HELP!! Gained weight while cutting!

Options
Hi there!

I used to lift weights 4-5 days a week, but I had to move about 3 months ago and it took me a long time to find a gym and get settled in my new home. Those 3 months I didn't work out at all besides random 15 minute bodyweight circuits at home which I wasn't consistent with. I got a bit flabby during that time and wasn't as "tight" as I was before so I decided to cut when I finally got back into the gym which was last week. I had fixed my calories and macros to maintain about 3 weeks before hand because I was just eating whatever... When I started at the gym I used Scooby's accurate calorie calculator to calculate the amount of calories I needed to intake to cut at 10% (I like to cut slowly) for working out 5-6 days a week for an hour each time. I use Scooby's calculator because its been very spot on for me before. When I started back at the gym... somehow I ballooned up 3lbs!!! I've kept the 3lbs on for a week now... I'm not too sure whats going on, as usually I drop a bunch of water weight in the first week of cutting. I am eating more than I was when I just sat on the couch all day, because I am now doing a lot of activity and lifting weights as heavy as I can (doing PHAT). I've even dropped my sodium intake, to try to get rid of water weight, getting around 1500-2000mg max a day.

Macros are around 250c 60f 125p, bodyweight is 120lbs currently. It comes from beans, lentils, rice, sweet potatos, seitan, brocoli, fruit, seeds, nuts, soy milk, protein powder, and nut butters.

Help?

Replies

• NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hm. What's your height, and can you open your diary? Your carbs seem pretty high, but that's just me. I'm doing macros on a cut and I'm 135/60/115
    ETA: I agree with the posters below.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Recently back to 5-6 days/week working out after 3 months off? Water weight for muscle repair is my guess.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yup, water weight, totally normal when getting started or getting back to consistent workouts
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    So... you started back at the gym and began to lift again a week ago. SOunds like water retention for muscle repair to me.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Another vote for water retention.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    yup sounds like water to me too.
  • ishkur
    ishkur Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    NataBost wrote: »
    Hm. What's your height, and can you open your diary? Your carbs seem pretty high, but that's just me. I'm doing macros on a cut and I'm 135/60/115
    ETA: I agree with the posters below.

Diary is open now, forgot to mention I eat a lot of ezekiel bread, too. Reason why carbs are so high is because my protein doesn't come from animal sources, my protein sources are usually quite high in carbs unfortunately.
  • ishkur
    ishkur Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Recently back to 5-6 days/week working out after 3 months off? Water weight for muscle repair is my guess.
    Yup, water weight, totally normal when getting started or getting back to consistent workouts
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    So... you started back at the gym and began to lift again a week ago. SOunds like water retention for muscle repair to me.
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Another vote for water retention.
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    yup sounds like water to me too.

So I guess the verdict is water retention. I thought that could be it, I had gnarly DOMS for a while after my first few days. Practically almost couldn't walk this week after my first leg day.