No weight loss over 3 months, inches lost

Options
I do have an auto immune disease that requires a ton of meds. I am 45. I exercise 5 days a week. either 3 days fitness blender (1000 cal burned) 2 days Leslie Sansone dvd 2-3 miles (fitness walk). I eat very healthy excluding 1 cheat day. I have tried eating my calories burned and not eating them. I have tried a balanced diet and lo carb I am 45 and I think sometimes maybe premenopause. Before my diagnosis 5.5 years ago I was 180, since then I have been at 200. I have fitbit, use fitness pal app daily. I do feel great clothes do fit much differently BUT........ What to do???

Replies

• mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    So you look better, feel better and you've lost body fat, yet you still care about what the scales say? Why?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,642 Member
    Options
    Well, you could realize that losing inches is a better indication of weight loss than a number on a scale. :p

Whatever you're doing, it sounds like you're doing it right.
  • RobertWilkens
    RobertWilkens Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you're losing size but not weight, that probably means your gaining so-called lean-mass (muscle?) and losing fat... A good idea for motivation might be to get some sort of body fat % analyzer (there are a bunch, some hand held some built into scales) -- i noticed the other day i was up half a pound, but i was down about 1% body fat so essentially i lost a pound of fat at my weight, but gained muscle (though these things aren't necessarily that accurate). I personally don't mind replacing fat with muscle.
  • vickiluchini
    vickiluchini Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Your all right , as females we want scale to go down. Just got done with my videos and I was thinking about just putting scale away too. But do you really think it's possible not to lose weight. I must admit, the good thing is I am obsessed with exercising!
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Has your thyroid been checked ?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    vicluch wrote: »
    I do have an auto immune disease that requires a ton of meds. I am 45. I exercise 5 days a week. either 3 days fitness blender (1000 cal burned) 2 days Leslie Sansone dvd 2-3 miles (fitness walk). I eat very healthy excluding 1 cheat day. I have tried eating my calories burned and not eating them. I have tried a balanced diet and lo carb I am 45 and I think sometimes maybe premenopause. Before my diagnosis 5.5 years ago I was 180, since then I have been at 200. I have fitbit, use fitness pal app daily. I do feel great clothes do fit much differently BUT........ What to do???

(1000 cal burned): It takes HOURS to burn this many calories. How are you calculating this number?

excluding 1 cheat day How many calories are you consuming on your cheat day? What is your calorie goal every day? Do you use a food scale?

eating my calories burned and not eating them How long did you try not eating them?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    leggup wrote: »

(1000 cal burned): It takes HOURS to burn this many calories. How are you calculating this number?

excluding 1 cheat day How many calories are you consuming on your cheat day? What is your calorie goal every day? Do you use a food scale?

eating my calories burned and not eating them How long did you try not eating them?
    These are the things that caught my attention, too.

How long are you exercising to burn 1000 calories? That would take me an 11 or 12 mile run to accomplish but I'm admittedly smaller than you. What tool are you using to verify that calorie burn?

Cheat days are a bad, bad idea in general. Are you logging at all on that cheat day or just eating whatever? It's really easy to wipe out several days of calorie deficit with one cheat day.

If you're truly eating at a deficit, OP, it's nearly impossible to gain muscle especially if you aren't actually lifting heavy weights. If you aren't losing weight, it's more likely that you simply aren't eating at as much of a deficit as you think you are.
  • vickiluchini
    Options
    The video is called 1000 cal burned- fitness blender , you tube, actually working out 80 minutes, check it out!
  • vickiluchini
    Options
    And the video includes strength training!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I find that unwanted body recomp means that I was eating too much.
  • vickiluchini
    Options
    I do not have a thyroid problem, I have Multiple Sclerosis.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    The video is called 1000 cal burned- fitness blender , you tube, actually working out 80 minutes, check it out!

calories burned would not be the same for every person. So how can something be called 1000 cal burn video?
  • NesCastanon
    NesCastanon Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »

uhhh the bigger you are, the more calories you burn. I easily burn 900-1000 calories in 1hr doing intense cardio. So no, it does not take hours to burn that.
  • NesCastanon
    NesCastanon Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    And i do not use MFP to calc my calories burned. I use a HR monitor which is pretty darn accurate. Even then I round down by about 100.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    And i do not use MFP to calc my calories burned. I use a HR monitor which is pretty darn accurate. Even then I round down by about 100.

What kind of exercise are you doing? HRMs only work for steady state cardio.

• jwheez73
    jwheez73 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Actually burning 1000 calories is not really that hard. Between strength training and running I can do 1000 calories in about 90 minutes or so!! I already do a 500 calorie deficit with the total calories I'm allowed and then with working out I try and have an additional surplus of another 500 calories!!! My scale isn't going down either, but my clothes fit more loosely and I'm down a pants size.

As someone else above already stated, if you feel better and your clothes fit more loosely don't worry about the number on the scale!!

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

I do fitness blender videos too... and never have I burned 1000 calories. Or do you mean with the 3 days combined you burn 1000 calories??
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Regardless of whether or not the OP actually burns 1000 calories doing fitness blender, I think the lack of weight loss can be attributed to a lack of accuracy in logging.

And OP should be satisfied with inches lost even with no scale change.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't understand why this comes up on MFP . . . if you're losing inches, you're doing something right. Who gives a *kitten* what the scale says if you're getting smaller? SMH.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I do have an auto immune disease that requires a ton of meds. I am 45.

Before my diagnosis 5.5 years ago I was 180, since then I have been at 200. I have fitbit, use fitness pal app daily.

I'm your age and have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). I lost the weight by following the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE—the number of calories at which your weight will stabilize. If you eat at a reasonable deficit from that, you will lose weight.

Connect your accounts at http://www.myfinesspal.com/fitbit

Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Trust your Fitbit—and be patient!

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users