unpasteurized honey vs pasteurized

Options
becca_maee
becca_maee Posts: 144 Member
I accidentally got the unpasteurized type today...is it safe? Do you have to warm it or anything. Lol I'm paranoid when It comes to food.

Replies

• becca_maee
    Options
    And online I just see we're it has pollen and stuff in it an could have stuff that causes botulism but usually not in adults so??
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    It actually has nutrients in it.
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    There is pasteurised honey? Does that not kill the honey? All I know you should never give honey to infants under a year, and I've recently learnt that having a teaspoon of locally produced honey in winter, will help aleviate the symptoms of hay fever the next spring, as those bees make it from the pollen you are so sensitive from. I am going to do that next fall and winter. If it does not help, it will not hurt either. Honey actually has medicinal qualities, ancient folks used it a lot against a number of things. (we visited a bee exposition a while ago)
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    the honey I get always comes in a little plastic bear

best case scenario, you eat it and it tastes good. worst case, you get botulism, I guess. wouldn't sweat it tbh
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My brother farms with bees and according to him pasteurization kills off everything that is good in honey. You may as well have sugar syrup instead.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    honey only has trace amounts of protein, vitamins, and minerals.

it is sugar syrup, regardless of processing. someone who sells honey would tell you otherwise.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    honey only has trace amounts of protein, vitamins, and minerals.

it is sugar syrup, regardless of processing. someone who sells honey would tell you otherwise.

Not entirely true. Honey contains a propolis and a host of microorganism that are destroyed by pasteurization.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If there is botulinum toxin in the honey, you'll know because pressurization from the bacteria growing will occur in the jar (old tinned food with botulinum toxin in it would swell and distort, which is how people knew not to eat it back in the day).

Other than that, did you know that honey is one of the few foods that never spoils? Unpasteurised in my opinion is fine.

best case scenario, you eat it and it tastes good. worst case, you get botulism, I guess. wouldn't sweat it tbh

If you get botulism poisoning, there's a very high chance it can kill you. There's a reason why botox injections make your face swell and inhibits nervous control.
  • becca_maee
    Options
    If there is botulinum toxin in the honey, you'll know because pressurization from the bacteria growing will occur in the jar (old tinned food with botulinum toxin in it would swell and distort, which is how people knew not to eat it back in the day).

Other than that, did you know that honey is one of the few foods that never spoils? Unpasteurised in my opinion is fine.

If you get botulism poisoning, there's a very high chance it can kill you. There's a reason why botox injections make your face swell and inhibits nervous control.

So if it had it the bottle would be swole? I mean it's not a common thing for it to have it in there though right?
  • becca_maee
    Options
    Oh Nevermind just re read where you already answered my question before I even asked lol