Help! Running ruins me

Options
So, I've been on a fitness journey since January. It's now been 6 months, and I can't run for more than 2-3 minutes without feeling absolutely exhausted and out of breath, with a sharp pain in my side. I work out other areas and to get my cardio I always end up walking at 4 mph on an incline, which is alright, but by now I would like to be able to run. My muscles aren't the problem, it's my shortness of breath and the god-awful sharp pain in my side. I'm a non-smoker, and I've lost 32 pounds thus far. I'm no longer overweight and I eat a nutritious, balanced diet. I don't know why I am unable to run, does anybody have any idea?

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    you may have exercise induced asthma... talk to your doctor so you can be checked for this, or any other medical problem that might be going on.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to run too fast at once? I had to do a walk-jog until I felt like I had enough stamina to transition into a jog and then a faster run. The sharp pain could be from eating food beforehand. I have to wait at least 30 minutes after eating before attempting to run.
  • celseykonner
    celseykonner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    TiaBia9 wrote: »
    Are you trying to run too fast at once? I had to do a walk-jog until I felt like I had enough stamina to transition into a jog and then a faster run. The sharp pain could be from eating food beforehand. I have to wait at least 30 minutes after eating before attempting to run.
    I always wait at least an hour or two after eating to go to the gym, and I do the walk-run alternating. This is why I'm confused
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    power walk instead
  • kansasgrl1500
    kansasgrl1500 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The pain in your side could be a side stitch, which typically indicates that you are going to quickly for your level of fitness. I would encourage you to slow down. Even if your running spurts are at the same pace (or even slower) than your walking spurts. You might also want to try the running outside rather than on a treadmill. When I was getting started, I always found it easier to try and get to the next mailbox or intersection, etc., than dealing with the clock in front of me.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem when I started running. I did couch to 5 k and it took me a while to find my breath to step ratio. I'm not really sure what i did to fix it but with time I have found a rhythm. I still occasionally so get very puffed out (it happened in circuit training a few weeks ago and it panicked me a little) and I do still need to take one big breath every once in a while when I'm running - but in general it seems to of sorted itself out.

I think, because I did couch to 5k. There were those wonderful walking intervals where I could catch my breath. Perhaps that would help you?
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Your side stitch is probably a diaphragm spasm.
    1. slow down
    2. count your breaths with each step. Try every time you right foot strikes but find what works for you to develop rhythmic breathing.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Slow down. Follow a C25K program and go as slow as needed to not feel horrible. If you're on a treadmill, start running at 4 mph. Yes, the same speed you can walk at. Work on that, and then gradually increase your speed as you follow the C25K program. I started running 3 years ago with an 8 week C25K program. I started running at 4 mph and it took me 13 weeks to complete the 8 week program. At the end, I was running for 30 minutes straight, but couldn't complete a 5K in that time.

My first full 5K was a few weeks later and took me 46 minutes. I quickly increased my time. I'll never be "fast" but I'm certainly way faster than I was. My fastest 5K race to date was 31 minutes. I'd like to get under the 30 minute mark, but anything faster than that isn't likely in the cards for me. I've completed 3 half marathons and will complete my 4th this fall. I hope to be under the 2:30 mark for that one.

If I can run, I promise you, anyone can...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Slow down and then slow down some more.......it sounds counter intuitive but most of your running, especially while building your base, should be at a pace at which you can speak in complete sentences. If you're gasping for breath you're going too fast (unless you're intentionally doing speed work like intervals, hills etc)
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Slow down and then slow down some more.......it sounds counter intuitive but most of your running, especially while building your base, should be at a pace at which you can speak in complete sentences. If you're gasping for breath you're going too fast (unless you're intentionally doing speed work like intervals, hills etc)

Cosigned.
    You're running too fast.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I don't know why I am unable to run, does anybody have any idea?

As above, what speed are you trying to run at?
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Agree completely with above - slow down. When I started I could walk quicker than I could run, it took time to build cardio fitness as well as my body adapting to the impact of running. Follow a programme like C25k, it helps your build up slowly. As for how slow you should go, for all bar the last interval you should be able to talk at least in short sentences. If you can't then you're running too fast. C25k gets you to run for 30mins non-stop (for me the 5k in 30mins took a few months more. I started it at 300lbs 26months ago, in April I ran my first marathon and my first ultra marathon - c25k works!
  • Wendy1Fl
    Wendy1Fl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I know it seems counterintuitive, but when you're first starting out running, the slower the better. I used to get side stitches often when I started running with my friend who had been running for a year (I was completely sedentary). The days I would go out on my own, I ran much slower than she and the side stitches didn't bother me. While you're building your aerobic base, if you go slow enough that you could walk that pace, you'll actually be doing your body a big favor. It used to embarrass me how slow I ran, but it felt so much better than when I was trying to keep up with my friend. You won't stay at that slow pace long. Your body will super-compensate as it adapts to the new challenges running brings, and gradually, your pace will naturally increase. Just give yourself patience and time to be slow at first, and absolutely alternate walking with jogging until it feels comfortable to increase the jogging distance as you decrease your walking distance. Just don't give up! Getting through the tough part at first is really hard, I know, but once you've built your endurance running is such great therapy! I feel tons better throughout my day if I start it with a run - my energy level has never been so good.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep, running too fast
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    As already said, slow down. You're running too fast for your ability. Look up a program like C25K to see ways to build endurance running. You'll build your walk/run ratio to run longer and with fewer walk breaks.
  • ihaveeverythingineed
    ihaveeverythingineed Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Cardio is like training any other muscle in the body (heart) it takes training and practice to get to a certain point. I don't know if you are doing cardio first thing during your workout, but try walking for even 20 minutes to warm your muscles up, and then try C25K like someone else suggested. Asking your doctor also wouldn't hurt. Just don't give up!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Try slowing down. Jog don't run. If that doesn't help gp to the doctor.
  • bluethethreeleggeddog
    Options
    Wendy1Fl wrote: »
    I know it seems counterintuitive, but when you're first starting out running, the slower the better. I used to get side stitches often when I started running with my friend who had been running for a year (I was completely sedentary). The days I would go out on my own, I ran much slower than she and the side stitches didn't bother me. While you're building your aerobic base, if you go slow enough that you could walk that pace, you'll actually be doing your body a big favor. It used to embarrass me how slow I ran, but it felt so much better than when I was trying to keep up with my friend. You won't stay at that slow pace long. Your body will super-compensate as it adapts to the new challenges running brings, and gradually, your pace will naturally increase. Just give yourself patience and time to be slow at first, and absolutely alternate walking with jogging until it feels comfortable to increase the jogging distance as you decrease your walking distance. Just don't give up! Getting through the tough part at first is really hard, I know, but once you've built your endurance running is such great therapy! I feel tons better throughout my day if I start it with a run - my energy level has never been so good.

Hey, thanks for all that. I had my first run yesterday afternoon, and while I know I was very slow, I was quite proud that I managed to run the entire return leg of my route. The first half I did walk/run. And today - no pain, and feeling energised. I aim to get out again today after work :smiley:
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    running isn't the best exercise anyway.
  • Kelven2330
    Kelven2330 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love running, it hates me.