ANYONE WITH THE SAME LUCK AS ME?

Options
2»

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I will try that- however, I am always a bit confused wen it comes to low calorie and low carb. What are the difference? What are the purpose for those? The thing is that I am gluten intolerant and get extremely bloated wen I eat something with wheat so I tend to watch out on that as well

Don't worry about carbs. Only worry about calories, and meet your protein...(and other macros) for health/satiety purposes. I ignore carbs, fat, and sugars...I've lost nearly 45 lbs since the end of Jan. of this year.

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I will try that- however, I am always a bit confused wen it comes to low calorie and low carb. What are the difference? What are the purpose for those? The thing is that I am gluten intolerant and get extremely bloated wen I eat something with wheat so I tend to watch out on that as well

Don't worry about low carb. Just stick you under your calorie goal. if you are gluten intolerant, then avoid gluten, but aside from that, focus on being accurate with your food intake and staying at a calorie deficit.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Things will change slowly over time; while I didn't see any mention of time in your post, I'm sure that you've been consistent for a month or so?

Can you shed some light on where your 1600-cal figure came from? (is this the MFP calculation? What variables did you use: like a sedentary lifestyle or ?)

I see a lot of people that dive-into all this by changing their eating patterns, and hopping into exercises and everything all at once, and then seem to forget that they will tend to store water when first adding exercise (and even when increasing resistances along the way), and how that water is weight that'll show on the scale (hiding any body loss with water retention_ and stuff like that. Granted, this is a kinda short-term thing for most people (only a few weeks), but quite often, it'll seem that nothing is happening with the scale, when your body is changing, just in ways that won't immediately show on a scale.

To avoid this very thing, I didn't change my lifestyle (no new exercises or activities), until I saw some progress from my modified eating. Only after dropping about 10% of my body-weight did I begin any type of additional effort (and then, mostly focused at preservation of muscle and endurance). This way I didn't swell-up with water weight to hide my progress from the scales -- This may not work for everybody, but this slow a steady, consistent and stepped approach has been doing OK for me so far.

Specifics are helpful, but really, just be patient. If your actual caloric intake is below your actual caloric needs, then weight will come off. I know that I didn't get fat in a month (I perfected it over YEARS), so allow yourself some time to see progress.

There's a really good read about how your body loses weight in this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
    ... of course, accurate values in your logs will be key (as many folks have already , and will continue to post)

It'll happen for ya...

• agreenid
    agreenid Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I absolutely cannot eat gluten and there is plenty out there for me to eat so there's hope!

The tipping point for me was buying a food scale. $25 at Target and it was the best choice I could have made. Even when you see serving sizes on the side of pre packaged meals "22 crisps" or "about 8" those are usually wrong and can add up throughout the day/week. Start weighing your food and log everything as accurate as you can. Don't go straight for the "diet foods" as I've found them to be less helpful than just eating basic food (veggies and proteins and complex carbs).

• brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I will try that- however, I am always a bit confused wen it comes to low calorie and low carb. What are the difference? What are the purpose for those?

Calories are a unit of energy. Your body uses energy to function. The amount of energy used to maintain basic body function (keeping you alive if you are in a coma) is called your basal metabolic rate (BMR). You should not eat less than this. You also burn energy doing normal stuff (walking around, talking to people, typing these messages), this could be called your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). The basic tenet of MFP is that if you eat less calories than you burn in a day (TDEE), you lose weight. Based on the information you enter when you set up your account, MFP estimates what your TDEE is and sets a target that is a deficit of that number. MFP does not count exercise when it gives you this target so if you exercise it will give you more calories to fuel the added activity. (Note: machines at the gym and MFP database often have high estimates of calories burned so many people eat only a portion of exercise calories back, but you should generally eat at least some.) This is the important part.

Carbohydrates are a source of energy/calories, as are protein and fat. These three sources are generally referred to as macros. Some people believe that the balance of your macros matters in whether/how you lose weight. You can be low carb, but still eating lots of calories from protein and fat and be gaining weight. Like I said, calories are the important part. Paying attention to macros is more important if you're trying to do body recomposition or something like that, but better to focus on calories for now.

