Cardio or Just lift heavy on my "Off Days"

Options
Hi Guys,
Here is my goal: to look more toned. I would ultimately like to loose weight and get to my UGW of 114 which I was before I had my third (so far with my other two, I have been able to get back down to that). But here is my question, as a lot of you know, I do cross training and the weight machines 3 days a week. My cross training class is excellent and 70 minutes long then I do about another 30-45 minutes on the machines or doing squats using barbells, etc.

On my "off" days I was planning on just doing zumba as my cardio, BUT I have been reading a lot about women getting way more toned from concentrating more on heavy lifting rather than cardio. For my cross training class it is a TON of both, but a LOT of strength. On my off days, would I benefit more from just working a lot on heavy lifting (I'd WAY rather do that because I enjoy it more but ONLY if it is going to give me the results I want...of course with consistency).

So, what is better on my off days, lifting heavy, or doing lighter cardio? Thanks guys!

Replies

• BrittanyBrines
    BrittanyBrines Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Also I'm asking this before I exercise today because I want to do whatever would be the most beneficial toward my goal. I've been looking through th thread about women lifting heavy and the success stories in there are GREAT!! Really motivating me. Regardless I am going to start lifting heavy, but I didn't know how much cardio to be doing or if what we do in class is enough as long as I'm really working hard on the heavy lifting part.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    if you're lifting in your cross training class, you wouldn't want to lift the next day...unless you're doing a body split, you don't want to lift on consecutive days...to get the benefits of lifting you have to rest the muscles.
  • BrittanyBrines
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    if you're lifting in your cross training class, you wouldn't want to lift the next day...unless you're doing a body split, you don't want to lift on consecutive days...to get the benefits of lifting you have to rest the muscles.
    She does every muscle in class, but normally only concentrates hard on one area (for example, yesterday it was legs and butt. We did arms, but only because she does every area regardless...for example, we'll do squats with arm press...but with really light 3-5 lb weights). So even if we do that, should I take a break from every muscle or would it be okay to do arms today since we didn't really concentrate too hard on them yesterday?

If I should take a break completely on lifting today, should I do cardio them? Or just take a break all together except maybe a walk or something?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I would suggest looking into a good beginner program like strong lifts, new rules of lifting for woman, or starting strength. Pick one of those, run it for four to six months, and see how you like it. You can do cardio on your off lifting days if you want, but you should also have one, one hundred percent rest day.

Like wolfman said, you are going to have to pick one or the other...

if you keep doing your classes and try to lift heavy you are going to burn out pretty quick. and lifting just to lift heavy with no real goal or structured program, is just spinning your wheels..IMO.
  • BrittanyBrines
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I would suggest looking into a good beginner program like strong lifts, new rules of lifting for woman, or starting strength. Pick one of those, run it for four to six months, and see how you like it. You can do cardio on your off lifting days if you want, but you should also have one, one hundred percent rest day.

if you keep doing your classes and try to lift heavy you are going to burn out pretty quick. and lifting just to lift heavy with no real goal or structured program, is just spinning your wheels..IMO.

I would really like to keep doing my class. What if I did my heavy lifting and my class on the same day (I kinda do that anyways, I go in before class and do strength then we do a combo of strength and cardio in class) would that cause burn out or now? I don't want to burn out and I don't want to regress because I'm working my muscles out too hard either but even though the class is tough, I sometimes wonder if it is enough. Especially when I'm not sore the next day. Then I could do zumba or some other just plain cardio on my off days. I do have a 100% off day. Normally it is Sundays. SOME weeks I accidentally have two (Sat. and Sunday).

I'm trying not to worry about the weight too much and just focus on the toning, but I really would like to get back down to that 114, though I know if I'm building muscle, that might not be possible. The number on the scale is all just a mind game.
  • BrittanyBrines
    Options

Also, is it actually true that concentrating more on lifting heavy rather than a ton of cardio will help me to achieve my goal of slimming down and toning or is that false and I should be doing a ton more cardio to slim down and loose BF?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Also, is it actually true that concentrating more on lifting heavy rather than a ton of cardio will help me to achieve my goal of slimming down and toning or is that false and I should be doing a ton more cardio to slim down and loose BF?

honestly, cardio has nothing to do with losing body fat. Calorie deficit will make you lose body fat. I only do about 20 minutes of cardio a week, and I have been losing about a pound per week on my most recent cut.

If you eat in a calorie deficit, lift heavy, and do minimal cardio you will lose body fat, and IMO look better when you get to your goal weight..

