Low Carb Success?

Options
2»

Replies

• tina4kids
    tina4kids Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have to be on a low carb plan because I'm a diabetic. I count both carbs and calories. Since December 16, 2014 I've lost at least 48 pounds. I only weigh once a month when I see my Diabetic Educator. I started off at a high weight (418 lbs.) , so I don't know when I'll hit a plateau. Good luck with your journey!!

You're doing great! That's alot of weight in a short time. Thank you for the encouragement and good luck on your journey also!
  • tina4kids
    tina4kids Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    tina4kids wrote: »
    I stay under 20g of carbs a day and it is so easy.

SW July 21, 2014: 267
    CW: 148
    GW: 120s

I'm 5'3

Wow! You have lost a lot of weight in less than a year! I bet you feel great! What kind of foods do you eat to stay under 20 carbs? Do you also exercise? I haven't started exercise yet.

Yes! It feels wonderful. I can't wait to get the last 20 pounds or so off, which I'm expecting to go much slower.

You'd be surprised at how much there is to eat. To get Net carbs you can subtract the fiber and sugar alcohol from the total carbs. I didn't start out counting net carbs and stuck to total, but the last few months I will count net carbs every once in a while.

Personally, I don't watch my calories at all, some people do. I have days where I'm not hungry and I eat barely anything and I have days where all I do is eat all day.

I don't eat many fruits, but once in awhile I'll eat a couple strawberries or blue berries.

Veggies, I pretty much eat green stuff such as salad, broccoli, green beans, zucchini, cauliflower, green pepper, little onion.

I eat all meats

Eggs, cheese and meats are big with low carbers

I use a ton of butter, spices and cheese, ranch dressing, sour cream and mayo

I drink mostly chrystal light or water, I'll drink diet pop on rare occassion, but only because I'm not a huge fan of diet pop. It doesn't seem to hurt my weight loss.

My favorite snack lately is guacamole and pork rinds (I hate pork rinds but dipped in guac is wonderful) If I'm desperate I'll eat a couple squirts of chocolate whip cream. If I am really really desperate I'll eat sugar free candy, but I limit that because it upsets my stomach if I eat too much. Once or twice a week lately I have eaten carb smart ice cream with Walden Farm's pancake syrup (sounds gross, but it is amazing) I used to look up recipes for fat bombs and make them, but I haven't needed to lately.

There are a ton of recipes on the "I love low carb" page on facebook. Atkins.com also has a lot of information and a list of what you can eat. There is also a group of low carbers on this site that has a ton of info too.

Thank you for sharing! I hope I can stick with this low carb lifestyle and lose all my excess weight! I love reading about other's weight lose success... it's so encouraging!
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You'll do great! The first two weeks are the hardest, then it gets super easy.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    1yn6dck3ctla.jpg

YES LOW CARBS WORKS FOR ME.
    I started my weight loss 5 months ago and I have lost a total of 3 stone 1 pound.
    I have never gained weight in the whole of the 5 months only lost weight. Usually i struggle to lose weight as well cause I put on weight so easily.
    I eat lots of protein and veg etc very minor carbs.
    I still have another stone and a half to burn to get the flat stomach I have always wanted but I am so determined I know I can do it.
    Good Luck x

Wonderful work!
  • LaurenRosePR
    LaurenRosePR Posts: 84 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I do carb-cycling and it works quite well! I got my mom to try it and she lost 5 lbs her first week. Cycling high carbs and low carbs (and also high calories, low calories) gets that metabolism working for you!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Over the past 8 months eating under 50 grams of carbs daily I have lost another 25 pounds but that is not the best part. I have lost pain levels from 7-8 down to 2-3 on a 1-10 scale. I have lost IBS after having it as part of my daily life for 40 years. I have lost the afternoon sugar crashes. I have lost my carb cravings. I have lost mental fog. I have lost falling all of the time.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Over the past 8 months eating under 50 grams of carbs daily I have lost another 25 pounds but that is not the best part. I have lost pain levels from 7-8 down to 2-3 on a 1-10 scale. I have lost IBS after having it as part of my daily life for 40 years. I have lost the afternoon sugar crashes. I have lost my carb cravings. I have lost mental fog. I have lost falling all of the time.

That's tremendous. Pleased for you :)
  • elle_321
    elle_321 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I want to give this a go but have struggled to even get started! I never realized how many carbs I ate until I tried to cut down!
  • mich19025
    mich19025 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Working for me. I've seen me calorie counting just like i am doing now and not seen the scale budge. Used to spend ages meal prepping and weighing my chicken, brown rice and broccoli! Also was at the gym exercising and just never even saw any changes in inches or body fat either. I only have 10 pounds to my goal so its no major biggy but so far have lost 6 pounds in the 5 weeks I started which is a healthy amount and my inches and body fat are dropping. I've also had a few blips here and there and went over my calorie allowance but it hasn't seemed to hinder my progress. The key is to get back on it and keep as consistent as you can. As a side not I have tried this before and failed miserably but it is true that if you can get over the first week or so it is actually pretty enjoyable. I don't miss things like bread, rice or pasta. My only vice is sugar from chocolate and cakes. I started making stuff with unsweetened cocoa powder and chocolate whey protein. I enjoy a 2 egg omelette with bacon and half a slice of cheese and spinach for brekkie. Ive been making mug cakes with the whey protein and topping with peanut butter and whipped cream for that mid morning craving. Yum. Snacking on nuts and seeds as well. Having chicken and salad with avocado at lunch. Dinner can be burgers topped with bacon and cheese. You can obviously add and swap veg where you want it to fit. As long as it fits my calorie allowance and macros then i'll eat it :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I eat loads of veggies like spinach and broccoli, almonds, chicken, tofu, deli meats, ground beef. Go on pinterest if you're on there and look up "low carb recipes". So many to choose from!

