Best way to lose thighs' fat?

Options
2»

Replies

• VeggieStef
    VeggieStef Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    VeggieStef wrote: »
    Running works for me. My thighs aren't tiny but I like the shape of them much more now :) Of course as you know diet, too.

I started the C25K 5 weeks ago.

most runners have great legs right? Lol

That is a good program! Yes, runners legs are a good thing! :)
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    You guys are right on everything you are saying. Thank you for your support. I'm pretty frustrated. Weight loss plateau is a B****. I need to throw away my scale and listen to your guys advices.

was scrolling through the topic, maybe i missed it, where did you get the idea you're in a plateau?

Gained 84 lbs with pregnancy. And I haven't been able to lose the last 25 lbs haven't lose a single lb since November and I see changes everywhere on my body but my thighs

Have you reevaluated your calories lately? 9 times out of a 10 a plateau is the result of 1) not reducing your calorie goal as you lose, 2) overestimating calories burned, 3) underestimating calories eaten, or a combination of all three. Check all of those and see if those may be the cause of your plateau.

I wasn't counting calories for the first 55 lbs I was making healthy choices and not letting be more than 600 calories/meal. Yesterday, I got back to MFP and have it set to almost 1500 calories a day (so there is a reduction) I have a polarF7 which I use every time I workout (unless I forget it of course) and usually I burn between 400 to 800 a day 5 days a week. I try to eat some of the calories burned but not all.

Stick with the goal MFP gave you (the 1500) for 3-4 weeks. After 3-4 weeks, see what your weight has done. If you are losing, stick with it. If you have maintained, reduce your calories. If you have gained, again reduce your calories.

What kind of workouts are you doing? HRM are really only good for steady state cardio (i.e. running/walking), not circuits or weight lifting. They also tend to overestimate what you really burn (not as much as MFP does, but they do have a margin of error). If you are going to eat back your exercise calories, which you should if you are following the MFP method, start with only half of them. Again, stick with that for 3-4 weeks (same as above) and see what your weight does.

If that all sounds like too much hassle, you can try the TDEE method.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    donkey kicks. on weight machines or not. adductor and abductor work on weight machines or not...all are very effective at sculpting thighs and butt. simple. well defined = low weight and high reps ( negatives too) and just bulked legs = high weight low reps.

Not really though.

OP, the other advice posted gave regarding heavy lifting will work best (suggested programs posted are all great advice). And it's all dependent on your calories.

It sounds like you just need to reevaluate your calorie goals and get on a good beginner weight lifting program (random exercises for upper and lower a couple times a week won't be as effective as you're looking for). Great job losing the weight you've lost so far! As you get closer to your goal, you have to be more exact with hitting your calories because you have less wiggle room. Focus on the calories right now.

Also, sadly our bodies just choose what comes off and we can't control it. Judging from posts, none of us are happy with where it comes of last. Just keep at it. As long as you do the right thing, your goals will come. Just takes time.
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    urloved33 wrote: »
    donkey kicks. on weight machines or not. adductor and abductor work on weight machines or not...all are very effective at sculpting thighs and butt. simple. well defined = low weight and high reps ( negatives too) and just bulked legs = high weight low reps.

Not really though.

OP, the other advice posted gave regarding heavy lifting will work best (suggested programs posted are all great advice). And it's all dependent on your calories.

It sounds like you just need to reevaluate your calorie goals and get on a good beginner weight lifting program (random exercises for upper and lower a couple times a week won't be as effective as you're looking for). Great job losing the weight you've lost so far! As you get closer to your goal, you have to be more exact with hitting your calories because you have less wiggle room. Focus on the calories right now.

Also, sadly our bodies just choose what comes off and we can't control it. Judging from posts, none of us are happy with where it comes of last. Just keep at it. As long as you do the right thing, your goals will come. Just takes time.

That's true. Before pregnancy I wasn't happy with my body and now I wish I could have my pre pregnancy body lol. Thank you. I'm going to work on calories!
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    Options
    You guys are right on everything you are saying. Thank you for your support. I'm pretty frustrated. Weight loss plateau is a B****. I need to throw away my scale and listen to your guys advices.

was scrolling through the topic, maybe i missed it, where did you get the idea you're in a plateau?

