Learned my lesson

Options
Last night we went to On the Border mexican restaurant. I thought I was doing good by ordering two of the grilled fish tacos. When I got home I went to put them into my diary, and when I looked it up on here someone had them as 600 cals, meh not too bad I guess. BUT THEN I go to the On the Border site and look them up, for two tacos they have it as 1150 cals :o !!! How is that even possible for two grilled fish tacos!?

So from now on, I am most definitely going to look up nutrition info for restaurants before going anywhere. Does anyone else have a similar story of surprising high cal restaurant food for the rest of us to avoid?? :)

Replies

• MeganKyGirl82
    MeganKyGirl82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    O'Charleys. Ugh. Ordered this chicken apple salad thing once without really looking at what I was ordering .... over 1000 calories. FOR A SALAD. Turns out most of their food ranges in the bizarrely high range of calories.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend ordered this giant greasy brisket quesadilla and it was 1290, I kinda would have expected that, but for it too only be 140 more than my tacos makes me sick!

Salads at restaurants are the worst, I do not see how they can pack so many cals into them!
  • MeganKyGirl82
    Options
    I can imagine. I was a little gullible back then. Now I'm a bit of a Google nazi, searching calorie counts in the car ride to the restaurant if I'm not driving. Ridiculous isn't it?
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Cafe Nero Caramel latte ... cream version... just short of 500 cals . Luckily it's a 9 mile walk to the nearest cafe
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Sonic milkshakes. Last year my husband and I would have 1-2 a week for half-price. Now I know they have at least 1000 calories in them! Craziness.

I always always always check on my phone before ordering anything now.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @mkwrose Did you eat the rice? Coz the nutritional info includes the side of rice.
  • CricketClover
    Options
    kygirl8282 wrote: »
    I can imagine. I was a little gullible back then. Now I'm a bit of a Google nazi, searching calorie counts in the car ride to the restaurant if I'm not driving. Ridiculous isn't it?

I usually do look stuff up, but it was a last minute decision and I was driving (plus it is only about a mile away). I am glad they don't have their margaritas on listed on their site, I am just letting yesterday go and starting new today! :D
  • CricketClover
    Options
    markiend wrote: »
    Cafe Nero Caramel latte ... cream version... just short of 500 cals . Luckily it's a 9 mile walk to the nearest cafe

9 mile walk! Must be some good stuff to walk 9 miles for.

If I got out for lunch at work I always walk, makes me feel better about it.
  • CricketClover
    Options
    @mkwrose Did you eat the rice? Coz the nutritional info includes the side of rice.

I ate some of the rice and maybe a fork full of the beans. I also didn't use much of the creamy sauce that was on the side but I think there was some already on the tacos.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I look stuff up before i leave for the restaurant so i can make it fit into my day or i consider it my treat meal for the week
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Yep- Macaroni Grill Parmesan crusted sole- over 1300 cals and that's just the entree! Luckily I checked it out beforehand. But I'd eaten it before- and had no idea it was so incredibly caloric.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It's fine... one high calorie dinner won't end your life. Nor will it make you fat. Fat doesn't just OCCUR overnight.
  • CricketClover
    Options
    North44 wrote: »
    Yep- Macaroni Grill Parmesan crusted sole- over 1300 cals and that's just the entree! Luckily I checked it out beforehand. But I'd eaten it before- and had no idea it was so incredibly caloric.

That sounds delicious though. I love parmesan crusted anything.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I eat out several times a week and yep, ALWAYS check restaurant's websites before you go, and look up calorie info. Also learned that the hard way a while back :p
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Salads are often just as bad if not worse on calories and fat; most of which is in the dressing and other various toppings. You think you are making a healthier choice, but those add-ons really add up.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I love the calorie lookup

I use it when grocery shopping in the fish market.

I even google how to cook things when shopping.

Eating smarter has been an adventure.

I remember looking at fennel and wondering what the heck do you do with that!

• MeganKyGirl82
    Options
    Salads are often just as bad if not worse on calories and fat; most of which is in the dressing and other various toppings. You think you are making a healthier choice, but those add-ons really add up.

SO TRUE
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    small cadbury cream egg mcflurry at Mcdonalds. I knew it wasn't a healthy choice, but i thought its so small, maybe 400 or 500 calories! Lol it was 800 or 850, around there. i about died. haha. Lesson learned.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I hate to say, I tend to only go to chain restaurants now because I can get calorie info online. If I go to a local place, I tend to get steak or grilled chicken. Just to make it easier to estimate calories.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    dfranch wrote: »
    I hate to say, I tend to only go to chain restaurants now because I can get calorie info online. If I go to a local place, I tend to get steak or grilled chicken. Just to make it easier to estimate calories.

There's a couple local places we go to once in a while that doesn't have nutritional info available and I do like you do-stick to simple dishes that I can estimate pretty accurately. We went out to a local mom n pop place for breakfast on Memorial Day and I got two eggs and bacon-played it safe there lol.