Help with Breakfast!

Options
Hi,

I am new to weight loss. My problem is breakfast--I have a hard time finding a breakfast that a) fills me up, b) keeps me full, c) is easy to prepare and d) has a reasonable number of calories. I am ok with breakfast having more calories than lunch because I am so hungry in the morning, but it does need to be something that I can either throw together very quickly or make ahead of time. Any ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Look up breakfast casseroles and baked egg cups. More protein will help keep you full longer. Think outside the box and have salad or sandwich or whatever in the morning if it fills you up. Doesn't have to be typical breakfast food.
  • lckiehl
    lckiehl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love to have overnight oats. http://www.katheats.com/favorite-foods/overnightoats Prep the night before, microwave for 20 sec or so to take the chill out and enjoy. Good recipes are all over the internet. Make hard boiled eggs to add some protein and keep you held over. I also started adding coconut oil to my morning coffee. Sounds weird but tastes very mild and having some fat in the morning keeps me satiated longer.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds bad but I have 1/4 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup almond milk, cook in microwave 3 min (crappy low power microwave) add tbl. spoon chia seeds and 1/3 cup walnuts, cook an additional 2.5 min. Add fresh strawberries, blue berries and 1/2 banana. Tasty easy and good for me.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Any of these -- cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, yogurt. Pair that with any canned or fresh fruit or nuts like slivered almonds. Also one could add flax seeds or chia seeds.
  • aleikita
    aleikita Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love oatmeal and it keeps me full until lunch.
  • DogRiverDude
    DogRiverDude Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Certainly not for everybody but; I often grab a bite of yesterday's dinner leftovers. Up, showered, eaten, coffee in hand, and out the door in 20 minutes flat :smile:.

*** And um, I hate to admit it but, I log my Breakfast under the Lunch heading so my MFP friends don't get grossed-out.
  • KillRKit
    KillRKit Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Something that keeps me full is 2 whole grain freezer waffles (140 cals) with 1 Tbsp peanut butter (105 cals) and maybe a piece of fruit for the quick energy boost. Super fast in the toaster in the am. For more calories you could double the peanut butter smash a banana in the center and drizzle honey over it
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am new to weight loss. My problem is breakfast--I have a hard time finding a breakfast that a) fills me up, b) keeps me full, c) is easy to prepare and d) has a reasonable number of calories. I am ok with breakfast having more calories than lunch because I am so hungry in the morning, but it does need to be something that I can either throw together very quickly or make ahead of time. Any ideas? Thanks!

You can eat whatever you want for breakfast. Each morning, mine is between 500-700 calories. Weekdays it usually oatmeal with peanut butter and fruit and coffee, weekends French Toast with fruit and coffee. I generally stay full until my morning snack, but I eat 5-6 meals a day. Diary open if you want to peek.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I like to make ahead frittatas or mini egg muffins, or even a big single egg bake. Depending on which one I make, I freeze or refrigerate due to the number of portions and heat up before work.

You can also make a freezer breakfast burrito with whatever you want inside, or homemade egg McMuffins for your freezer.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I make a big batch of either black beans or pinto beans every weekend. during the week I have a 1/2 cup (3 ounce) serving of beans with 2 eggs scrambled and smothered in NM green chile and some kind of fruit...usually berries of some kind. Low sodium V8 and coffee.

The beans are already pre cooked so all I have to do is scramble the eggs which takes maybe 5 minutes. I pack my breakfast along with my lunch and I eat it when I get to the office.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite breakfast and keeps me full til lunch at about 300 calories:

1/3 cup oatmeal
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    1 container of greek yogurt (Dannon, 80 calories).
    Optional berries when I feel like it.

I like to mix it all together in the bowl, but I'm an everything-and-the-kitchen-sink kind of girl. I realize most people do not like mixing different food like this. What can I say. I'm weird, but I love it.
  • abbeyw1990
    abbeyw1990 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do breakfast smoothies. 1 banana 1 tbsp pb 1 scoop chocolate protien powder splash of almond milk and ice. So simple yummy and filling.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Smoked salmon with cream cheese on toast or crackers (like Ryvita).
    Fried egg on toast with veggies on the side. (Pre-prep then just throw in frying pan for a min after frying egg to heat up)
    Chicken and veggies. (Again, pre-prep and cook, just toss into pan with a bit of oil and spices to heat in the morning. I will roast a whole chicken and a ton of veg, then I can pull portions from the fridge to heat up in like 2 mins.)
    Greek yoghurt with fruit.
    Greek yoghurt and a piece of toast.
    Go on something like SkinnyTaste and find a recipe for a breakfast casserole type thing.
    Steel cut oats prepped the night before, with yummy additions.
    French toast or pancakes. (If you do pancakes, use a recipe that uses ingredients with protein and fat to help keep you full. And cornmeal is a good ingredient to change it up if you like.) I think you can mix up the batter the night before, then heating the pan up and frying in the morning shouldn't take long. https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006020114627
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    This is my favorite breakfast and keeps me full til lunch at about 300 calories:

1/3 cup oatmeal
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    1 container of greek yogurt (Dannon, 80 calories).
    Optional berries when I feel like it.

I like to mix it all together in the bowl, but I'm an everything-and-the-kitchen-sink kind of girl. I realize most people do not like mixing different food like this. What can I say. I'm weird, but I love it.

Actually, I've done the above too. It's delicious. :)
  • aggie2145
    aggie2145 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I make a batch of Freezer Breakfast Burritos every Sunday and heat one up in the microwave each morning (or skillet if I have time to watch it.) This week I followed this recipe: http://tone-and-tighten.com/2013/08/frozen-healthy-breakfast-burritos-recipe.html But there are endless varieties available online.
  • JessicaThompson12
    JessicaThompson12 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm on the go in the morning so it's usually a Greek Yogurt or Cottage Cheese and fruit.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I love eggs but I hate re-heated egg muffins. Otherwise that would be my first recommendation. I have refrigerator oats nearly every morning. I prepare mine heavy on the yogurt.

Get as many food groups in to your breakfast as you can sneak in and it will be satiating.
    • refrigerator oatmeal with yogurt, sunflower seeds, oatmeal, and blueberries
    • rye toast with cream cheese, berries and walnuts
    • smoothie with whey protein, frozen banana, milk, and more fruit
    • scrambled egg and bell pepper with feta cheese in a wrap
    • leftover thin crust pizza

Traditional cereal with milk does not hold me through the morning.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big breakfast eater during the week, so I'll do an egg & cheese wake up wrap from Dunkin Donuts and a large black coffee. This keeps me good for almost 6 hours, is less than 200 calories, and at 6am it's not a long wait to get it.