An estimate for a restaurant style lamb gyro? (with pita break, tomatoes and sauce?)

Options
lbride
lbride Posts: 248 Member
I know it's impossible to nail this one down exactly, but anyone ever estimate the approx. cals for a restaurant (think coney island/diner) style lamb gyro with pita bread, tomatoes and sauce (it's like a greek yogurt sauce). From Mr. Google, I'm thinking around 600-750. Any thoughts?

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I'm not into Gyros, but I can make a 150 calorie Burrito and I can make a 4,000 calorie burrito.

There is no valid way to get what you're after without specific ingredients ("sauce" isn't an ingredient), weights, and measures - right?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    In cases like this, I look at a few user generated entries and pick one that sounds reasonable and hope for the best.

Let me know what you come up with. I love gyros. I make my own tzatziki sauce from the Joy of Cooking recipe which is very different from restaurants - theirs has a sour cream consistency and less cucumber and herb flavor.

I use my tzatziki sauce recipe as a low fat salad dressing.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    If it has tahini/hummus in it, and the lamb looks oily then it's probably in the 1000 calorie range.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    There will be approximate matches in the MFP database. Pick one. It's really the best you can do.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    In for the deliciousness.
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Mmmm....gyros.
  • Terrappyn1
    Terrappyn1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks, now I want one for lunch!
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Terrappyn1 wrote: »
    This happens to me often here. These forums are the reason I had a Snickers Ice Cream bar as the primary component of my dinner last night.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    The annual local Greek festival is this weekend...now I need to go.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    Jgasmic wrote: »
    This happens to me often here. These forums are the reason I had a Snickers Ice Cream bar as the primary component of my dinner last night.

Yes, I think posting pictures of common trigger food is unkind :(

• Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Jgasmic wrote: »

Yes, I think posting pictures of common trigger food is unkind :(

I didn't have anything planned for last night because I haven't done a proper grocery shopping this week. I haven't had one in a long time and I was still under my calories for the day, posting that picture was probably the most kind thing anyone did for me yesterday!

• Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'd probably assign it 900 and call it a day.

Mmmmmm....gyros!
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    It was really really good! It's a pretty common meal at coney islands (in my part of the woods), with my unscientific analysis, I'd probably now say 750-850 (lamb was not greasy).
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I would guess at least 800 calories and 40-50 G carbs.

Pita Pit has a thing on their website where it lets you build your own pita. It tells you the calories and fat content. That might be a good way to estimate.