Fitbit in the washing machine!

Options
Help! I just left my Fitbit on a piece of clothing and threw it in the washing machine. It was there for about 13 minutes! I pulled it out and put it in a bowl of rice. Didn't know what else to do? Anybody have any experience with this?

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    instead of a bowl of rice put it into a bag with rice so that it's sealed, don't know if that makes a difference but I've always heard bag of rice. do not touch it for 2 days, if there's an on/off switch make sure it's in the off position and do not try to turn it on for 2 days.

if it can be broken down into pieces (battery removed, etc) break it down.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Help! I just left my Fitbit on a piece of clothing and threw it in the washing machine. It was there for about 13 minutes! I pulled it out and put it in a bowl of rice. Didn't know what else to do? Anybody have any experience with this?

Keep it in the rice over night. While that is happening, find your receipt. Contact fitbit and tell them what happened. The receipt should be all you need to get a replacement.
  • walkermom58
    walkermom58 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It seems like a good sign that it is still sending me messages, but it is really wet!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    If the rice fails, call customer service at Fitbit. They may replace it free of charge.
  • GreenPirogue
    GreenPirogue Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well, I have gone through two FitBit ones because of the washing machine. And it always happens when I have on exercise clothes. I think I am going to get a different fitness tracker.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Fit bit replaced the fitbit my dog ate. The customer service people were quite helpful and responsive. My fitbit would probably never end up in the washing machine because I also so compulsive about not missing any steps. It does from pajamas, to day clothes, to workout clothes and back to pajamas as the day moves on.
  • Fitwarrior7_Round_2
    Fitwarrior7_Round_2 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    mine is waterproof?
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I know several people who had theirs replaced free by Fitbit. One of them just lost it during a half marathon. Their stories of the excellent fitbit customer service is what made me buy one instead of another brand. So, if the rice thing doesn't work out, contact customer service.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Fitbit customer service is amazing.

You can learn more (and find Fitbit friends) in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Fitbits are water resistant (at least I know the flex is....) so it might be just fine!
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing the washing machine really increased your step count for the day.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Fitbits are water resistant (at least I know the flex is....) so it might be just fine!

Water resistant is not the same as waterproof. It is meant to survive rain and sweat, but not necessarily being submerged.

I had my first FitBit die on me a little less than a year after I got it. I contacted FitBit, told them it was dying on me, and they replaced it. Then a week after I got the one they sent me, that one died. Now, the third one is holding strong. They have great customer service. If you have proof of purchase, they're really good about working with you to get you a replacement. Sometimes they can take a few days to respond, but they really do have great service.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    dfranch wrote: »
    I'm guessing the washing machine really increased your step count for the day.

LOL, true!
  • boywaja
    boywaja Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I washed my fitbit one. And dried it :/

still works.

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I washed my Fitbit, emailed customer service to ask if they had any suggestions, and they sent me a new one free of charge.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I accidentally swam with mine on, but just two lengths, it worked afterwards! Good Luck
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »

Water resistant is not the same as waterproof. It is meant to survive rain and sweat, but not necessarily being submerged.

I had my first FitBit die on me a little less than a year after I got it. I contacted FitBit, told them it was dying on me, and they replaced it. Then a week after I got the one they sent me, that one died. Now, the third one is holding strong. They have great customer service. If you have proof of purchase, they're really good about working with you to get you a replacement. Sometimes they can take a few days to respond, but they really do have great service.

The Flex is water resistant to 10 meters which means it can be submerged up to 10 meters without a problem. The other Fitbit models are "splash proof" which means they can get wet, but shouldn't be submerged.

One of the reasons I chose the Flex was because it can be worn in water. I swim laps and take a water aerobics class and needed one I can wear. I also have a bad habit of forgetting to take things off my clothes so there is a good chance I would do the "fitbit in the washer" thing too.

• lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I know the flex u can swim with. But the rest they dont recommend even showering with it.
  • buckleten
    buckleten Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, mine went through the wash, and the tumble dryer! And it was fine once it dried out!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    buckleten wrote: »
    Don't worry, mine went through the wash, and the tumble dryer! And it was fine once it dried out!

This^

Mine made it through the washer. Just keep it in the rice awhile, I left mine in a couple days.