The butt of fat jokes

Options
I found out yesterday that all my boyfriends friends joke about my weight gain when I'm not around. I feel ashamed and worthless. I want to lose 20 pounds in 2 months and show them I can be in shape. Help me o need support and I'm too embarrassed to tell any of my friends!

Replies

• liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Don't let those jerks bring you down!

Getting in shape is good, but those jerks will still be jerks when you're done, so don't do it for them.
    20lb in 2 months is a lot. Just aim for a healthy calorie deficit and get moving! It may not go as fast as you would like but as long as you keep at it you'll get there!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Lose weight and be healthy for yourself, not for your boyfriend's friends. How did you find out about them joking about your weight, anyway? Losing 20 pounds in 2 months would be difficult and, if you only have 28 pounds to lose in total, you likely are not heavy enough for it to be possible in a safe or healthy manner. In general, losing that much in that time frame is mostly easy/doable if you are much heavier to start with. Focus on eating at a moderate deficit (1 pound a week would be good to start) and if you want to work on your shape, add some exercise, specifically strength training.
  • tudoroaks4
    tudoroaks4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need some new friends.
  • daaaaaanielle
    daaaaaanielle Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    First of all, you said it's your boyfriend's friends. Has/does your boyfriend tell them that it's out of order when they say this stuff? Because if he doesn't, he should be saying so, and if he refuses to because they're his friends, you should strongly reconsider whether or not he's worthy of being your boyfriend. I'm not of the opinion that partners should always, always come before friends, but friends should respect their friend's partners, and people should respect their partners enough to not allow their "friends" to ridicule them.

Secondly, you don't need to lose weight to "show them" anything. They sound like nasty pieces of s*** to me and you're better than them. If you want to lose weight because you feel that you will be happier with the way you look and healthier, that's fine! But it is only your opinion that matters (other than your doctor's where your health is concerned of course)!

Thirdly, 20lbs in two months might be a bit quick and potentially difficult depending on the calorie deficit that requires. I aim for about 1lb a week and that means I get 1460 calories to eat a day (plus exercise calories). I used to try and hit 1200 calories and it was hard. I decided that sustainable was more important than instantaneous results so I bumped it up a bit and I've been much happier for it.

:)
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Did your boyfriend tell you this? If so, that was mean and uncalled for. What his friends say about you is none of your business; I truly believe that. What did it do but make you feel terrible?

20 pounds in 2 months is a big goal and not very realistic for most of us. The healthy recommendation is 1-2 pounds per week, which would give you about 9-17 pounds in 2 months. The less weight you have to lose, the harder it is to lose 2 pounds per week.

Anyway, chose an exercise routine and start logging everything you eat and drink. Above all, be persistent and consistent, and have patience.
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Your boyfriend's friends are *kitten*. And so is he if he's allowing this.
  • thevolp
    thevolp Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    They're not really his close friends. He was in fraternity at our college, our actual close friends don't make fun of me it's the acquaintances he only saw when he came back to visit me (I just graduated yesterday and he graduated last year). He never told me, one of our close friends said something to me when he was drunk by mistake and I forced my boyfriend to tell me the truth because I wanted to know. He cried when he told me because he felt so bad about it and he yelled at them but apparently it was a running joke with some of the *kitten* he doesn't really like.

Honestly I'm glad to know because even though I gained a lot of weight and went from a 6 to a 10. I was in denial that I was so out of shape, but I can't even walk in shorts without my thighs chafing so badly and none of my clothes fit and I eat until I feel incomfortable almost every day.

I want to change my life and eating habits for me, but I also want the satisfaction of showing that I can do it to other people. I'm just disgusted by my body now and don't even want my boyfriend to touch me.
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you are feeling like this. You are a beautiful person. And at size 10, you are not fat. Just not where you might want to be and feel the best. Eat clean, no excessive sugars, and find out the calories you burn for the day and go 20% lower. You can work out of course, good for your heart, but don't go running marathons and hurt yourself. And congratulations on your graduation!
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I am surprised your BF hasn't punched them in the jaw for talking about his GF that way. Either way, do it for yourself don't worry about them. The funny thing is they are not perfect. They tease others as a way to hide their own problems and unhappiness about them.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

I know it's painful to be attacked like that, but don't give these idiots the power to determine your worth. They're nasty jerks, end of. No one deserves ridicule, no matter what they weigh.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    First of all, you said it's your boyfriend's friends. Has/does your boyfriend tell them that it's out of order when they say this stuff? Because if he doesn't, he should be saying so, and if he refuses to because they're his friends, you should strongly reconsider whether or not he's worthy of being your boyfriend. I'm not of the opinion that partners should always, always come before friends, but friends should respect their friend's partners, and people should respect their partners enough to not allow their "friends" to ridicule them.

Secondly, you don't need to lose weight to "show them" anything. They sound like nasty pieces of s*** to me and you're better than them. If you want to lose weight because you feel that you will be happier with the way you look and healthier, that's fine! But it is only your opinion that matters (other than your doctor's where your health is concerned of course)!

