Gaining/losing same lbs over and over

Options
Hey MFP peeps. Here's the deal. I'm 5'6", and I weigh 150lb. I'd like to be at 140, which is where I was consistantly from high school until just about a year ago (I'm 24). In the last year, 10lbs have crept up. Anyway, each week I toy with the SAME 3lbs!!! I'll go from 147-153, and all numbers in between. It's making me crazy. I don't think it's true loss or gain, so how can I see some real results?? I follow the calorie guidelines, and exercise at least 40 minutes a day. Anyone else have this problem??

Replies

• warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    lol I have been in the 140-145 range for a couple of months. My waist has definitely shrunk though. It really gets extremely tough to lose the last 10 lbs or so. I never did cardio before, so I have started incorporating calisthenics in my routine. The leaner you are the tougher it will be.
    Watch your cheat days closely (if you have any) and try to stay under 1000 calories over your daily intake.
  • mbnharrison
    mbnharrison Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with the same thing - I keep on changing my caloric intake thinking that is the issue...am I eating too much? Am I eating too little? I'm caught going between the 3lbs and it's driving me crazy. People have recommended that I invest in a heart rate monitor so that I really understand how many calories I require daily but I'm pretty fed up and discouraged :(
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary by the way so can't see how your diet is.
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    YES!!!! Playing with the last 5-8 lbs for me...up, and down, and up and down....cant seem to get past the 20 lb loss mark, and move on from there.....
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    glad to know I am not the only one!
  • cmo1987
    cmo1987 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem- the scale last week said I lost 3 this week said I gained it back. I am still exercising everyday. I know I had a bad weekend, but to gain everything back? that doesn't make sense. I know I was retaining a lot of water so perhaps today will be better. I started at about 182 and now Im 175-173 I can't get under 170 for anything. I eat 1200 calories a day and work out at least 30 minutes everyday. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    It is soooooo frustrating!!!! Maybe it's my cheat days. I usually don't log on Saturdays, and "splurge" on something I've wanted all week. BUT I work out extra to compensate...so I can't imagine a couple of treats are the culprit.... Hmmmm.
  • morefitmom
    morefitmom Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I am with you! I am only 6-8 lbs away from my goal and I have been gaining and losing the same 3 lbs week after week. Ate more, ate less, did more cardio, did less, but still the same....This has been for about a month now.
  • laydeedancer
    Options
    I am so glad that you posted this! I am seriously struggling with this right now and it's making me crazy. I have lowered my calorie range and upped the amount of exercise I'm doing. I'm drinking water like mad and feel like I'm losing (clothes are fitting better). I just dont see it in the scale.

I feel better knowing I'm not the only one. :)
  • tproctor
    tproctor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Glad I am not the only one! Considering the quick add/loss of a pound or two, could it be water weight? Perhaps associated with sodium intake? Just a thought.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Losing that last few pounds can be extremely difficult. At that point, you really need to watch what you eat and drink. I know this because I am at that point as well. Make your profile public so we can see your food journal or it may be hard to help. It make also be, you need to change up your diet/exercise routine. What is your routine? Do you do a fitness program or go to the gym. Do you lift weights and cardio,etc...? Keep in mind, it takes 30 days for your body to adjust to a routine. If you don't change it, your body will have a hard time changing. Also, it might be you are getting the wrong types of food (too many carbs, not enough protein or healthy fats, etc). From my personal experience, I just finished 12 weeks of chalean extreme. My body fat decreased 3% (was 15%, now is 12%), lost 6" but only lost 5lbs because I don't have much more. At this point, it's more about body compesition than weight.
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    I am told that its harder to lose weight when you are already in the healthy range or only have a small amount to lose so that may be part of your problem a few things I have tried are yo yo calories where you eat a varying different amounts of cals each day for a week i.e. 1200 then 1900 then 1400 then 1200 then 1800 and so on. mix up your exercise when your body gets used to doing something its no longer exercise but normal routine. I still have 50lb to lose and I have been stuck losing and putting pack on the same 3lb for the last 6 weeks it is disheartening and yes sometimes those few extra treats can undo all your hard work it shouldn't especially when you workout to earn them but I know from experience that it does happen so be careful with that I hope you stick with it as the scale has to start moving down at some point or at least thats what I keep telling myself x
  • shayshay01
    shayshay01 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    LOG your cheat days!.... Everyone is entitled to a consciencious one, but if you don't log then you don't know how many cals. your cheating with. For all you know you could be eating triple your normal calories... which could and would definately lead to a 3 lb. weight gain. I have learned this the hard way! ;-) Cheat- but cheat moderately. Good luck! :-)
  • SenoraMacias
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! For those wanting to know my workout routine- I am doing the 30 day shred right now. I am on day 8 of level 2. I also walk/jog with my dog for 15-30 minutes a day.

I will start logging my cheat days- or maybe cut them out altogether for a couple weeks and see what happens...
  • prplrose33
    prplrose33 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I was the same way for awhile. I started doing different exercises and that seemed to help. Now I'm stuck at my current weight...guess its time to find some other exercise to get me past this plateau.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    It is soooooo frustrating!!!! Maybe it's my cheat days. I usually don't log on Saturdays, and "splurge" on something I've wanted all week. BUT I work out extra to compensate...so I can't imagine a couple of treats are the culprit.... Hmmmm.

Uh, yes, it's definitely your cheat days. This isn't rocket science. Most people overestimate the amount they burn and underestimate the amount they consume.
  • PecanTanDiva
    PecanTanDiva Posts: 162
    Options
    I too am having the same problem, but I've noticed that my arms, thighs, and waistline are getting smaller. Sometimes you lose inches off of certain parts of your body without shedding the pounds. Aslo sometimes your sodium intake can also be the problem.
  • SenoraMacias
    Options

Uh, yes, it's definitely your cheat days. This isn't rocket science. Most people overestimate the amount they burn and underestimate the amount they consume.

Will watch cheat days more carefully. PS- sarcasm not necessary.
  • linneyo
    linneyo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    omg.. that is exactly where i am.. (i feel like i'm gaining and losing the same 2-3 lbs). I have made small goals.. for instance.. (jot every single thing down).. which i am planning to really track daily (although my weekends tend to hurt me) .. :(

what i'm doing now is really focusing on a low carb high protein diet and switching my workout to more weights and less cardio. I've read many articles on that.. how we need to hit the weigths because (muscle eats fat!) sooooo that is where I am .. and i'll let you know if this works. (i just started this this week!)
  • SenoraMacias
    Options
    I'm trying to watch sodium and sugar more closely- two things I've never really paid attention to. I cut back on sodium yesterday and added more water and was down 2lb this morning. I'm sure it's just water, but I'll take it!