Too Much Exercise Ages You

Options
13»

Replies

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    ...according to my husband.

I do approx 30 minutes of cardio on a Mon/Weds/Fri, approx 30 minutes of strength training Tues/Thurs. Sat/Sun is generally a rest day unless one of the kids wants me to run, cycle or swim with them.

So am I doing too much so as to inflict premature aging upon myself?

I do more than this in a day and only take one day off during the week, which isn't really a full day off because I still walk or jog 5 miles. If doing a lot of exercise ages a person, I must be close to 100 years old already, lol. That said, I don't believe that exercise ages a person. If you are fit and healthy, there is no reason to worry about it. Keep doing what you're doing.
  • Nerdycurls
    Nerdycurls Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Husband is feeling insecure. People don't like change.

BTDT.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Your husband better start telling all the professional and amateur athletes out there to cut back because they are racking up your week every one or two days.
    Remind him that "Sitting is the New Smoking", and that if there's cutting back to be done, that's where one should look.

Ya, I have a desk job and make a point of frequently interacting with gravity.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/21/health/sitting-will-kill-you/

...Physical inactivity has been identified as the fourth-leading risk factor for death for people all around the world, according to the World Health Organization.

Prolonged sitting, meaning sitting for eight to 12 hours or more a day, increased your risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 90%.

So what can you do to reduce the time you spend engaged in an activity that is not good for you?

The study authors did make some simple suggestions to help you sit less. One is to just be aware of how much you are sitting. That way you can make a goal of reducing that number a little bit each week.

If you are at work, you could try a standing desk or make it a goal to stand up or walk around for a minute or three once every half an hour.

If you watch TV at night, don't zoom ahead during the commercials with your DVR. Instead walk around or at least stand up during the show break.

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I have read that running a lot ages your face, makes sense, it breaks down the collagen faster. Also wears down your knees, etc.. BUT the upside is you are adding years to your life. More strength training, less cardio is what I will continue to do as I get older.
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I used to wait tables at a bustling urban joint and when the marathon runners would be in town, I was surprised to see how wizened, weather beaten and drawn their faces and necks looked, even though they were definitely not that old. They were a very calm and serene bunch though. Nothing ruffled them :smile:. I remember them fondly. They were quite easy to wait on.

OP's pic looks really good. She doesn't fall into this niche, I don't think.

Er, Jeez...thanks, I guess, kinda.