Gastric sleeve patient- new life

Options
dalysm86
dalysm86 Posts: 29 Member
hello all, i am new her in fitnesspal and so far i enjoy logging my food intake and exercise. I had a gastric sleeve surgery on may 1st and im super excited and happy with my new life style... Add me and we can all help each other reach our goals by supporting and motivating each other. And if anyone else has done any bariatric surgery i would like to get know so we can share recipes and tips on our journey. Have a great day everyone.

Replies

• queenpimp
    queenpimp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am scheduled to have surgery in July. I am terrified. Any tips for a pre-op?
  • kreshm
    kreshm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What is gastric sleeve. why do you have to undergo surgery?
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    kreshm wrote: »

Cut your stomach down to the size of your thumb to lose weight.

• dalysm86
    Options
    queenpimp wrote: »
    I am scheduled to have surgery in July. I am terrified. Any tips for a pre-op?

Just drink lots of water, protein shakes and cut out carbs and sugar... So when you finally have the surgery u wont be suffering for not having them.. I made that mistake and boy im paying the consequences now.. Good luck with everything...
  • dalysm86
    Options
    kreshm wrote: »

Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Restrictive operations like gastric sleeve surgery make the stomach smaller and help people lose weight. With a smaller stomach, you will feel full a lot quicker than you are used to. This means that you will need to make big lifelong changes in how you eat—including smaller portion sizes and different foods—in order to lose weight.

This surgery can be done by making a large incision in the abdomen (an open procedure) or by making several small incisions and using small instruments and a camera to guide the surgery (laparoscopic approach). More than half of your stomach is removed, leaving a thin vertical sleeve, or tube, that is about the size of a banana. Surgical staples keep your new stomach closed. Because part of your stomach has been removed, this is not reversible.

Sometimes this surgery is part of a larger approach to weight loss done in several steps. If you need to lose a lot of weight before you have duodenal switch surgery camera.gif, gastric sleeve surgery may help you.
  • greyfoxx006
    greyfoxx006 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am going to undergo gastric sleeve surgery in the next couple of weeks, (just waiting on insurance approval), and need some friends who know what life after the surgery will be like and I can always use more people in my support circle.

Was also wondering how you edit your goals and daily goals for MFP for the post op lifestyle.

Much love,
    ~Grey
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I personally know someone who undergone that. She looks older than she actually is, she looks anorexic and she can't eat much or she'll puke.
  • greyfoxx006
    Options
    I personally know someone who undergone that. She looks older than she actually is, she looks anorexic and she can't eat much or she'll puke.

Well my mother and stepdad had thr gastric sleeve surgery and they both are doing great. Results are different for each person.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

Well my mother and stepdad had thr gastric sleeve surgery and they both are doing great. Results are different for each person.

I didn't realize they do surgery for someone looking to lose 64lbs. I guess I always thought it was 100's of lbs. Have you tried out MFP to see if you can drop the 64 on here first?

Not meant as snarky, just asking and the surgery may have changed over the years since I'd heard about it on here with ppl only being able to be covered 100+ lbs. :)
  • greyfoxx006
    Options

I didn't realize they do surgery for someone looking to lose 64lbs. I guess I always thought it was 100's of lbs. Have you tried out MFP to see if you can drop the 64 on here first?

Not meant as snarky, just asking and the surgery may have changed over the years since I'd heard about it on here with ppl only being able to be covered 100+ lbs. :)

I have not updated my weight and goals here. I am 100 lbs over weight now. I have used MFP and had been under a medically supervised diet and exercise routine and it didn't help. I didn't come to the decision lightly.
  • alv1000
    alv1000 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Me me! Sx date 12/23/14
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Search the groups. I know there are some for people who've done that, or are thinking about doing that.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/groups

As for what this surgery is / does...
    It's imposing external control on eating (or you'll get sick, or rupture your stomach),
    instead of learning internal control.

I'm still whole, can eat what I choose.
    51637601.png
  • jolo0982
    jolo0982 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I had gastric sleeve March 22 2016 .... I need some friends friends here, I dont really know how to use this sight but I'm so motivated!!!!

I just logged in today after more then a year ago and feel fantastic.... I was 272 for the longest time(2013) lost 20 lbs in 2 years, (crazy I know).... but since March 2 I have lost. 30 lbs.... really looking for motivated people that have had the surgery and are ready to finally live life.

My goal weight loss 150,
  • ejb499
    ejb499 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Not me personally but my wife had the sleeve surgery 2 months ago. It was rough at first. 2 weeks of liquid diet and she would have a very hard time getting enough protein and calories to not starve herself. She is doing much better now. She really limits the carbs to almost none. She is down 40 lbs in two months! It is not for everyone but I am very proud of her and it seems to have been a good choice for her personally
  • MeaganJo75
    MeaganJo75 Posts: 11 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I had a Roux En Y Gastric Bypass 7/19/10 and unfortunately fell into old habits and stopped using my tool so gained a bunch of weight back but now I am back on track. You are welcome to add me.

Just to add in a lot of people that are starting to look way older than they are aren't getting in their much needed vitamins and usually aren't eating nutrient rich foods, getting enough protein, drinking alcohol, smoking and or not getting enough water. All these factors can really work against you. Sadly out of my friends that have had the same surgery as I did I am the only one that either looks their age or younger. But I can tell you right now when I was drinking alcohol I was starting to look older, glad I quit.