scale addiction.

Options
I recently started my weight loss journey, I've been overweight since childhood and after a having a son and set of twins I'm serious about it now my problem is the scale,I've tried hiding it only to take it out I've even thrown it away only to buy another one a few days later how can I rid myself of the scale?? I weigh myself every day multiple times a day it's so frustrating! Especially when the numbers don't go down anyone else had/have this problem?

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    -____- All the time. I know you're really only supposed to weigh once a week, at the same time of day, in the same conditions - but I still weigh myself multiple times a day at home, and I commit the cardinal sin of weighing at work too - which means I'm comparing results on two different scales with two vastly different numbers. I've worked myself into this trap before and ended up getting discouraged enough to quit.

I don't have any advice other than to try and do it somewhere public, where you might feel embarrassed enough to limit your visits. This worked for me for a little while when our old scale had gotten burried in a bathroom remodel and I had to use the scale in the middle of an open floor in a gym (surrounded by frequently-visited machines).

I'd love to hear some other ideas too.
  • Jonestiarra2013
    Jonestiarra2013 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    -____- All the time. I know you're really only supposed to weigh once a week, at the same time of day, in the same conditions - but I still weigh myself multiple times a day at home, and I commit the cardinal sin of weighing at work too - which means I'm comparing results on two different scales with two vastly different numbers. I've worked myself into this trap before and ended up getting discouraged enough to quit.

I don't have any advice other than to try and do it somewhere public, where you might feel embarrassed enough to limit your visits. This worked for me for a little while when our old scale had gotten burried in a bathroom remodel and I had to use the scale in the middle of an open floor in a gym (surrounded by frequently-visited machines).

I'd love to hear some other ideas too.

I moved this topic under general diet and weight loss help cuz no one was reply to it here there are a lot of people who commented to give us both ideas just go under the general diet and weight loss blog and you'll it like 6 topics down
  • renesharenae
    renesharenae Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Add me so we can support each other...I'm also a mom of 3, with twin boys.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    You're not alone because this is very common. I look at it this way: what if we had the capability to weigh our brains. Just our brains. Then we based our self-worth on that number never paying attention to all the wonderful things the brain can do and teach us. Logical? Not really.

Same with a car. It's like basing the purchasing decision solely on color. Nothing else. Doesn't matter if it has enough seats to fit your family or gets good gas mileage, etc. Logical? No.

So judging ourselves purely on the physical weight of our body isn't logical either. Yes, it is a tool to use. But it is one of MANY.
  • yasminbower1991
    yasminbower1991 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am a mum of one, have lost just over 4stone, (57lbs) and weigh myself at least once a day. I know i sgouldnt but.. i cant help it! It can effect my mood for the whole day x add me xx
  • Jonestiarra2013
    Jonestiarra2013 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am a mum of one, have lost just over 4stone, (57lbs) and weigh myself at least once a day. I know i sgouldnt but.. i cant help it! It can effect my mood for the whole day x add me xx
    Thats awesome how long did it take you to lose that weight @yasminbower1991 ?
  • dizzzigrl
    dizzzigrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My best advice? Stay off the scale! I did the same thing when I committed to changing my life - weighed myself morning noon and night! All it did was discourage me. I haven't weighed myself since October and will never step on the scale again! As long as you are exercising, feeling better and wearing smaller clothes, the number doesnt matter!
    Good luck on your journey! It's tough, but if I can do it anyone can!
  • lastspen
    lastspen Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I generally weigh every day but when I don't, I put my scale under the bathroom sink. I don't think that it's detrimental to weight loss unless you get discouraged and then go on a binge. You might find more satisfaction in taking your measurements because there are so many things that can affect the number on the scale but the hips don't lie!
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I think if you're going to do it then learn to understand how your body fluctuates and don't freak out over a pound or two.

If you truly eat at a calorie deficit then you will lose and might start being excited for the daily visit to the scale.
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    The scale should just be a tool to allow you to see a weight loss trend. If weight is going up you adjust your habits. If it goes down you do nothing. You should pay attention more to inches lost and how you look and feel. Everyone's body composition is different too and we carry weight differently. If you see weight going down consistently for a few weeks then make it a goal to not check your weight again for a month. Don't get obsessed with numbers. Getting healthy should not be so vain. You need to really do this for health. Don't see weight and being thin as beauty or it is going to mess with your head. Also, checking your weight throughout the day is not good because our weight changes due to food, drink, exercise etc. If you are going to weigh, do it first thing in the morning.
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, buy a tape measure, specifically a digital tape measure (at Wal-Mart in the scale aisle for about $15 or so). Taking your various body measurements over time will keep you busy, motivated, and determined while offering you a complementary perspective as to how and where your body (and your overall health) is changing over time.
  • yasminbower1991
    yasminbower1991 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    @Jonestiarra2013 it took a while, nearly two years, some times i stayes the same weight for months on end x
  • foolsacademy
    foolsacademy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    dizzzigrl wrote: »
    My best advice? Stay off the scale! I did the same thing when I committed to changing my life - weighed myself morning noon and night! All it did was discourage me. I haven't weighed myself since October and will never step on the scale again! As long as you are exercising, feeling better and wearing smaller clothes, the number doesnt matter!
    Good luck on your journey! It's tough, but if I can do it anyone can!

I agree. I hate the scale. I went from 285 to 215 doing P90x, eating better and other exercise. But I would weigh myself in the morning and weigh 240 and then an hour later weigh 243 after I worked out for an hour. Then the next day I would weight 238 and then a few hours later I was 245. It sucked! Now I weight myself every week or so.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to have a list of metrics you can track, so that you don't just go by the scale number in determining if you've been "successful" or not. These things could be pretty much any goal other than scale number. For instance, if you start exercising, make your goal to add weight, or add time to runs. You can use a tape measure on body parts and track inches lost. You can write down every day how you feel - usually you will feel better; and write down how you feel when you don't stick to your goals - usually not very good.

I used to be addicted to the scale too. Now I weigh myself once per day for tracking purposes only. I only put my weight into MFP once a week. I don't sweat the daily changes because I KNOW I'm sticking to my eating plan, exercising, and staying under my calories. I'm doing everything I can do, so I can now look at the scale for what it is: a simple, non-linear progress metric.

I also suggest you start doing some positive thinking. Try to write down at least five things every day that you did to get you closer to your goal, or really anything you feel that you did well. That way, if you're having a day where the scale moves up instead of down, you can look at your accomplishments, and know that you're working at it and that you've really come a long way!

Good luck!
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Sigh...this is me. I'm probably going to just put it in the closet and only take it down to weigh once a week or two.
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    This is me too, but discovered the app Happy Scales.....I weigh in every day and since using this app, I don't stress it as much
  • Gizmo20783
    Gizmo20783 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Weighing yourself daily has ZERO impact on your weight. That said depending on your expectations the scale can either increase and decrease your motivation. I'm in the same boat with the scale. I've hidden it several times but just couldn't resist. Now I weight myself whenever I want and simply keep my expectations realistic. Sometimes it goes up sometimes it goes down and that's the way everyone's journey is. If you are putting in the work the scale can't tell you squat.
  • TayFit07
    TayFit07 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    You're going to weigh something different every day depending on the different levels in your body, so weighing yourself often is not really a good thing to do. Once a month, sure but every day, no
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself at least once per day, but mostly just out of curiosity. I only take what it says seriously on Sundays, as that's the day I've chosen for my official weigh-ins.
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    MEASURE MEASURE AND MEASURE!!! Sometimes the scales are not enough to know your losing