Getting frusterated! :(

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I had to up my miles to 30 a week, Nautilus set three days a week and ab work daily for a while before my body fat % started going down on my fitbit scale. In fact it was right about when I lost the last of the 50 pounds I needed to shed. Even stranger, when I stopped running I gained 15 pounds back, the body fat went up 5% and my waist went up a size. Currently struggling to get my miles back up but on the bright side, I ran this morning!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    rsclause wrote: »
    I had to up my miles to 30 a week, Nautilus set three days a week and ab work daily for a while before my body fat % started going down on my fitbit scale. In fact it was right about when I lost the last of the 50 pounds I needed to shed. Even stranger, when I stopped running I gained 15 pounds back, the body fat went up 5% and my waist went up a size. Currently struggling to get my miles back up but on the bright side, I ran this morning!

FYI - if you stopped running and started gaining it is because you are eating too much. You can lose weight via calorie deficit without running or walking...
  • stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    This may sound crazy but it is most likely time for you to increase your intake. How long have you been at your current calorie level?

why would you tell someone not losing weight to eat more calories? I never understood this....

Because I see this all the time and have personally experienced it. Your metabolism will slow if your intake is to low. If your metabolism slows enough you wont lose weight. This is why I hate seeing so many people eating 1000-1200 calories a day. You cant keep dropping calories and expect to see weight loss.

This is the exact reason why there are so many threads on here like this where peoples weight loss has stalled and they are barely eating anything and exercising all the time and just cant lose weight.

OP has not indicated that she is chronically under eating..so without that information I am not sure how you can recommend eating more.

"Help!! I seem to be at a stand still with my weight loss, even though I'm working my butt off and consistently eating just under my daily calorie budget."

OP has not indicated yet what her daily goal is but has told us that she is consistently under. So you're ok with telling her to cut but are offended that I suggest she may need to increase? Makes sense.
  • ndj1979
    This may sound crazy but it is most likely time for you to increase your intake. How long have you been at your current calorie level?

why would you tell someone not losing weight to eat more calories? I never understood this....

Because I see this all the time and have personally experienced it. Your metabolism will slow if your intake is to low. If your metabolism slows enough you wont lose weight. This is why I hate seeing so many people eating 1000-1200 calories a day. You cant keep dropping calories and expect to see weight loss.

This is the exact reason why there are so many threads on here like this where peoples weight loss has stalled and they are barely eating anything and exercising all the time and just cant lose weight.

OP has not indicated that she is chronically under eating..so without that information I am not sure how you can recommend eating more.

"Help!! I seem to be at a stand still with my weight loss, even though I'm working my butt off and consistently eating just under my daily calorie budget."

OP has not indicated yet what her daily goal is but has told us that she is consistently under. So you're ok with telling her to cut but are offended that I suggest she may need to increase? Makes sense.

No, I am questioning that you are recommending doing something based on zero evidence.

I asked her two simple questions.

Does she use a food scale?

Does she eat back 100% of exercise calories?

I have not recommended anything...however, my guess would be that her issue is inaccurate logging + eating back too many exercise calories.

• CarolineLeclair
    CarolineLeclair Posts: 48 Member
    OP two questions.

Do you eat back 100% of exercise calories?

do you use a food scale to weigh all solid foods?

if you can't answer these two basic questions, we can't help.

• CarolineLeclair
    I don't eat back all of my exercise calories, and I don't own a scale (but will get one!). I do however measure and count all food and exercise as accurately as possible without a scale! (A little obsessive that way).
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    rsclause wrote: »

FYI - if you stopped running and started gaining it is because you are eating too much. You can lose weight via calorie deficit without running or walking...

I know it can be done via diet alone but I am not the best dieter. I enjoy wine and beer too much so the answer for me is to run enough to make room for it. It just happens to be what worked best for me. I also don't like the hungry feeling of calorie reduction alone. The bonus is I found out I enjoy being active. If these pounds don't come off I can always quit drinking for a couple of weeks.
  • stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member

No, I am questioning that you are recommending doing something based on zero evidence.