Gained 84 lbs with pregnancy. And I haven't been able to lose the last 25 lbs haven't lose a single lb since November and I see changes everywhere on my body but my thighs

Have you reevaluated your calories lately? 9 times out of a 10 a plateau is the result of 1) not reducing your calorie goal as you lose, 2) overestimating calories burned, 3) underestimating calories eaten, or a combination of all three. Check all of those and see if those may be the cause of your plateau.

I wasn't counting calories for the first 55 lbs I was making healthy choices and not letting be more than 600 calories/meal. Yesterday, I got back to MFP and have it set to almost 1500 calories a day (so there is a reduction) I have a polarF7 which I use every time I workout (unless I forget it of course) and usually I burn between 400 to 800 a day 5 days a week. I try to eat some of the calories burned but not all.

Stick with the goal MFP gave you (the 1500) for 3-4 weeks. After 3-4 weeks, see what your weight has done. If you are losing, stick with it. If you have maintained, reduce your calories. If you have gained, again reduce your calories.

What kind of workouts are you doing? HRM are really only good for steady state cardio (i.e. running/walking), not circuits or weight lifting. They also tend to overestimate what you really burn (not as much as MFP does, but they do have a margin of error). If you are going to eat back your exercise calories, which you should if you are following the MFP method, start with only half of them. Again, stick with that for 3-4 weeks (same as above) and see what your weight does.

I run, do Zumba, kick boxing, do a cardio class that is high intensity using your body weight and a step, also I do weights 3times a week. One day I do upper body, the other core, and the other lower body. Workout between 3 to 5 days a week. Also, I go for little walks with another moms around my area.
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    Options

What device would you recommend? I was thinking about getting the new Fitbit because i think it can give me a better idea of how many calories I'm really but omg throughout the day and then see how many I should be eating that day. You know what I mean?
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Holy Crap Batman! Tell me he didn't go full retard, you never go full retard!

If you don't even understand that 1 pound of anything in the entire universe still only weighs 1 pound even though its volume may be different you are to under educated to be posting freely on any forum on any website in the entire universe, parallel or otherwise.

Have a nice day.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    DesertGunR wrote: »
    One thing that we all need to remember is that muscle weighs more than fat; and at first, anyway, you'll get a little discouraged if you are working out (with weights) . . . if you don't remember that! Go for it; just remember it is the way your clothes changing the way they fit on you that will determine this - not necessarily the scales at first. I think those of us who are built like others in our family are probably not ever going to get into a 'different' overall shape, just maybe better toned. Sometimes it is bone structure and that is something we can't change. Walking is a good exercise when you are dealing with your legs. I like to walk in the pool because of the resistance. Others might not agree with me; but, that is what I prefer to do. Especially in the summer, because I can keep cool and sometimes even get a little sun in. B)

Well... yes, muscle does weigh more than fat. It is also a much slower process (building muscle) than fat loss is. For one, the caloric expenditure you put forth in resistance training will burn fat FASTER than it builds muscle, that's part of the reason why you need to eat in a surplus to build muscle (outside of new lifters). Secondly, you will always be able to change your overall shape. It just takes a lot of consistency and hard work.

Muscle does not weigh more than Fat. One pound of Muscle weighs exactly the same as one pound of Fat. Muscle is denser than fat so it takes up less space by volume. Just like one pound of lead takes up far less space than one pound of feathers. That is why as you strength train and maintain your lean muscle mass you will see less weight loss on the scale. It is important that is you are strength training that you use a tape measure and photos to track your progress throughout the entire journey as they will show you the results that your scale will eventually slow down and/or stop showing you.

I hope that clears things up. Carry on.

Good Luck!

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat? So what weighs more, a lead ball or balloon ?? just curious...

Muscle doesn't weight more than fat. A pound is a pound is a pound. Which weighs more: a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks? Muscle is more dense than fat, which is why you can weigh more per the scale but be smaller. Back to the feathers and bricks: with the feathers you'll have a crapton more volume than with the bricks, but you'll have the same scale weight.

You're missing my point, the point is in the human language density IS IMPLIED. NO one said "a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat" the statment is "muscle weighs more than fat" just like a lead ball wieghs more than a balloon. Why? Density is implied. And honestly, the fat density to muscle density is very small. Not as much as you think..

