Giving up caffeine help!!!

Options
Hey so I normally have porridge for breakfast, which more often than not fills me up so I don't want lunch.... I'm trying to find something to eat at lunchtime that isn't heavy but full of nutrients to keep me going. What fruits/veg are best ect... I usually have coffee which is contributing to my bad skin

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Have you had this confirmed by a doctor? Or are you self-diagnosing? I've drank coffee for years, and my skin has improved as I've aged from a pimply teen to literally no acne as an adult, while drinking coffee daily.

Anyhow, what keeps YOU full will differ from person, to person. I for example feel like a blimp and am full for HOURS after one tbsp of peanut butter. One person might feel full after a little bit of protein. Try a salad with some chicken and broccoli, tomatoes, avocados, etc. tossed in.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I agree. A TBS of peanut butter goes a long ways.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    avocado helps me feel full at breakfast (usually spread on an english muffin with an egg) but I have more recently started adding it to my sandwiches as well. Turkey on whole wheat with lots of lettuce and a spread of avocado (about 30g or 1/2 avocado). You can make half a sandwich if you don't want a whole. I find water veggies (peppers, cucumber)don't stave off hunger as long, but heartier veggies like broccoli , cauliflower or snap peas last longer. I think ideally pairing a fruit or veggie with some protein and healthy fats is the way to go. So a small salad with veggies of choice topped with a few chick peas and some nuts or a fruit salad with cottage cheese. If you just want to crunch then baby carrots are good since they take effort to eat and offer a satisfying crunch. Frozen grapes are another option since they take longer to eat(and are yummy and refreshing).
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Is it the sugar in your coffee that's causing the skin issues or the coffee itself? Switch to tea.
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I honestly have no idea what your question is...do you want to skip lunch (which is not something I personally would encourage)? Do you want help quitting caffeine (which seems unnecessary since you are self-diagnosing it as the cause of "bad skin")? Are you looking for lunch ideas?
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Something to eat at lunch would be lunch. If you haven't eaten since breakfast, you need to refuel. A salad with grilled chicken breast would do.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Is there a question here?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Bah, you don't have to drop the caffeine. I've never seen any proof that that's what gives people zits. usually it is hormonal.
  • kaassiia
    kaassiia Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    May not be the coffee... Do you add milk? Or creamer? That may be the culprit.
  • steffie113
    steffie113 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh I haven't made myself clear at all.
    I want to start eating lunch but struggle as I'm never hungry. I turn to coffee (with sugar) a lot to help raise my energy levels.
    I want to stop my caffeine fix and replace it with something more nutritious, but something that is easy to swallow and quick.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    How about a smoothie instead if you are looking for something light that you can drink on the go instead of coffee.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry, it's not really a big deal to skip lunch, as long as it doesn't cause you to be consistently too low on your calories. If you're worried about nutrients, take a multivitamin. Also, there's nothing really wrong with caffeine for an energy boost. I wouldn't count on it affecting your skin unless your doctor tells you so.
  • steffie113
    steffie113 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I never reach my calorie goal and train hard which obviously makes me tired and grumpy...