I have not recommended anything...however, my guess would be that her issue is inaccurate logging + eating back too many exercise calories.

stevesample76 wrote: »

Seems to me I did ask a question that we still dont have the answer for. We need to know her current calorie level. And I didnt say that she needs to increase I said she may need to. Reading isnt for everyone on here...I get that.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    OP, As an FYI, you can type in the post you actually quote before you post the reply. My guess is this thread will probably go on for pages and pages and pages. It might be helpful if you avoid the "over post". :)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Make sure you get a digital scale that does both grams/ounces and has a tare feature. Also, if you can, go for one with a larger platform to enable you to weigh your food right onto your dinner plate/dish. That's not necessary but a nice option. :) This is the scale I have, got it from Amazon, and looooove it:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009EUPMFK/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1433348768&sr=1&keywords=eat+smart+digital+kitchen+scale

There are cheaper options of course...the one I had before it was only $15 but this has a nicer display and a huge platform - I can put my mixing bowl on it if I want! (great for using the recipe builder)
  • ndj1979
    I don't eat back all of my exercise calories, and I don't own a scale (but will get one!). I do however measure and count all food and exercise as accurately as possible without a scale! (A little obsessive that way).

there is your problem right there. Without a food scale your logging can be off as much as 15-30%. IF you think that you are consuming 1500 calories a day and your are underestimating by 25% that means you really consumed 1875 or 375 more calories than you think.

I would suggest getting a food scale, and weighing all solid foods for three to four weeks and see how that goes.
  • ndj1979

stevesample76 wrote: »

Seems to me I did ask a question that we still dont have the answer for. We need to know her current calorie level. And I didnt say that she needs to increase I said she may need to. Reading isnt for everyone on here...I get that.

so most likely time to eat more calories equals what in your world of reading comprehension?

and I am not here to play semantic word games with you.

OP indicated she does not use a food scale and that is more than likely her issue. So if she followed your advice and was already underestimating calories consumed then she would probably have gained.

• CarolineLeclair
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Make sure you get a digital scale that does both grams/ounces and has a tare feature. Also, if you can, go for one with a larger platform to enable you to weigh your food right onto your dinner plate/dish. That's not necessary but a nice option. :) This is the scale I have, got it from Amazon, and looooove it:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009EUPMFK/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1433348768&sr=1&keywords=eat+smart+digital+kitchen+scale

There are cheaper options of course...the one I had before it was only $15 but this has a nicer display and a huge platform - I can put my mixing bowl on it if I want! (great for using the recipe builder)

• CarolineLeclair
    I love it Wizzy! Thank you! I will order one right away! Very cool!
  • CarolineLeclair
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    OP, As an FYI, you can type in the post you actually quote before you post the reply. My guess is this thread will probably go on for pages and pages and pages. It might be helpful if you avoid the "over post". :)

• CarolineLeclair
    My daily goal is 1420 calories. According to my fitbit I burn a daily average of 2400 calories.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    My daily goal is 1420 calories. According to my fitbit I burn a daily average of 2400 calories.

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE—the number of calories at which your weight will stabilize. If you eat at a reasonable deficit from that, you will lose weight.

Connect your accounts at http://www.myfinesspal.com/fitbit

Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Ignore Fitbit's calorie goal and follow MFP's, eating back your adjustments.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    6/2/15
    No sauce/spread listed on your sandwich.
    Angie's - Boom Chicka Pop, 4 cups- no oz/g listed.
    Wegmans - Beef Kabob, Sirloin, 6 oz- is this the pre-cooking weight?
    6/1/15
    Amy's - Organic Soups - Lentil, 0.75 Cup (245g)- Did you weigh this? That's a TINY amount of soup. I eat their lentil soup all the time.
    5/30/15
    Homemade Oven-roasted Vegetables - Veggies, 1/2 cooked - is this your entry? It looks like someone else made this (no oz/g)
    5/29/15
    Lay's - Doritos, 33 chips- no oz.
    5/28/15
    None - Mixed Vegetables - Roasted, 2 cup cooked- No oz.

The biggest thing I'm seeing is that your fitbit is giving you HUGE burns and you're eating some/all of those calories back. See above advice about how to manage fitbit numbers.
  • CarolineLeclair
    Lol! No, i didn't weigh those, but yes, I did measure them with measuring cups! If I measure the popcorn (for example) in cups, do I need to weigh it too?
    Not sure I understand why.... Would I use the weight over the measurement?
    I do have all my fitbit settings adjusted like it says above!
    I was told to trust fitbit ad it was quite accurate.
  • CarolineLeclair
    Lol.. And yes... I eat my sandwiches with no spread!