Fat has a density of 0.9g/cm^3, muscle has the density of 1.1g/cm^3. That's nothing, so honestly it's the same on a standard body scale. Those pictures that people go passing around, are highly inaccurate.

Do you have anything to add to the OP, or are you just here to argue semantics? Again.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Well, I'll offer you some long term eventual hope.

Even if you lose weight, and your thighs stay larger than you like (this has happened to me), rest assured that one day, your dreams of slimmer thighs might come true.

You just have to wait until menopause.

I've been up and down the scales for years, but my thighs always stayed stubbornly large. I had what is now "in" as a "thick" build even at my slimmest. I always lost very little weight in my thighs when I did lose and it was the last place I'd lose.

Now that menopause has hit, I am losing weight in my thighs proportionally, if not at a greater rate than I would have previously.

I'm probably going to build them up eventually with squats, though, and I'll take the muscles.
  • quintinmasonjr24
    quintinmasonjr24 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Lots of sex, squats preferably while having sex will tone those thighs kitty kat :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    spin class. 2 or 3 times a week.
  • ShanonVdM
    ShanonVdM Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Just start RUNNING ! It worked for me ! ALOT !
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    When I joined MFP I didn't really bother with serious research on anyone who hadn't lost at least 75lbs, since my goal was to lose 100lbs. Chatted with a lot of folks, learned plenty along the way, but learned considerably more from those people with my start and end points.

What I'm suggesting is that you find people who look like what you want to look like and specifically who started off where you are today and friend them, ask them questions, etc.

And ignore the rest. Especially any bickering or "broscience".
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Help me understand.

So, you guys say I CAN"T build muscle if I am in a calorie deficit? But if I want to lose weight ( which I do, about 35 pounds )I have to be in a deficit...but there is no point strength straining because I wont build muscle??
    Should I just not strength train until I lost the weight I want to lose?

Thanks!

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Help me understand.

So, you guys say I CAN"T build muscle if I am in a calorie deficit? But if I want to lose weight ( which I do, about 35 pounds )I have to be in a deficit...but there is no point strength straining because I wont build muscle??
    Should I just not strength train until I lost the weight I want to lose?

Thanks!

A deficit causes you to burn both muscle and fat. Lifting helps retain muscle during that time.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Ok..so I can still tone and keep the muscles I do have?

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    The "tone" look you're seeking comes from losing body fat so your muscles show. Lift to keep the muscle and eat at a deficit to lose the fat. It will all come together.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Eating at deficit will not allow you to gain muscle. Strength training will help you keep the lean muscle mass you have by eating the proper amount of protein. This will help your body to recover on your rest days. Once, you have lost the weight you wish to lose. Then you can decide if you want to eat at a slight surplus to take your strength training to the next level. At that point you will have to gain weight again as you continue lifting to gain muscle. Message @3bambi3 @Fujiberry @arditarose just to name a few and they can give you more specifics from a woman's point of view and experience.

Good Luck!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

What device would you recommend? I was thinking about getting the new Fitbit because i think it can give me a better idea of how many calories I'm really but omg throughout the day and then see how many I should be eating that day. You know what I mean?

The problem with fitness trackers is that they aren't accurate. The calories burned are the result of an equation that the tracker uses. For some people it could be pretty close, but for others is could be really high or really low. You're better off tracking about half of your exercise calories on here, eating what MFP tells you to, and keeping a running log of what your weight actually does. That can better provide your true calorie needs, better than any online calculator or fitness tracker.
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    DesertGunR wrote: »
    Eating at deficit will not allow you to gain muscle. Strength training will help you keep the lean muscle mass you have by eating the proper amount of protein. This will help your body to recover on your rest days. Once, you have lost the weight you wish to lose. Then you can decide if you want to eat at a slight surplus to take your strength training to the next level. At that point you will have to gain weight again as you continue lifting to gain muscle. Message @3bambi3 @Fujiberry @arditarose just to name a few and they can give you more specifics from a woman's point of view and experience.

Good Luck!
    Thanks for the shoutout! (I need to check the desktop version of MFP more often haha). OP, if you need any help, feel free to message me. :)