I think @sardelsa can give you some good advice on this from a womans perspective...
  • ndj1979
    Options

I would really like to keep doing my class. What if I did my heavy lifting and my class on the same day (I kinda do that anyways, I go in before class and do strength then we do a combo of strength and cardio in class) would that cause burn out or now? I don't want to burn out and I don't want to regress because I'm working my muscles out too hard either but even though the class is tough, I sometimes wonder if it is enough. Especially when I'm not sore the next day. Then I could do zumba or some other just plain cardio on my off days. I do have a 100% off day. Normally it is Sundays. SOME weeks I accidentally have two (Sat. and Sunday).

I'm trying not to worry about the weight too much and just focus on the toning, but I really would like to get back down to that 114, though I know if I'm building muscle, that might not be possible. The number on the scale is all just a mind game.

The kind of program that I am thinking of is going to be one that is based around big compound lifts and is going to leave you pretty taxed. I know that you "think" you are lifting right now, but the class that you are doing sounds more like a combination cardio with lighter weights.

can you give me some examples of the kinds of lifting you do? Number of sets, weight, workout?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

leaning out is largely a bi-product of your diet, not what exercise you're doing. Try to start looking at exercise and fitness for the sake of fitness...this is why I tell anyone who asks to establish some fitness goals that are completely independent of losing weight or calorie burns.

I lift a few days per week and ride 60ish miles on average, plus I do some hiking and swimming and I walk my dog a lot...I've lost weight doing this, maintained weight doing this and deliberately gained weight while doing this. The difference between these three weight control objectives wasn't my exercise...it was my diet.

Cardiovascular exercise is good for your heart and cardiovascular system...it will also build you endurance and stamina....it is weight lifting for your cardiovascular system. Resistance training is going to train your muscles and help you maintain muscle mass as you lose weight...so as you cut fat, muscle is exposed and you get that "toned" look...being "toned" is a bi-product of having muscle and cutting fat to reveal that muscle. The key here is that you have to have muscle to be "toned"...to have muscle means you have to do resistance training.

I can't comment specifically on your class as I don't know all of the ins and out...but it sounds like it is some form of resistance training probably mixed with some cardio...this is fine depending on your fitness goals...but you really shouldn't be doing two resistance programs simultaneously. Pick one or the other. If you're truly following a "heavy" program, it is going to be extremely taxing on your body...when I do "heavy" cycles, I don't do much more than lift 3x per week and maybe a couple days on the bike...it's too taxing to do much more than that and get proper recovery. This is why I only do "heavy" cycles occasionally, and for my goals, those cycles are fairly short.

Personally, I work in a variety of rep ranges. I don't always lift heavy. I go through cycles of lighter weight and lower rep work...cycles of hypertrophy work, and cycles of strength (heavy) work. I don't do it all at the same time though. cycles and seasons.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

The kind of program that I am thinking of is going to be one that is based around big compound lifts and is going to leave you pretty taxed. I know that you "think" you are lifting right now, but the class that you are doing sounds more like a combination cardio with lighter weights.

can you give me some examples of the kinds of lifting you do? Number of sets, weight, workout?

I was thinking the same thing. If you were really lifting in this class of yours, you probably wouldn't be asking if you needed to lift on the non-class days.

And OP, it may be more helpful to post a picture of somebody's body that you hope to achieve. Unfortunately, words like "toning" are pretty subjective around here and can mean a lot of different things.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options

In general, I think this is your best goal to look into. I have done StrongLifts 5x5 and its more advanced variations most of my life. It is a good program from novice to advance. Check at your gym and make sure they have Olympic weights and barbells (20kg/45lb) and most importantly fractional (0.25lb., 0.50lb., 0.75lb., 1lb.) weights. You will need these to work your way through the progressions. In the beginning it is important to work on developing good lifting form. If you have not done some of the exercises before, or even if you have, while you are on the lighter weights have a personal trainer familiar with lifting help you on your form. You only need a few sessions to get you started and then have them check your form out as you enter into the heavier weights to make sure you are still using good form. Your form while you lift is where you will prevent injury and set backs, so it is worth the investment from time to time.

Which all means that on your rest days you can do some cardio if you want. Though at least one of your rest days should be just that, rest. Rest days are where the muscles you have put under strain in strength training will repair themselves and allow you to progress to the next level.

Good Luck!
  • BrittanyBrines
    Options

You are probably right which is why I am wondering if I should do mroe heavy lifting on the days of my class or do it on my off days. So for example, we will do walking jump squats with weights 5-8 lbs doing skull crushers. Or we'll do knees and punching with 8 lb weights. We do each of these things at least 32 times and do about 2-3 sets. This is just a few examples, we do a lot of different things. Lots of pushups, burpees, etc. It is more body weight strength, but we do use dumbells, they are just normally no heavier than 8 lbs. So should I work more on heavy lifting the same day as I do that class or since I'm not really doing heavy lifting in that class, I should do my heavy lifting on my "off days.?"
  • BrittanyBrines
    Options
    Thanks for the wonderful help so far everyone. I appreciate it. I'll see if I can find a picture of what I'm going for. It is hard because I am not comfortable posting a picture of myself, but I think it would be helpful to see where I am at currently too.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    How long have you been doing the classes? The question you have to ask yourself, are you seeing the results you want. If not, you may want to change things up. I agree that doing the class plus heavy lifting is going to be really strenuous, you want to pick a goal and go with it. And definitely follow a program - Stronglifts, NROLFW, Strong Curves, etc.

