I watched Fat, Sick and Nearly dead

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you need a cleanse, you also need an MD cause your liver and kidneys aren't working. If they are working, you do not need a cleanse.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I know it sounds like people are trying to derail your first day. If you are set on supplementing one meal a day, can I recommend a protein shake instead? It will keep you full longer and provide you with enormous benefits of protein. Not sure what you are putting in the juice but it's probably high calorie/high sugar and will just spike your insulin levels (and you will still be hungry)
    I agree with what everyone said about just eat at a modest calorie deficit/hitting macros. I know you will not agree to this since your mind is made up but if I were going to supplement a meal, it would be a protein shake

What kind of protein?
    My sugar intake for the day is kind of high, but I just started, I've only used an apple and lemon as a sweetener....

Thanks for your response:)

I drink Gold Standard Whey protein. I drink it in addition to my meals to get my protein in so one scoop is 120 calories and 24 grams of protein. Sometimes I use milk, sometimes water(yuk) if I have gone over my calories. That is a very low calorie meal and will allow you to have a little something yummy along with it!!
    If it is truly a meal replacement, you could opt for a higher calorie protein shake. Good luck!!

edited to add, I lost 45 lbs eating everything I like, just smaller portions.(calorie counting) It is the only thing that ever worked for me.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    d8106red wrote: »
    is the movie worth the watch? I too am here yet again... having gained 50 pounds back in 5 months after having just lost 100, ugh...

It's a good watch IF you can watch it objectively and not believe everything they say with a blind eye. If you can watch it objectively, you will be able to nitpick the hell out of it and then you will realize that it is mostly a load of BS. It's a just a mockumentary meant to scare the gullible.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    The first time I joined MFP (under a different name), I made the mistake of mentioning that I think genetics matter in terms of whether or not one is prone to obesity. I got slammed with two pages of simple "WRONG" responses (which I think is the rudest, most unconstructive reply one can possibly make) and "CICO, DUMBA**". I dumped the app right then and there.

I'm back with the app at the advisement of a degreed dietician and trainer, and I've learned a lesson about MFP. There are a lot of unsupportive jerks here, but for every jerk, there's about 10 people who legitimately want to offer you help in succeeding. They might come accross as brass and tough, but I think they're interested in supporting through a shared knowledge base and experience.

For me, I found "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" to be motivational. I didn't mimic its methods, and I didn't agree with it 100%, but it sure made me want to get up and move. If that's all it does, then it's a decent tool. And if you want to try juicing, then go for it! Any program is better than no program, and maybe it'll work for you.
  • heathermclellen956
    heathermclellen956 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to tell you not to juice. If you like it, then go for it. But there's no need to consume ONLY juice for a month. Make sure you're getting enough protein and that you eat some pulp, as that's where the fiber is. I have some friends that just recently tried what you plan to do, and it was difficult for them. Because they consumed nothing but juice for a week, they had no energy and headaches. One of them plays a lot of sports and thought he was having a heart attack during a game. The doctor said his blood sugar was out of whack with all the juice and he'd not consumed enough calories to sustain his activity level. I love juice, but I'd never restrict myself to that alone for more than a day and then eat normally again. If you're interested in fasting, consider checking out the 5:2 groups here. I think you'll find more support for this type of fast. Good luck. :)

Thanks! I realize 30 days is a possibly unattainable goal, but at very least, I would like to see what two weeks does.

Im not a fitness genius.
    I'm not even doing this for the weight loss.
    I'm using it to transitioning tool.
    It's not something I'm trying to rely on. It's not something I plan on living on forever.
    I know that a deficit is what causes weight loss. I know how to track my calories and my macros and micros.

I did plenty of research after watching fs&nd to know the risks and the benefits.
    I have spoken with my doctor.

For everyone posting supportive articles for me to read, thank you.

For everyone else.... Thanks too.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in juicing, cleansing, etc . I understand though that it might be more of a mental thing for people. To get in the frame of mind that helps them choose healthier foods, or eat less or ? I think that overall the reason why people are putting it out there in a no-nonsense way is for you to understand it's not something you want to do long-term to attain "better health" and that often people fall back to old habits/ways of eating and then ask why they have gained all their weight back.

• heathermclellen956
    Options
    The first time I joined MFP (under a different name), I made the mistake of mentioning that I think genetics matter in terms of whether or not one is prone to obesity. I got slammed with two pages of simple "WRONG" responses (which I think is the rudest, most unconstructive reply one can possibly make) and "CICO, DUMBA**". I dumped the app right then and there.

