Why am I not losing weight?- Have a perfect diet and exercise regimen. Nothing still :(

Guys, need your help big time-

Here's is a look at my diary entry for a day and the calories from MFP- it is almost the same everyday-

FOOD- 1236 calories a day.

Breakfast= 301 calories
A smoothie with silk almond milk (1 cup_, chobani simply 100 yogurt and half a banana; 1 slice of ezekiel sprout bread

Snack- 162 calories
15 baby carrots, raw
12 Almonds

Lunch-334 calories
Fresh veggie salad (cucmbers, carrots, grape tomatoes and some beans from office cafe)- 0.75 cup
Chobani simply 100 Yogurt
1.5 cup homemade butternut squash and carrot soup

Snack- 169 calories
Eas - Lean 15 - Vanilla Creme, 30 g (1 packet- 2 scoops)
1 Navel orange

Dinner- 270 calories
Steamfresh/ green giant steamed veggies- 1 packet
Melon- cantaloupe- 2cups

Everyday exercise Routine-
Cardio: HIIT on Treadmill for 35 minutes- 2.2 miles and 375 calories burned
Weight training- 25 minutes approx. 150- 200 calories burned

I have thyroid issues that are under control, we have changes the antidepressant so it won't cause weight gain, I work out 5-6 days a week, I drink a LOT of water, I watch the sodium, the fat and the sugars in my diet, no caffeine.

I have a nutritionist, a therapist and a psychiatrist/endocrinologist helping me. A personal trainer designed my workouts and I added my own exercises along the way.

Tried between April and July of last year and went down from 258 to 236 lbs. Gained back 10 lbs.

Started in April 2015 and lost 9 lbs. so down to 237 lbs now.

No progress for the past month and more.

What do I do? This is the exact reason I gave up last year. Trying desperately not to, this year.

HELP!!!!

-Nirupama

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Do you weigh your food?

And that sounds like a very sad diet :(
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    you are not logging here but it's obvious you are not weighing your food so the calorie counts are off.

you are eating more than you think and/or your burns are too high.

If you are in a deficit you lose weight, if you are eating too much you gain...if you are eating at maintenance you neither gain nor lose.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    you are not logging here but it's obvious you are not weighing your food so the calorie counts are off.

If you are in a deficit you lose weight, if you are eating too much you gain...if you are eating at maintenance you neither gain nor lose.

Yup.

Plus..holy crap where's the protein in that diet?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    Hi Nirupama,

When's the last time you logged? I looked at your diary to see your protein count but you haven't logged recently. Are you a vegetarian?

Best,

KK
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Do you weigh your food?

And that sounds like a very sad diet :(

all of that......
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    OP does not weigh there food out therefore the calorie count is not as accurate.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    i would switch over to measuring in grams instead of Cups, slices or pieces. Just to make sure you are eating the exact calorie amount you think you are.
  • nimmu87
    nimmu87 Posts: 11 Member
    I have everything pre-planned with the nutritionist and stick to the same exact thing everyday. True I don't weigh my food, but the veggies in the salad and the soup may not be the problem. I am a vegetarian and yes, the greek yogurt and protein powder are my sources of protein. I stick to the exact same diet and exercise routine everyday, so I don't log. I drive far to work, have a demanding job and get home at 9:30 PM after 11.5 hours at the gym. So, logging seems like a burden. I then prepare for the next day.
  • nimmu87
    nimmu87 Posts: 11 Member
    May be a "sad" diet, but for a person away from my home country dealing with major depression and absolutely no appetite, and having to force food down my throat, a diet seems like a good "meal plan" to me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    nimmu87 wrote: »
    I have everything pre-planned with the nutritionist and stick to the same exact thing everyday. True I don't weigh my food, but the veggies in the salad and the soup may not be the problem. I am a vegetarian and yes, the greek yogurt and protein powder are my sources of protein. I stick to the exact same diet and exercise routine everyday, so I don't log. I drive far to work, have a demanding job and get home at 9:30 PM after 11.5 hours at the gym. So, logging seems like a burden. I then prepare for the next day.

So what does your nutritionist say about the fact you're not losing weight?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    May be a "sad" diet, but for a person away from my home country dealing with major depression and absolutely no appetite, and having to force food down my throat, a diet seems like a good "meal plan" to me.

I would be getting help if the bold was me.

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member

THIS ...for sure

Weigh ALL your food on a food scale.

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Personally, I would find a registered dietician rather than a nutritionist, if that's the way you need to go... with the amount of exercise you are doing and the amount of food you are consuming... I would definitely find someone that isn't going to starve you to death... not to mention, someone that can help you get some more protein into your vegetarian diet. but that's just me.
  • kshama2001
    I agree that the veggies in the salad and the soup are probably not the problem.

I am pretty much stumped but will take a shot. One that comes to mind is protein - I looked back earlier in May and saw some eggs. Try eating more eggs?

Maybe talk to your trainer about shaking your exercise routine up? I always lose weight when I swim regularly, but since I can't tolerate chlorine, my swimming season is only a few months long.

• kshama2001

Do you practice yoga? That helps me with depression, anxiety, and other things.

I'd ignore that unnecessary value judgment of "sad."

• bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    I'm sorry you are having such a hard time.

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited June 2015

That may be the issue, I don't think your calorie counts are correct. You indicate you only eat about 1200 calories TOTAL per day and work off another 500-700. You'd only be netting in that 700-500 calorie per day range and weight would be falling off (not necessarily a good thing).

If all of your calorie estimations are indeed correct, there is most likely something medically going on. No one should stall at that little of intake.
  • RebeccaD22
    RebeccaD22 Posts: 202 Member
    Adding on to the above comments, which i agree with a lot of them, you need to mix things up while still being healthy. Your body is getting used to the same workout and isn't gaining anything from it. You need to try some swimming or biking or even walking!

Good luck and whatever you do, don't give up.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member

THIS ...for sure

Weigh ALL your food on a food scale.
    This.

You're probably eating more (calories) than you think.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

What do the professionals you work with suggest? Honestly for someone with your medical problems, 9 lbs since April sounds pretty good. That was only 2 months ago! Maybe your expectations are simply too high.

I would suggest not giving up!! Stick with the plan from those familiar with your specific needs and be patient.