Weight Loss Plateau

Options
So I've been calorie tracking since January. I'm down to 189 from 210lbs. I've also been doing the Stronglifts 5x5 for about the last 3 weeks. Seems I've been stuck around the 189-192lb mark. Is this due to the workout? Still eating the same and remaining under my calorie goals. I'm 5'10", age 40 so I thought around 180 was an ideal weight.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Due to diary being closed we can only guess but...

I suspect you don't use a food scale for solids???? Eating back too many exercise calories???? Could be some water retention from new exercise.

Logging accurately and consistently is the key...

but a plateau isn't really there until it's been about 4 weeks...which means you are eating at maintenance which means you need to tighten up logging...see above.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    @SezxyStef hit the main points. Every time I seem to stall, I tighten my logging and it gets the scale moving. For some reason I tend to loosen up on tracking, thinking that I can have a handful of nuts or crackers. Then I forgot that I ate them and eat something else...etc. It happens to us all.
  • BklynFitGuy
    BklynFitGuy Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Makes sense. Thanks for the advice.
  • twink9223
    twink9223 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had this same problem after losing a stone I was stuck on the 15st.4 mark for about a month,I cut down my calorie intake a bit more and exercised abit more now im down to 14st 13lb after 2 weeks
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    MikeDee_ny wrote: »
    So I've been calorie tracking since January. I'm down to 189 from 210lbs. I've also been doing the Stronglifts 5x5 for about the last 3 weeks. Seems I've been stuck around the 189-192lb mark. Is this due to the workout? Still eating the same and remaining under my calorie goals. I'm 5'10", age 40 so I thought around 180 was an ideal weight.

Could also be that your calorie goal needs to be tweaked a bit....you're 20 lbs lighter now, so you'll burn slightly less calories just moving your body around day to day.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    @SezxyStef hit the main points. Every time I seem to stall, I tighten my logging and it gets the scale moving. For some reason I tend to loosen up on tracking, thinking that I can have a handful of nuts or crackers. Then I forgot that I ate them and eat something else...etc. It happens to us all.

I agree, we become complacent after we've seen loses and loosen up on portions. Once I start weighing things ahain it hits me...maybe that 4oz was really more like 5, oops.
    Move forward by going back to basics and I'm sure your consistency will pay off. Slow progress is progress. Good luck and great job thus far.