I'm back with the app at the advisement of a degreed dietician and trainer, and I've learned a lesson about MFP. There are a lot of unsupportive jerks here, but for every jerk, there's about 10 people who legitimately want to offer you help in succeeding. They might come accross as brass and tough, but I think they're interested in supporting through a shared knowledge base and experience.

For me, I found "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" to be motivational. I didn't mimic its methods, and I didn't agree with it 100%, but it sure made me want to get up and move. If that's all it does, then it's a decent tool. And if you want to try juicing, then go for it! Any program is better than no program, and maybe it'll work for you.

THANK YOU.
  • zezelryck
    zezelryck Posts: 251 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I haven't read all of the comments above but I can say I also watched that movie some years back and thought I would give it a go. I lasted one week and hated every minute of it. Juicing very quickly becomes a real pain and to me at least, it tasted like I was drinking swamp water and was constantly hungry. Sorry to sound negative about it but I found it a horrible experience.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    it'd be easier to start working on building healthier habits for your long-term diet now, rather then try something crazy for a month and then try to dial it down to a decent diet after that.

but you know, you have all the answers, so go for it.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    That movie is still one of the best infomercials I have ever seen, most people don't think they are selling you something...GENIUS!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    That movie is still one of the best infomercials I have ever seen, most people don't think they are selling you something...GENIUS!

They should show it in marketing classes. It's golden, and the dude makes tons of money off of it now.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

They should show it in marketing classes. It's golden, and the dude makes tons of money off of it now.

Exhibit A: OP here, insisting she knows what she's doing, and has no idea how duped she's been.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »
    Why don't you eat what you like while maintaining a moderate calorie deficit and meeting macro and fiber goals? Cleanses are BS and a waste of time and money.

Hit the nail on the head right there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with juicing...but 30 days of only juicing is a bit over the top. there is more to proper nutrition than just fruits and veg...fat and protein are pretty friggin' important.

juicing is an efficient way to supplement your fruit and veg intake...and I could see how going on a bit of a fast might be a positive psychologically...but 30 days is not healthy IMO. you'll be missing out on tons of nutrients.

• heathermclellen956
    Options

Exhibit A: OP here, insisting she knows what she's doing, and has no idea how duped she's been.

It's really not all about the movie, but countless other people who have done the same thing with great results. (Not always meaning weight loss)
    Maybe I was "duped" into buying a really nice juicer, but not at all costs... I'm consuming more fruits and veggies now than I was in the past.
    And to me, that's a step in the right direction.

:)
  • heathermclellen956
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Your first post specifically said "juice fast". That is absolutely going to set off alarm bells for folks. You already said your sugar intake is on the high side, and emphasizing juices with a high proportion of fruit juice has the potential for tipping your physiology into even more risky territory.

You can find "supportive communities" all over the internet for overtly dangerous eating behaviors, which is another reason you are seeing some strong responses here. Some of the vehemence you are seeing is because people are actually feeling protective of you. Take a moment to consider that.

If you want a community that will never question you, prod you, or ask you to examine claims and evidence, then MFP is not going to be a comfortable spot for you.

While there are knee-jerk types here, and on any message boards, who will jump in with misinformation or needless criticism, you learn to filter that stuff out and ignore it while attending to those who are expressing reasonable and thoughtful concern. That's one of the reasons this site is for adults and not adolescents.

I get that "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" is inspiring. I enjoyed watching it too - I was in tears over the truck driver who reached out for help, and was so moved by his eventual victory...as well as being so damned sad to hear he'd gained it all back.

I also know that long-term success after using the strategies recommended is pretty low. I'm genuinely glad you are motivated to do something! I think part of the reaction here (including my own response) is after seeing so many people try relatively extreme solutions and ultimately failing again, thus making future changes even more difficult because of hopelessness.

For me, the only "transitioning tool" that has really worked has been education about nutrition and exercise combined with learning about my own eating patterns, topped off with a big dose of motivation by reading about long-term success stories. Good luck to you - I really do hope this works for you, but I also hope you stick around here and start exploring other possibilities either for now or in future.

I absolutely will be, thank you.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I watched this movie, and did the juicing / smoothie thing for a short while. I love the taste of fresh juice and green smoothies...but it got REALLY expensive after a while. Not sure how long I did it, but I couldn't do it for very long.

I say do it while you feel like it and can afford it, but don't consider yourself a failure if you go back to normal eating routines.

Just be sure to watch your caloric intake.
  • heathermclellen956
    Options
    I appreciate the responses, negative ones included. Thank you all for having my back... Or not. :)
    Have a lovely day!