low cal ice cream recipes

Options
nicolen160
nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
I have a new ice cream maker and would love any low calorie recipes that anyone has. Thanks

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    My advice is to just make delicious ice cream and eat it in servings that fit into your calories. When you try to make ice cream low calorie, it usually doesn't taste satisfying. And most "low calorie" recipes of all kinds have to replace the fat with sugar, which also doesn't serve any purpose.
  • wendytier
    wendytier Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Throw strawberries in a blender with a good amount of sweetener (erythrol or splenda) - mix it and put it in your ice cream maker (try - it should be too sweet before frozen).

Mix no fat greek yoghurt with sweetener (I use erythrol with real vanilla) and put it in your ice cream maker

A also had nice results with ready made smoothies from the supermarket - add a little bit of sweetener and direct to the ice cream maker.

You can also try all flavours of yoghurt (low fat, low sugar) from the shelf.

Keep in mind: If you want to make ice cream - your mix has to be "supersweet" - when frozen it will taste perfect.

(same effect like cooling down sweet wine - if really cold it is drinkable).

One thing to remind: every kind of sweetener has it´s own effect to icecream - so if you use splenda, the texture of your icecream will be different than using real sugar. (it is better with erythrol).

In a professional "ice cream kitchen" they use many different types of sugar to get the perfect texture. It is like working in a chemistry laboratorium.....

• Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I love sorbet. I started by adding sweetner to the fruit puree, but now I just blend whatever fruit I want and toss it in the machine!
  • nicolen160
    nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    thanks for the ideas everyone!
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    The low fat stuff doesn't satisfy me and I feel like I need more and more. I make full fat ice cream and enjoy it slowly :p
  • lmarcon788
    lmarcon788 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    the best best best icecream you could have is 'nice cream'. Freeze around 2 bananas and chuck em in a high speed blender or food processor with a bit of water (or milk). Depending on the amount of liquid you can either get a soft serve consistency or something more like an icecream, top with anything and everything you like and its seriously so delicious! For a massive bowl made from 2 bananas its only 200 cals!
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I scecond "nice cream". I'm not a vegan but I can't stop making them. Don't need that ice cream maker, just a blender/good processor, but throw some fruit in it and freeze it!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

In for mushed bananas. ^^
  • Jag7694
    Jag7694 Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    This is my citrus sorbet recipe! Great finish for a heavy meal.

10- medium oranges
    2 1/2 cups-water
    1 cup-sugar
    1/3 cup-fresh lemon juice (about 2)
    Zest from one orange

1. Cut peeled oranges in half and use a citrus reamer to get the juice until you get 2 2/3 cups. (If you want a little sweeter do 2 cups orange and 2/3 cup pineapple juice)
    2. Combine 2 1/2 cups of water and the sugar in a heavy bottomed sauce pan and bring to boil. Add orange zest, reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes. Strain mixture into a bowl to remove solids. Cool liquid completely.
    3. Add orange and lemon juice to the mixture and put in ice cream maker until frozen.
    4. Serve!!
  • anrebma
    anrebma Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    THE FROZEN BANANA RECIPE!!!
  • anrebma
    anrebma Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you cut the bananas into coins before freezing them, and throw them in the blender that way, then you don't need anything mixed with it. It seriously turns into soft serve deliciousness. its amazing...
  • hvjc
    hvjc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Add a tiny bit of protein powder and a teaspoon of unsweenened cocoa to your frozen bananas....mmmm
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    My advice is to just make delicious ice cream and eat it in servings that fit into your calories. When you try to make ice cream low calorie, it usually doesn't taste satisfying. And most "low calorie" recipes of all kinds have to replace the fat with sugar, which also doesn't serve any purpose.

+1.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    In general, shorbets and granitas have less calories, and same goes for most fruit based ice creams. So google for such recipes, they will nto require modifications.
    Also, custard based ice creams have less calories (and more protein) than ones based on heavy cream (and I personally think they taste better do, as they are more creamy).
    If you do not plan to store the ice cream for days but will consume it within the next hours after it is made, then you can use low fat milk in most recipes. Fat will help the ice cream stay softer for long, but if you are going to consume it immediately (which is what usually happens in my family since we are 5), then there is really no difference in texture if you use low fat milk or yoghurt.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

In for mushed bananas. ^^

+1 ;)
  • freewolf49
    freewolf49 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I substitute fat free half and half for cream in regular ice cream recipe. I did not like texture when I used Splenda in place of sugar.