My scale is being a jerk and inaccurate!!!

How else can I tell if i'm loosing weight? Do I just start measuring every month to see if I lost inches or ?

Replies

• rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Yes, you can start measuring. You can also tell it if your clothes are loose.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Do you mean that your scale is broken, or that it is showing daily fluctuations? If it's the former, you might need new batteries or a new scale. If the latter, just keep weighing and recording: fluctuations up and down are normal and usually caused by water retention.
  • HealthDetermined
    HealthDetermined Posts: 13 Member
    Yes. You start measuring to see if you have lost inches, it's way more accurate than the scale. Plus, you can actually lose fat without going down on the scale, and you can go down on the scale without losing fat; only muscle and water. So measuring is the way to go, yes.
  • L0vAnj
    L0vAnj Posts: 45 Member
    I'm sure its broken I put new batteries and it showed me 3 different lbs lol Well looks like I need a new scale should I stick with digital or go with a normal scale. I will defienlty keep measuring hopefully I can see a differece maybe I'll take photos to :blush:
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited June 2015
    L0vAnj wrote: »
    I'm sure its broken I put new batteries and it showed me 3 different lbs lol Well looks like I need a new scale should I stick with digital or go with a normal scale. I will defienlty keep measuring hopefully I can see a differece maybe I'll take photos to :blush:

As in, you weighed 3 times and got 3 different readings? How different were the readings?

And I would class digital as normal haha
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member

I prefer digital scale.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    edited June 2015
    Numbers can change depending on where you stand on the scale, sometimes by fairly large amounts, so I wouldn't read too much into that. Some scales will show little indicators to show when you aren't standing centrally
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Just a thought, have you checked that the floor under the scale is even? Scales aren't very useful on carpet, and I can't get a good reading with my digital scale on my bathroom tiles either because the tiles are a bit uneven.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    I can always tell a 20-something by the title of their post.
    How else can I tell if i'm loosing weight? Do I just start measuring every month to see if I lost inches or ?

Yes, that's another way if you don't believe your scales. But the best way is by carefully logging your calories (including alcohol) and reducing them to the level that MFP recommends. If you increase your calorie burn (aka exercise) and reduce your calorie intake (aka eating and drinking), you will lose weight. Hope this helps.