^^^ This. Low carb doesn't have to be just meat and cheese.
    Green vegetables are a staple. In fact, plans like Atkins essentially REQUIRE what they call "foundation vegetables".

Artichoke, asparagus, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, beet greens, bell peppers, bok choy, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cardoon, cauliflower, celery, celery root, chard, collard greens, cucumber, dandelion greens, eggplant, escarole, fennel, hearts of palm, jicama, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, mushrooms, mustard greens, nopales, okra, onion, bell peppers, pumpkin, radishes, rhubarb, sauerkraut, scallions, shallots, sorrel, snow peas, snap peas in pod, spinach, spaghetti squash, string beans, tomato, tomatillo, white turnips, water chestnuts, zucchini and other summer squash.
  • Amanda_145
    Amanda_145 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    ekzd1yftbuxs.jpg
    I've lost 47lbs since January eating 20 carbs or less a day! I've fallen off the wagon a couple times but I got right back on!!
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the person. I tried to low carb for years, but I was never fully satisfied with what I was eating, and I was continually failing at it. I find that a more balanced diet -- meat, veggies, and grains -- works better for me. But, there are those for whom low carbing DOES work, and it's kind of hard to pass judgement on their success. I have friends who have lost weight low carbing and kept it off. I just love grains too much to be successful at it.
  • erojoy
    erojoy Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Damn! You look great!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,955 Member
    Options
    I've been low-carb (keto) for over a year now. Lost 91lbs. 20g net carbs for most of it. Recently I've upped it to 40g net.

I eat eggs, meat, animal fats, low-carb dairy, nuts, green non-starchy veggies, avocados, a little bit of tomatoes, and occasionally berries.
  • tinacristina
    tinacristina Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bacon slave and Amanda. Great job on your success with low carb. Youguys look great! Did youguys watch your calorie intake too? I was curious as I see the LCHF options and the the LCLF too. Which did you follow? Thanks for your time.
  • jee_nee_us
    jee_nee_us Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    What was your calorie deficit like?

I think low carb and high protein helps you retain muscle and even build it and the more the muscle the better the metabolism.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    1yn6dck3ctla.jpg

YES LOW CARBS WORKS FOR ME.
    I started my weight loss 5 months ago and I have lost a total of 3 stone 1 pound.
    I have never gained weight in the whole of the 5 months only lost weight. Usually i struggle to lose weight as well cause I put on weight so easily.
    I eat lots of protein and veg etc very minor carbs.
    I still have another stone and a half to burn to get the flat stomach I have always wanted but I am so determined I know I can do it.
    Good Luck x

Kelly you look great. WOW! I have a similar build to you and nothing I have done in the gym and following a diet has help rid me of my waist. You did it kudos to you.

Patsy
    Lutz Fl
  • jnoegrah
    jnoegrah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Low carb worked for me, but i started to notice i was cranky. It may have been coincidence though
  • sid80
    sid80 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have also done the low carb diet when i had my baby in 2013, within 8 months i lost 78lbs...however, this year in April 2015 i had another baby...and for some reason i am not able to follow the low carb plan as i did last time as it reduces my milk supply.. so I've resorted to eating healthy with some carbs here and there and counting my calories.

SW: 30th April 2015, 225lb
    CW: 201lb
    GW: 150lbs (for now)
    Height: 5'7

Don't know if anyone else out there is in the same boat as me..is it ok to do the low carb diet while breastfeeding?

Typical day of eating for me would be:

Breakfast: 4 egg whites with turkey strips or 3 egg whites with half a cup of oats

Lunch: greek yogury with berries and homemade sugar free, gluten free, and fat free granola OR tea and nutrigrain :sweat:

Dinner: sweet baked potatoe, baked veggies and chicken mince or breast, OR baked fish with aubergines, peppers and garden salad (dinner depends on how intense my exercise was that day)
  • mphill04
    mphill04 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    sid80 wrote: »
    I have also done the low carb diet when i had my baby in 2013, within 8 months i lost 78lbs...however, this year in April 2015 i had another baby...and for some reason i am not able to follow the low carb plan as i did last time as it reduces my milk supply.. so I've resorted to eating healthy with some carbs here and there and counting my calories.

SW: 30th April 2015, 225lb
    CW: 201lb
    GW: 150lbs (for now)
    Height: 5'7

Don't know if anyone else out there is in the same boat as me..is it ok to do the low carb diet while breastfeeding?

Typical day of eating for me would be:

Breakfast: 4 egg whites with turkey strips or 3 egg whites with half a cup of oats

Lunch: greek yogury with berries and homemade sugar free, gluten free, and fat free granola OR tea and nutrigrain :sweat:

Dinner: sweet baked potatoe, baked veggies and chicken mince or breast, OR baked fish with aubergines, peppers and garden salad (dinner depends on how intense my exercise was that day)

Well what you're doing will work, breastfeeding is like having a treadmill on your chest! So a lot of times body builders who do low carb don't do it at 20 grams when they are working out a lot- they have 50-100 because they burn so many calories that the carbs aren't surplus.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!