Any foods to start clean eating

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    But I find it interesting that those who eat junk generally seem to be the ones who are offended (the ones who don't eat junk never seem to get offended by the term clean eating).... it's like they know they are doing something they shouldn't and get worked up when you point it out with that term.

Yeah, no, that's not true at all.

Most of the people involved in these "clean eating" arguments have pretty similar ideas about what's a good way to eat and I see no evidence that the pro "clean eating" side actually eat better diets than those who think it's a stupid term. Indeed, seems to me that more likely the "clean eaters" are those who have had major problems with over consuming fast food or sweets in the past and are new to home cooking (so see it as exotic or special) and tended to rely on packaged goods. They are the ones who oh so seriously warn against the dangers of packaged mashed potatoes should be avoided, when I never knew anyone ate boxed mashed potatoes (although my object is taste).

I dislike the term "clean eating" for lots of reasons, but not because I don't think eating a nutritious diet is important.

Now, I also don't consider homemade apple pie or good ice cream or high quality chocolate to be "junk," so we might be in disagreement there, but the bigger issue is that I think the way one eats a good diet is to focus on the positive foods one includes and putting together a plan that emphasizes nutrient-dense foods and balanced meals and not merely in labeling various foods and bad and cutting them out. I've seen lots of people do that (with silly things like pasta and even fruit) and yet still not get enough protein or include many veggies. If one actually eats a good diet there is simply going to be limited room for high calorie extras, so there's no worry that they are the backbone of one's diet (as in the usual strawman about people eating only donuts--which I think is a weird thing to imagine anyone would do that says more about the person suggesting it will happen).
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Does anybody know of any simple means I should start eating I'm starting my clean eating tomorrow.

So that I'm not strictly debating someone else in your post here is what I would suggest:

You should primarily focus on whole foods when possible. Generally speaking, whole foods are going to blunt hunger to a much greater extent than hyper-palatable heavily refined foods and focusing on these will tend to increase fullness and cause you to naturally eat less. Moderate-high protein intake will assist this as well.

Your overall progress will primarily come down to calories in vs out but if your diet is predicated on minimally refined food sources you'll have a much greater level of satiety and you'll likely consume fewer calories going this route.

Can you still incorporate some junk food into your diet? You can. You don't have to, it's ultimately up to you how strict you choose to be. In my opinion having some flexibility improves adherence for the majority of people and if you go that route I'd keep it to 10 to 20% of total energy intake.
  • HeLetsMeBox
    HeLetsMeBox Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Instead of dividing my meals into breakfast lunch dinner, I divide my daily nutrition into "good stuff, not so good stuff and junk". The goal is to get more of my daily food consistently into the "good stuff" category -- fresh lean meats, fresh (or flash frozen) fruits and veggies, unprocessed foods. It's okay to have some "not so good stuff" such as a little creamer, splenda, real butter or processed foods and I try to have very little "junk" - candy, sugar, soda, etc. Dividing it like this makes me think about each item I eat and where it fits. Plus when I look at my weekly nutrition charts, it's easy to see if I am eating well or not.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Does anybody know of any simple means I should start eating I'm starting my clean eating tomorrow.

Start preparing meals with whole fresh food: fruits, veggies, lean meats, whole grains, etc. Season with individual herbs and spices and make your own sauces and marinades instead of bottled or packaged mixes (especially if you want to reduce sodium). Buy the highest quality breads, etc. that you can afford unless you have time to make your own. Enjoy the occasional treat that fits into your calorie and macro targets. Most of all, don't freak out over whether something is "processed" or not and forget the label "clean eating", it is meaningless.

• Skyewall
    Skyewall Posts: 5 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Never read up on clean eating. Just started yesterday with full commitment to eating and exercise regime. Personally, I'm trying this approach: If it grows naturally it's okay. Fruit (okay in cups if no sugar added), Veggies (fresh or frozen), even fresh meats (butcher cleaned and raw not processed with additives), and roasted nuts...but avoiding refined flours, sugars and such. Natural complex carbs okay...simple natural carbs like boiled potatoes is out.

My weakness is salty/crunchy/savory so expect the next two weeks to be a bear to get through. At least I can keep the savory by flavoring my foods with herbs and seasonings. Hoping to keep the crankiness to a minimum :wink:
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Any food that hasn't been dropped on the floor should be good to go for getting started with clean eating. Once you've been doing it a while, you can start to apply the 5 second rule (Less than 5 seconds on the floor, good to go, still clean). Long-term adherents can employ the "Wipe or blow it off" method if the 5 second rule is exceeded.
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    What I think of clean eating is to eat 80% healthy nutritious natural home cooked food and 20% whatever you like. This actually helped me control my cravings and overeating. I think there is no one way. You do trial and error till you find what works for you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What I think of clean eating is to eat 80% healthy nutritious natural home cooked food and 20% whatever you like.

IMO, that's not "clean eating," but the definition of moderation, which gets back to my point about how this discussion is so confusing and seems to be more so by the weird attachment to the "clean eating" term.

Based on what most proponents around here say, I think of "clean eating" as being eliminationist, but never in agreement on what must be eliminated. Since IMO healthy eating is not about eliminating things, but what you do eat, I disagree with the approach. Of course, focusing on getting the balance of your diet from a good mix of nutritious foods that meet your goals (i.e., moderation or the flexible approach) does, of course, result in your diet being mostly that sort of food. I also tend to be picky about the less nutrient-dense/high calorie foods I eat, since why waste calories on something not really worth it.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    What I think of clean eating is to eat 80% healthy nutritious natural home cooked food and 20% whatever you like.

IMO, that's not "clean eating," but the definition of moderation, which gets back to my point about how this discussion is so confusing and seems to be more so by the weird attachment to the "clean eating" term.

Based on what most proponents around here say, I think of "clean eating" as being eliminationist, but never in agreement on what must be eliminated. Since IMO healthy eating is not about eliminating things, but what you do eat, I disagree with the approach. Of course, focusing on getting the balance of your diet from a good mix of nutritious foods that meet your goals (i.e., moderation or the flexible approach) does, of course, result in your diet being mostly that sort of food. I also tend to be picky about the less nutrient-dense/high calorie foods I eat, since why waste calories on something not really worth it.

This x100