tight hamstrings. what kind of exercise helps?

Options
ok, my question of the day is what can I do for tight hamstrings. I seem to loss the flexibility I once had and I want to change that asap. Any tips would be appreciated

Replies

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Stretch. Then stretch some more.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Check out DeFranco's Agile 8 or Agile 11. (He demos on YouTube.) Basically roll tight areas, get some dynamic/static stretching, step and repeat throughout the week and before exercise. My mobility/stretch routine takes 5-10 minutes to complete.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My physical therapist showed me the "door stretch". Lie down on the floor in a doorway; press your left hip against the left door jam and prop your left leg up on long the doorway. Keep your right leg on the floor. Hold. Switch sides i.e. right leg on right door jam.

To start, you may not be able to keep your hip even with the doorway and may have to scoot up a bit. But as your flexibility increases, move back into the doorway to increase your stretch.
  • ALJohnson1980
    ALJohnson1980 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    foam roller $20 @ walmart
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    yoga, foam rolling
  • jesoverley
    jesoverley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Definitely a foam roller. use daily. If your hamstrings are tight, I would suggest rolling your IT band as well.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Yoga
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    My physical therapist showed me the "door stretch". Lie down on the floor in a doorway; press your left hip against the left door jam and prop your left leg up on long the doorway. Keep your right leg on the floor. Hold. Switch sides i.e. right leg on right door jam.

To start, you may not be able to keep your hip even with the doorway and may have to scoot up a bit. But as your flexibility increases, move back into the doorway to increase your stretch.

This one is AMAZING.

I am generally a dynamic stretching/foam rolling advocate, but the doorframe stretch is phenomenal. It allows you to stretch your hamstrings even when you have tight calves--many full-leg stretches just end up targeting the calf.
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Stretch .. Foam roller ..
  • kmab1985
    kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I too suffer from tight hamstrings i.e. I can't touch my toes...To achieve flexible hamstrings do you only have to stretch them and could I do hamstring stretches every day to help? and for how long?
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    kmab1985 wrote: »
    I too suffer from tight hamstrings i.e. I can't touch my toes...To achieve flexible hamstrings do you only have to stretch them and could I do hamstring stretches every day to help? and for how long?
    For as long as you need to reach that level of flexibility and afterwards to maintain it.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I do the pike stretch/forward bend for hamstrings. I learned (from Bob Harper lol) that while in the forward bend you can lean forward onto your toes or back on your heels to move the stretch up and down your leg. Also pigeon pose from yoga for the hips and outside glute area which helps with the hamstrings.

I stretch after every workout for @15 minutes, I have my own little routine. So generally 5x/week.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I do the pike stretch/forward bend for hamstrings. I learned (from Bob Harper lol) that while in the forward bend you can lean forward onto your toes or back on your heels to move the stretch up and down your leg. Also pigeon pose from yoga for the hips and outside glute area which helps with the hamstrings.

I stretch after every workout for @15 minutes, I have my own little routine. So generally 5x/week.

I <3 pigeon pose.
    I'm so happy that I can do it again
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

I <3 pigeon pose.
    I'm so happy that I can do it again

Now I'm mad that I'm not doing it right now.
  • _pragma_
    _pragma_ Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Check out DeFranco's Agile 8 or Agile 11. (He demos on YouTube.) Basically roll tight areas, get some dynamic/static stretching, step and repeat throughout the week and before exercise. My mobility/stretch routine takes 5-10 minutes to complete.

Seconded. Buy a foam roller and/or lacrosse ball. Applying pressure will relax the muscle and slowly build mobility.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    There needs to be a combination of things.

1. Self-Myofacial release via a foam roller or lacrosse ball for example. Find the tight spot (it will may hurt) and hold it for 30-sec's or so.

2. Stretching: This is where things get misinformed sometimes. If you have a muscle that is overly tight, then you need some static stretching. Static Stretching is not evil as some will have you think and it won't destroy your gym performance if you don't hold it for too long and you follow-up with an active or dynamic movement. 30-seconds is the minimum time you need to hold and if you're stretching pre-workout you should avoid the 1-minute mark as that is when some affect on your performance can be felt, some information indicates under 45-sec's even.

Active stretching is where you move in and out of the stretch, move into the stretch for a 2-sec hold, back out that's 1 rep, try 5 to 10 and they can be done for 1 to 3 sets if needed.

Dynamic stretching is some kind of full range of motion. Something like Mountain Climbers can be done for a large portion of the lower body, V-rolls, etc.

3. Why are your hamstrings so tight? Have you just neglected mobility work for some time and are both equally as tight? Have the hamstrings been neglected in training? There are many possibilities and my best suggestion is to find a trainer or professional that knows how to conduct a movement / KCA analysis on you. This will help improve any dysfunction that may exist and might help reduce some of the hamstring tightness that you're experiencing as well. Cheers!