The Best and Worst foods for Diabetics

Options
koizumi6
koizumi6 Posts: 274 Member
I found this on the Diabetic Living website- it's a good reference for those who are diabetic:

20 best foods:

1. Asparagus
2. Blueberries
3. Red Grapefruit
4. Beans
5. Broccoli
6. Carrots
7. Fish
8. Flaxseed
9. Cranberries
10. Apples
11. Melon
12. Nuts
13. Oatmeal
14.Red Onion
15. Raspberries
16. Spinach
17. Soy
18. Tea
19. Tomatoes
20. Yogurt

15 WORST foods for Diabetics:
1. French fries
2. Cheeseburgers and Fried sandwiches
3. Fried chicken
4. Purchased cookies
5. Purchased donuts and baked goods
6. Cakes and Pies
7. Frozen meals
8. processed lunch meat
9. Soft drinks
10. flavored waters
11. purchased smoothies
12. purchased fruit beverages
13. Milkshakes
14. Frozen pizza
15. Restaurant pizza

Replies

• Soozcat
    Soozcat Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Good stuff and good general advice. The final arbiter, of course, is your own glucose monitor -- test, test, test. Certain foods that work very well for some diabetics are horrible for others (all the grains I've tried, including oatmeal, raise my sugars too high; on the other hand, small portions of very dark chocolate don't significantly raise my sugars at all).
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    I do purchased cookies once every two weeks I think. But I do the Murray's sugar free. I can afford the fat grams since I eat pretty low fat at times. And I do Lean Cuisine meals over the weekends at work. They get me through those long 8.5 days on my feet! Other than that I totally agree.

I do alot of the good stuff. Especially berries and oatmeal and apples. Just be careful on the grapefruit. Alot of Diabetics take mediation for cholesterol. And grapefruit can cause adverse reactions with certain medications.

I agree. Certain grains spike me and some do ok. Also depends on if I exercise usually within the hour. I tend to do better with carbs if I do that.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Although not a diabetic, I have modified a recipe for a muesli bar, but using oats, fresh juice and dried fruit, a little margarine and no sugar! Tastes a little bland to start with but, as with not adding salt to food, you get used to it as the norm
  • LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info