Getting frusterated! :(

Replies

• CarolineLeclair
    CarolineLeclair Posts: 48 Member
    You could be gaining muscle. I know in the past, especially when I was training for a triathlon, it felt like I was always eating (healthy) due to burning so many calories during brick workouts (swimming+ running, biking+running) but the numbers on the scale didn't move (I wasn't looking for them to, just something I noticed). But all the while, I was building so much lean muscle.

Muscle weighs more than fat.

*dodges tomatoes from the super duper health crazed MFP pros who will refute this point*

• CarolineLeclair
    I definitely feel stronger, and my clothes are fitting looser, but my body fat % (measured in my fitbit scale) also hasn't moved.. At all!!! :(
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    I am doing my best to track as accurately as possible. If ever I have any doubt I always over estimate calories in and underestimate calories burned.

do you use a food scale?

are you eating back 100% of calorie burned?

I am going to take agues here and say your problem is a combination of inaccurate logging and eating back too many exercise calories..

• ndj1979
    This may sound crazy but it is most likely time for you to increase your intake. How long have you been at your current calorie level?

why would you tell someone not losing weight to eat more calories? I never understood this....
  • CarolineLeclair
    This may sound crazy but it is most likely time for you to increase your intake. How long have you been at your current calorie level?

• CarolineLeclair
    About 6 weeks now! Lost 5 lbs in the first 3 weeks and nothing since!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    I wear a fitbit and use the fitbit scale. I truly believe I do have a daily calorie deficit.... As I count very carefully and why I'm so frusterated. Starting to wondering there could be something medical? That being said, recent blood work said my thyroid is fine!

Two weeks really isn't enough time to start worrying about medical issues. Weight loss isn't linear. There are going to be periods of time where you don't see a loss. Double-check your logging, ramp up your workouts if you want, but wait a couple more weeks before you start to worry about it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear

• ndj1979
    do you use a food scale?????????????
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Hi Demora! I will open my diary! I would love your advice!!!

Doesn't look like you've opened your diary yet :S
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Another theory to toss into the mix. Remember that your muscles hold water. Have you weighed yourself a day AFTER a full rest day?
  • CarolineLeclair
    Two weeks could easily be a natural stall due to hormones, sodium, hydration levels, ovulation, TOM, changes to your exercise routine, etc. You may not need to do anything, yet.

Opening your diary might help to get you more specific advice if you're comfortable doing so.

You're logging everything you eat? Including condiments, cooking oils, veggies, cheat days, etc? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by several hundred calories when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is going to be the most accurate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.

And there's something to be said for the fact that some people just burn fewer calories than the generic equations predict. If that's the case for you, you may need to adjust your calories a little lower until you start losing again.

• stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

why would you tell someone not losing weight to eat more calories? I never understood this....

Because I see this all the time and have personally experienced it. Your metabolism will slow if your intake is to low. If your metabolism slows enough you wont lose weight. This is why I hate seeing so many people eating 1000-1200 calories a day. You cant keep dropping calories and expect to see weight loss.

This is the exact reason why there are so many threads on here like this where peoples weight loss has stalled and they are barely eating anything and exercising all the time and just cant lose weight.

• CarolineLeclair
    Two weeks could easily be a natural stall due to hormones, sodium, hydration levels, ovulation, TOM, changes to your exercise routine, etc. You may not need to do anything, yet.

Opening your diary might help to get you more specific advice if you're comfortable doing so.

You're logging everything you eat? Including condiments, cooking oils, veggies, cheat days, etc? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by several hundred calories when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is going to be the most accurate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.

And there's something to be said for the fact that some people just burn fewer calories than the generic equations predict. If that's the case for you, you may need to adjust your calories a little lower until you start losing again.

• CarolineLeclair
    Awesome advice! Yes.. Being a girl can stink "that" way! I will keep those factors in mind!!! I measure and include all condiments and cheat days! I even measure wine!!! ;)
    Inly thin I don't use is a scale. I will go get one!!!
    Will be opening my diary! Thanks so much!
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    You could be gaining muscle. I know in the past, especially when I was training for a triathlon, it felt like I was always eating (healthy) due to burning so many calories during brick workouts (swimming+ running, biking+running) but the numbers on the scale didn't move (I wasn't looking for them to, just something I noticed). But all the while, I was building so much lean muscle.

*dodges tomatoes from the super duper health crazed MFP pros who will refute this point*

NO it does not. Pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. The pound of fat is larger in size and therefore takes up more room. Its a volume thing, not a weight thing.

• CarolineLeclair

Because I see this all the time and have personally experienced it. Your metabolism will slow if your intake is to low. If your metabolism slows enough you wont lose weight. This is why I hate seeing so many people eating 1000-1200 calories a day. You cant keep dropping calories and expect to see weight loss.

This is the exact reason why there are so many threads on here like this where peoples weight loss has stalled and they are barely eating anything and exercising all the time and just cant lose weight.

• CarolineLeclair
    I think this may be part of the problem!!!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member

NO it does not. Pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. The pound of fat is larger in size and therefore takes up more room. Its a volume thing, not a weight thing.

NO it does not. A gallon of muscle takes up the same space as a gallon of fat. The gallon of fat is less dense and therefore weighs less. Its a weight thing, not a volume thing.

In other words: muscle is denser than fat. Both arguments (muscle weighs more and muscle takes up less space) are just two different (and imperfect) ways of trying to describe this.

Now, can we all agree that the more important point is that no one is gaining pounds of muscle in a 2-3 week period?
  • ndj1979

OP has not indicated that she is chronically under eating..so without that information I am not sure how you can recommend eating more.
  • ndj1979
    OP two questions.

Do you eat back 100% of exercise calories?

do you use a food scale to weigh all solid foods?

if you can't answer these two basic questions, we can't help.