Blood donation

Options
Hey guys, I've been a regular blood donator for over 4 years. I do it every two months. Blood regeneration creates a calorie deficit (over 4000), it takes a few days. Should I include it somehow in my log? What I mean is, I have a higher demand for energy especially during the first day after donation, should I keep my goals or can I eat a little more?

Thanks

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    4,000 sounds quite high?

I don't know if I'd log it as like a exercise or something to increase my calorie goal, but make sure you eat something after donating to stop you feeling faint (I'm sure you know that) - I may not log that cookie/glass of juice.

I should add I've never been able to give blood so I'm being purely speculative here based on what I've read.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'd eat more.
  • NerdyNix
    NerdyNix Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm also not able to give blood so not sure. 4,000 sounds really high though. I didn't realise it made that much of a difference.

I would just do what others have said; eat more than usual days and maybe not log it. Not sure how you would log the blood donation!
  • poszukiwaczprawdy
    poszukiwaczprawdy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well, I assume it's about 4 000, because I receive 10 chocolates and some other stuff as a regeneration meal (lol). I always give the chocolates to my younger sister or some kids on the street, but I always feel like I have to eat something really big :D
  • poszukiwaczprawdy
    Options
    "Not sure how you would log the blood donation!"

Yeah, I tried to find an exercise like that in database, but that was stupid :D I don't want to log it, just making sure that if I will eat a bit more carbs, fat and proteins it will be alright
  • yesimpson
    Options
    Well, I assume it's about 4 000, because I receive 10 chocolates and some other stuff as a regeneration meal (lol). I always give the chocolates to my younger sister or some kids on the street, but I always feel like I have to eat something really big :D

Does blood donation cause your blood sugar levels to drop? Because that could account for the hungry feeling, without you necessarily needing to eat a calorific snack/meal.

I'm not sure the food they're giving you is to accurately replenish any calorie output - it might just be to keep you coming back and stop you getting jelly legs on your way home :D
  • yesimpson
    Options
    I'm a little more gutted about not being able to donate blood now I'm aware of the goodies they're handing out.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Every two months? Crikey in the UK we can only give blood three times a year as it really takes it out of you. Really surprised you can do it so frequently and not suffer any effects from it.

I give blood and usually feel a little tired for a day or so but never notice a massive calorific deficit from it.
  • SquatNSparkle
    SquatNSparkle Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I give every 8 to 10 weeks. After toying with the idea of how to log, I just don't. I usually bring my own snack, like a quest bar as everything they have afterwards is usually junk food. Or I will grab trail mix package...
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Blood regeneration "burns" about 470-600 calories. I remember seeing the red cross say 500 calories, once. They have removed that number from their site since it's misleading. It's about 500 calories over the 8 weeks, or about 8 calories per day.

I donate regularly, sometimes Whole Blood, sometimes Double Red. On donation days, I eat at maintenance, maybe maintenance + 200 calories if I feel faint. The day after I usually eat at or just under maintenance. I usually two days to do heavy cardio.
  • yesimpson
    Options
    A very quick and unscientific Google on the topic has suggested the calorie burn is more like 650.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    As blood volume decreases, it causes a sudden drop in blood pressure. This sudden drop causes some people to faint. Sudden decreases in blood sugar level also cause fainting. That's the reason why they give you 10 chocolates. It has nothing to do with calorie output.

You don't log blood donation as 'exercise' because it isn't exercise and does not produce a significant calorie burn. You are doing something out of the goodness of your heart. So I don't understand why you are trying to count it as exercise……..
  • poszukiwaczprawdy
    Options
    I see now that was probably a wrong assumption: people burn approximately 650 calories per donation of one pint of blood, according to the University of California, San Diego. Anyway, it makes a perfect sense, because your body has to physically create a whole pint of a new blood.

In Poland male can donate every 8 weeks and female every 12 weeks, actually you could donate even more often, because your blood regenerate in about 2 weeks.
  • SquatNSparkle
    Options
    your body replaces the blood over time, the "burn" is negligible IMO
  • poszukiwaczprawdy
    Options
    Alright, I'm not a doctor, actually it doesn't matter for me, I just wanted to know how you guys deal with it, because I often feel wild hunger after a few hours after donation.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Sure would be nice if it were 4000.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I'd not overthink it. To not exacerbate the light-headedness, I would eat at maintenance on the day you give blood and perhaps the day before if was an early morning donation. Then I'd go back to your deficit.

Sadly I'm not allowed to give blood in the US because I'm a Brit and lived in England through the BSE (mad cow) years.
  • ismith21990
    ismith21990 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Dear Blood Donator,

I too regularly donate and actually asked my nurse the other day when I was donating. She told me you do actually "burn" about 600 calories when donating a pint of blood. I asked my phlebotomist about the topic and she said you really need some extra sugar as donating blood significantly lowers your blood sugar. Hence the juice and cookies/candy they provide after. She told me to shoot for an EXTRA 400 or 500 calories for the day and you should be perfectly safe.
  • SquatNSparkle
    Options
    OP your question was legitimate IMO, and you need to deal with it how you see fit. We are all just sharing opinions. Sorry if I came off snarky...as I said, I thought about some of the same questions. For me, I just determined it wasn't worth worrying about logging...for what it's worth, I do eat more on donation day!! closer to TDEE. I suck at logging to be honest...
  • poszukiwaczprawdy
    Options
    Thanks guys, now I get it all. It's not a big deal for me I usually donate about 9 AM and continue my work day afterwards, it's just that hunger about 5 PM! :D Anyway, thanks guys for a great feedback. And of course I recommend donating blood, it's fun :D