Hope this helps. You may also consider trying to find some groups for diabetics and those with gluten intolerance to get advice on those particular issues. Do what others have said and weigh and measure your food with actual measuring implements (food scale, measuring cups/spoons for liquids). Also, read some of the announcement posts in getting started forum regarding calorie counting 101 and guide to sexypants.
  • GeekdGirl
    GeekdGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Eat natural foods (fruits, veggies, etc.), drink water, log your food, exercise. There's no rocket science, just hard work. There are formulas you can follow, and you can weigh your food, but it's not 100% necessary (I don't and I lose). If you are looking to lose a lot by a specific date, see a nutritionist or a doctor as you won't get help from the forums for unhealthy weight-loss :) Good luck love!
  • mairarodriguez38
    mairarodriguez38 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

Don't worry about carbs. Only worry about calories, and meet your protein...(and other macros) for health/satiety purposes. I ignore carbs, fat, and sugars...I've lost nearly 45 lbs since the end of Jan. of this year.

You need to help me!!!
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    If you are diabetic, the best thing you could do is get a referral from your doctor to see a registered dietician because you most likely do need to pay attention to carbs as well as calories. Since it sounds like you're pretty much at the beginning of your learning, that's a good way to learn stuff that you need to know while trying to lose weight as a diabetic.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

Hi! I am also a diabetic (type 1).

Calories is a unit of energy. When we're trying to lose weight, our goal is to burn more calories than we consume (a deficit), while when we're trying to gain weight, our goal is to burn fewer calories than we consume (a surplus). Don't fall for the belief that if you eat 1200 calories that you need to go onto the treadmill and burn 1200 calories. We burn a ton of calories simply living -our basal metabolic rate (BMR) is how many calories our body burns when we are comatose, but exercising burns extra calories ontop of our BMR.

Carbohydrates is a macronutrient. Macronutrients (protein, carbs, fat, and alcohol) provide calories. Some people find that reducing their carbohydrate intake (low carb) helps them to create the deficit they need to lose weight, while other people find that having a balance of all the macronutrients and logging everything into a food diary like MFP helps them create a deficit. Ultimately, as long as you are in a deficit, you will eventually lose weight (weight loss is not entirely linear); diet pills do absolutely nothing but slim your wallet.

First off, I really recommend getting a food scale. I am on insulin, and it has become a lifesaver in figuring out the best insulin dosage for what I am consuming and for making sure that I am not unintentionally consuming more calories (you would be surprised at how huge the margin of error for a tablespoon of peanut butter is). Second, because you said that you are having lows, have you been logging all hypo treatments into MFP? If you're having a ton of lows or have additional snacks because of the low, you might be unintentionally eating through any deficit you might have created. Weight loss tends to increase insulin sensitivity, so it's really important to be working with your diabetes team to adjust any medication dosages as you lose weight.
  • jennyct10
    jennyct10 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The first thing people think is that you are eating too much. How about figuring out what your calorie needs really are? It's obviously not the same for everyone, nor is any magic number the exact same for everyone. If only there was a truly accurate way to measure expenditure. I can't even find a place to get VO2 analysis (measures metabolism indirectly via oxygen consumption). Even an extra 50 calories a day will impede/put on weight easily.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Well- I use to baby bowl. and don't drink sodas or juice unless my blood sugar goes low ( I am diabetic). I am really good about my portion sizes and what I drink.

Using a baby bowl isn't accurate for serving sizes, unfortunately.

I often use my 6 year old's toddler plates and bowls... I can fit a heck of alot on those suckers.

lol..
    your profile picture is so cute :) How old is she now?
    I have a 17 1/2 month old.
    OP, no you need to weigh you food . You will for sure lose weight .
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

You need to help me!!!

I weigh my food. I stick to around 1350-1450 calories per day. I exercised so I could eat more or to "recoup" from a day of eating too much. I did pay attention to getting enough protein, fat, fiber, iron, and calcium.

I haven't been logging much this past month as I'm recovering from being sick...haven't exercised either. Haven't had much appetite so that's why I lost weight this month...but really...the other 39 lbs came off just from watching my calories and being sure I weighed my food and had accurate nutrition info.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    I did miss that you are diabetic so you may have to pay more strict attention to carb and sugar intake than I do.