keep you sane. Just my two cents but after years of doing this I've come back to this every time. It also makes eating out much less stressful. As long as you are eating according to your daily needs you will achieve your goals. Hope this helps and good luck!
  • JocelynDeshane
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

I personally do not eat dirty food... lol
    Physiobody wrote: »
    Personally, I've followed "clean" eating diet plans before and tried to cut out all foods deemed "bad" or unhealthy and it ultimately lead to excessive food cravings and developing a bad relationship with food. Personally, I would recommend focusing the majority (80%) of your diet around whole foods such as lean meats, veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds, etc. and allowing yourself some room for the foods that will keep you sane. Just my two cents but after years of doing this I've come back to this every time. It also makes eating out much less stressful. As long as you are eating according to your daily needs you will achieve your goals. Hope this helps and good luck!
    Thanks so much!
  • Sydking
    edited June 2015
    Options
    whats an example of the junk food you eat.

Remember, its hard do think like this i know but if you can have one bad meal or snack don't let it ruin your whole day or week

Just pick back up form the next meal.

I always used to say il start Monday. By Tuesday i was back to old habits then i would say OK this time 100% next Monday.

again and again and again
  • npcg
    npcg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Clean eating usually consists of eating as many fresh fruits and vegetables as possible, with a minimal intake of junk food (i.e. take away, soft drinks, heavy dairy products, heavily processed foods, e.t.c.). Hope this helps you in some way :)
  • iteese
    iteese Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Lol!!!! So true...
    @JocelynDeshane There is no definition of clean eating; there are just many interpretations of it. For some people it means low fat, low sugar, low carb. For others it means non processed foods, e.g. cooking your meals (including sauces/marinades) at home.
    I feel "clean eating" is a terrible term, it's meaningless. Ignore it, preferably don't even use it.
    Physiobody wrote: »
    I would recommend focusing the majority (80%) of your diet around whole foods such as lean meats, veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds, etc. and allowing yourself some room for the foods that will keep you sane.
    Perfect.
    @JocelynDeshane Allowing yourself to enjoy food is important, but you will also find that if you are currently eating a lot of sugary, salted or fatty foods, that you may initially find the healthier options bland tasting. Your taste buds will come around though e.g. you will start to notice the natural sweetness in steamed vegetables.
    buying a lot of vegitables, eggs, peanuts and such, some fruits and bottled waters and anything healthy I can think of!
    Great choices with the vegetables, fruit, eggs and nuts. Preferably buy raw or dry roasted nuts. Many nuts are roasted in low quality (low nutrient value) oils.
    Don't bother with bottled water - unless your tap water tastes foul. Tap water is soooooo much cheaper (almost free) and just as healthy as bottled water. Many bottled 'waters' also contain flavours or sugars.
    Sydking wrote: »
    if you can have one bad meal or snack don't let it ruin your whole day or week
    Just pick back up form the next meal.
    I find that is exactly what happens with most people. So many people give up on their planned diet once they've made a 'bad choice' until some random moment in the future (e.g next week or on the weekend or tomorrow).
    So if you eat a piece of cake (or something else 'bad'), that's okay. Just don't give up on your diet plan and binge out though. Instead, tell yourself that you the piece of cake (or whatever it was) you ate was enough to satisfy your cravings and that by making sure your next meal falls into your planned diet, then that's okay.
    Some random examples:
    - just because you make a spelling mistake, doesn't mean you give up trying to spell the rest of the sentence correctly and let all your grammar go.
    - just because you went though a red light by accident, doesn't mean you then decide to run them all and start speeding everywhere.
    We all make mistakes sometimes, but the trick is to make them less and less often, and correct your path as soon as you've deviated from it. It's the same with changing your diet.

I strongly believe in Michael Pollan's famous line, "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."
    It means:
    1. Eat real food, not processed stuff you find in the middle aisles of supermarkets. Vegetables, fruit, nuts, meats, poultry, seafood, dairy.
    2. Don't over eat. We all tend to put far too much on our plates and we've grown accustomed to massive portion sizes. This leads to a whole host of problems. It takes time to adjust to smaller meals though, so don't do it all at once.
    3. Fruit and vegetables are highly nutritious foods. Many are ready to eat and require no packaging, most require very little preparation. And it's difficult to overeat plants, if you fill a very large plate with a huge salad (mixed lettuces, tomatoes, capsicum, celery, avocado, cucumber, sprouts, mushrooms, etc) you'll find it difficult to eat it all and you'll also find it very low calorie.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Just take any food and wash it before you eat it, like a raccoon. Voila! Clean eating!

Here is an instructional gif to get you started:

jqWAZ4D.gif

Here's to a healthier you!
  • JocelynDeshane
    Options
    @Alyssa_Is_LosingIt haha you made my day!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    This just shows that "clean eating" means nothing. This idea that one has to eat special foods is odd.

Why not just eat regular foods? Focus on cooking from whole foods and choosing nutrient dense foods and constructing balanced meals if you like. That's what I tend to do. As someone else said, it's easy to construct meals by thinking of them as including a protein source, veggies, and then filling it out with dairy (for more protein) or starches (to increase fiber/energy and for taste), and fruit, as you like.

IMO, if you have a generally sensible overall plan like this, there's no need to fret about what is and isn't "clean" or to try to follow some pre-set plan. I eat really varied meals with lots of vegetables, mostly according to this general idea. I think it makes more sense to focus on what you consider nutritious and putting things together in a balanced way than whatever "clean" is supposed to mean.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

The terms IIFYM and CICO aren't offensive on here, because it conveniently transforms all food into being permissable to eat, with words like "context" and "dosage" acting like rugs that you can sweep any edible food-like substance under.

Seems to me like you're swinging the pendulum a bit far in the other direction with the above statement.

Haha..... I see why you would say that. Especially seeing who you are sharing a fist pump with in your profile pic.

And now you know why I said what I said - because I wouldn't want to be caught in a picture sharing a fist pump with him.

Actually the only information I know right now is that you take an extreme stance against CICO and dosage and context because you don't like Alan Aragon.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is a bit of a broad term. For instance, my breakfast today was a whole wheat English muffin, peanut butter, Greek yogurt, and a banana. To one person, that may be clean. To another, because of the added sugars in my peanut butter and yogurt, it probably isn't. And a third may consider only the banana to be clean because it's the only natural food.

Eat the foods that satisfy and nourish you, but don't cut out treats.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    37635-What-is-this-*kitten*-4c1r.gif

It's only page 1 and I've already had to come in and clean-up. I know she set off the bat signal by writing the words "clean eating," but please contribute constructively to the topic (that would be her OP, not whatever else people feel like arguing about with clean eating), or move on without posting.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

The terms IIFYM and CICO aren't offensive on here, because it conveniently transforms all food into being permissable to eat, with words like "context" and "dosage" acting like rugs that you can sweep any edible food-like substance under.

Seems to me like you're swinging the pendulum a bit far in the other direction with the above statement.

Haha..... I see why you would say that. Especially seeing who you are sharing a fist pump with in your profile pic.

And now you know why I said what I said - because I wouldn't want to be caught in a picture sharing a fist pump with him.

Actually the only information I know right now is that you take an extreme stance against CICO and dosage and context because you don't like Alan Aragon.

Hey, I never said I don't like him. I've never interacted with him. He could be a good guy for all I know. I just don't agree with what he writes.

I actually do not take an extreme stance against CICO. Just how it is used.

Have you read his actual research review and are you at all familiar with his material?