Heavy lifting will give you that "toned" look you are after - don't worry about the scale too much.

ETA: If you are going to be doing heavy lifting after the class, your body will likely be run down from the other workout and you likely won't get as much out of lifting (and the desired results) as you would if you did the lifting only and made it priority
  • ndj1979
    Options

You are probably right which is why I am wondering if I should do mroe heavy lifting on the days of my class or do it on my off days. So for example, we will do walking jump squats with weights 5-8 lbs doing skull crushers. Or we'll do knees and punching with 8 lb weights. We do each of these things at least 32 times and do about 2-3 sets. This is just a few examples, we do a lot of different things. Lots of pushups, burpees, etc. It is more body weight strength, but we do use dumbells, they are just normally no heavier than 8 lbs. So should I work more on heavy lifting the same day as I do that class or since I'm not really doing heavy lifting in that class, I should do my heavy lifting on my "off days.?"

that sounds like a circuit training/cardio with weights type program.

Based on that, I do not think that you would be able to do your class and then do something like strong lifts or a similar program.

You could pick one of the programs and then still do your class on some of your off lifting days. However, I would be wary that eventually the volume of your class + lifting heavy compound movements is going to burn you out.

my recommendation.

pick a heavy lifting program
    do your class once a week still
    run said program for three to four months and see if you like the results.

• BrittanyBrines
    Options

Based on that, I do not think that you would be able to do your class and then do something like strong lifts or a similar program.

You could pick one of the programs and then still do your class on some of your off lifting days. However, I would be wary that eventually the volume of your class + lifting heavy compound movements is going to burn you out.

my recommendation.

Okay sounds good, yeah that sounds like an accurate description of my class. I am going to look into the heavy lifting programs now and do them like you said and see what happens. I am thinking I will like the results though. Should I be doing any other just plain cardio mixed in with what you said above or just strictly do what you sated: heavy lifting program
    my class once a week
    1 100% rest day

OR should it be
    heavy lifting
    class once a week
    simple easy cardio on off days
    one 100% rest day

• BrittanyBrines
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    How long have you been doing the classes? The question you have to ask yourself, are you seeing the results you want. If not, you may want to change things up. I agree that doing the class plus heavy lifting is going to be really strenuous, you want to pick a goal and go with it. And definitely follow a program - Stronglifts, NROLFW, Strong Curves, etc.

Heavy lifting will give you that "toned" look you are after - don't worry about the scale too much.

ETA: If you are going to be doing heavy lifting after the class, your body will likely be run down from the other workout and you likely won't get as much out of lifting (and the desired results) as you would if you did the lifting only and made it priority

I am definitely starting to see results from the class (ie. weight loss, stomach becoming more toned, becoming stronger) but I've only been doing it for 4-6 weeks now at 3 days a week. I honestly don't know how much progress I should see by now. I do see some, but don't know if I'd see MORE from doing something else. :) I'm new to all of this.
  • ndj1979
    edited June 2015
    Options

my recommendation.

Okay sounds good, yeah that sounds like an accurate description of my class. I am going to look into the heavy lifting programs now and do them like you said and see what happens. I am thinking I will like the results though. Should I be doing any other just plain cardio mixed in with what you said above or just strictly do what you sated: heavy lifting program
    my class once a week
    1 100% rest day

OR should it be
    heavy lifting
    class once a week
    simple easy cardio on off days
    one 100% rest day

Really it is just personal preference on the light cardio thing. If you want to try it and see how you feel then go for it. If you start feeling burned out then you probably need to back off the class or the light cardio. But you need to have at least one rest day where you pretty much do nothing.

here is my schedule:

Monday - lift
    Tuesday - lift
    wens - light cardio/core
    thurs - lift
    Friday - lift
    Saturday/sunday - rest or active rest....

my program is a little more intermediate so it has me lifting four days a week...

I am not familiar with stronglifts but I think it is three times a week, but I am not sure...?
  • BrittanyBrines
    Options
    Awesome, thanks so much everyone for the help!! I really do appreciate it. For now I am just going to do some lifting today and then later look into those programs mentioned above. :D
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I would always side with lifting over cardio.