Thirdly, 20lbs in two months might be a bit quick and potentially difficult depending on the calorie deficit that requires. I aim for about 1lb a week and that means I get 1460 calories to eat a day (plus exercise calories). I used to try and hit 1200 calories and it was hard. I decided that sustainable was more important than instantaneous results so I bumped it up a bit and I've been much happier for it.

:)

ALL of this!

Also, I am most definitely one of those people who think just because you are with someone doesn't mean you need to like or get on with their friends, and vice versa, but if I found out my boyfriend heard some 'acquaintances' of his shaming me for my weight, and even if he yelled at them for it, if he ever willingly saw them again I would have to question how much he valued me and what his honest opinions were of me.
  • MeganKyGirl82
    MeganKyGirl82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Ouch. :/ I'm sorry! I may just be repeating what everyone else said, but those guys sound like major @ssholes. In my own struggles I have found that while the negativity of others can be a hell of a motivator, it is so much better to begin at a positive place, i.e. from a position of wanting to get healthy rather than being focused on the appearance end of it. Also, while having a goal is essential, it's best to do it the slow steady way. You're more likely to maintain a healthy lifestyle that way. There will be people who can word this exact sentiment far better than I can in these forums, but eat clean foods within your calorie count. Exercise. Best of luck to you, and please don't let these jerk bring you down!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you are going to lose weight because some boys joked about your weight then don't. Because next year another guy might call you too thin and then you will need to gain, or might hate your hair and you will need to change your hairstyle and so on. You cannot make decisions about life based on the comments of bullies.
    If these guys just made a comment and your boyfriend chose not to tell you, no big deal. Bullies will be bullies, and it does not affect your life. If your boyfriend is around these guys a lot and they joke about you, then time to reevaluate relationship with boyfriend.
    If you are not happy about your weight, go ahead and get in shape. For you, not random people commenting. If you are happy as you are, you need to start building some self esteem, not losing weight. If you do want to lose a bit, 20 lbs in months at your size, it is just ridiculous. Even half this might be too fast. Set realistic goals, you are a size 10, not morbidly obese.
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Lose it for you! They are mean.. and clearly have gotten it all wrong. Although, I know how it feels and want to "show people" I also know, that I need to do it for me.. because it'll show them no matter what. It is good that your boyfriend sticks up for you. When they get girlfriends, maybe they will change their tune. I always had that fear though.. "Am I too fat to be with him. His friends probably think so.. etc." and it sucks!

20lbs in two months is a lot, but if you're determined and stick to it, you can do it. But even if you don't lose that much, you'll still feel better about yourself. You got this!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    May I suggest that you own your size?

No one is perfect and I think if we come to terms with our plusses and minuses, we'd all be a lot better off. I'm not saying give up, I'm saying embrace yourself and your journey, wherever it takes you.

• Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I always taught my kids that words hurt and you cant take them back once you say them. Its out there. On the flip side, no one should have the power over you to make you feel insecure or bad about yourself. You have the power and you have the ability to not listen and not let bad things sink in. We have to be able to filter trash that comes our way.

One of my favorite sayings is, what other people think of me is none of my business.

Life is hard enough without having to prove yourself to others who you don't care for or like. They are basically strangers to you. Someone else may dislike your hair color, would you change that?

If you want to lose weight then do it. Do it for you!
  • thevolp
    thevolp Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the positivity and support. It's very much needed from the constant thoughts of all the negativity I have been exposed to. And of course, my head agrees and knows you are all right and I shouldn't care what people think of me and not let it bother me, but my heart is still hurt. I wonder if my bf feels the same way but just doesn't want to hurt me more. I wonder if my own friends comment about the weight I've gained. I wish see if that's all people see when they look at me. I don't even really want to eat because I'm so upset about this. A few months back I overheard a family member ask my mom if I had gotten pregnant and I felt the same way, convinced myself he was a jerk and dumb and went back to bad eating habits. I don't want that to ever happen again. I won't let it ever happen again.
  • Pickycatz
    Pickycatz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Just do it for you!

I can hear how hurt you sound. It's sad to read that you're surrounded by such shallow, narrow minded people. I would grieve that. Be sad that you are around so many unsupportive people. But then get back up and realize you are nothing like them and move on.

Remember you are far more valuable than what any number on the scale may tell you. The issue with your eating really has nothing to do with food or willpower. There is something else that's driving your eating. The food is just the drug that helps you cope in the moment. Maybe if some of the creeps leave the weight will go too.

As far as the creeps that make the comments go... Just remember that what they say says more about them than it does about you. They feel so insecure and unhappy about themselves that they feel the need to put you down in order to try and make themselves feel better or look better. They don't decide your worth or your beauty. It sounds like they are just threatened by it.

I hope things get better. You can do it!
  • HannaSusi
    HannaSusi Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    thevolp wrote: »
    I'm just disgusted by my body now and don't even want my boyfriend to touch me.

^ what everyone else has said, plus:

Don't punish your boyfriend for this by pushing him away. He loves you and needs your closeness, obviously your weight is not a problem for him. So don't reject him, he doesn't deserve it. Try to forget about yourself when you're with him, and just enjoy the person who loves you as you are.

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you are going through this :( Lose the weight for you and only you.