People with Office Jobs

Options
I have a 1 hour lunch break, but don't normally eat during that time since I'm not usually hungry yet from breakfast. I've been walking during my break, but it's getting too hot. I don't mind heat, I just don't like coming back to my office all smelly and sweaty. Is there a workout you recommend that I can do in my office during that time? I get so bored during that time - I don't want to waste the opportunity to get moving!

Thanks!

Replies

• Dday0829
    Dday0829 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Turn some headphones on and dance away some low pact aerobics.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I sometimes just walk around inside the building, up the stairs, wherever it's cool.

Other than that, I don't know of anything off the top of my head that wouldn't also (probably) get you sweaty.

But, realistically, I just walk for 20-25 minutes (it's a 1.4 mile loop around the corporate park) outside. I don't get that sweaty from it.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I keep deodorant, dry shampoo, baby wipes, a brush, and body spray in my gym bag... works wonders!
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If I can do it in South Texas summer at 105 and 90% humidity, you can do it in Tennessee too...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I usually cycle during my lunch break. I keep a stick of deodorant at the office along with some baby wipes to towel off with a bit.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Do you have hallways in your office building? I just walk the hallways in the summer time. Or how about stairs? Do a few rounds of stairs (doesn't have to be fast).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I have several low impact workout DVDs I keep in my office for this very reason (listed below). I still do get kind of sweaty from them. I keep baby wipes and deodorant in my desk for a quick cleanup.

Zumba flat abs (15 min, core focused, not too "dancy" like most Zumba)
    Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds.
    S.W.A.T. rapid tone and firm - resistance tubing workout
    Iron Core Kettlebell - 4 DVD set, very basic without frills, perfect for the office (I keep a small kettlebell in my desk)
    Brazil Butt Lift - just the low impact resistance band and dumbell workouts
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    I keep deodorant, dry shampoo, baby wipes, a brush, and body spray in my gym bag... works wonders!
    Get some baby wipes too. I keep them in my gym bag. ALDI you can buy a package of 100 for under $5.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    When it's too cold or raining I walk up each flight of stairs and do a lap around those floors. But in the summer I walk outside no matter how hot it is. You just reminded me that it's probably time to bring deodorant to work for the summer months :)
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Baby wipes are a great idea, and of course the dry shampoo. I'm limited on body sprays, because my office neighbor HATES them (gives her a headache). I don't mind getting a little sweaty ;)

My office building is actually pretty small; one story, small loop of a hallway that makes it look silly if I'm walking in circles to the people with windows facing that way. I look crazy - which isn't good, because I work at the mental health facility LOL!

• kraft_kris
    kraft_kris Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    great ideas here!
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I bought a stepstool to elevate my feet while sitting... that stepstool now doubles as my "exercise stepper". I try to do at least 10 mins twice a day. More if I can. I also do a lot of running in place. I just use my phone's timer to keep me honest. But basically just try to move as much as possible. As for sweaty, I don't get that sweaty, at least not enough for anyone else to notice, but even if I do, I'm pretty much in my office all day w/out many visitors so I don't really have to worry that much.
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    You can bring some small dumbbells and do some squats/lunges or bring a step stool and do step ups with the weights as well.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I work at the mental health facility LOL!

Me too! We have a large building though, with lots of stairs... I still get funny looks but oh well.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Baby wipes are a great idea, and of course the dry shampoo. I'm limited on body sprays, because my office neighbor HATES them (gives her a headache). I don't mind getting a little sweaty ;)

My office building is actually pretty small; one story, small loop of a hallway that makes it look silly if I'm walking in circles to the people with windows facing that way. I look crazy - which isn't good, because I work at the mental health facility LOL!

Do you have a store you can drive to nearby? I'm thinking Walmart-type places.
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    I run off to yoga if I can actually get away from my office. I find it's just enough work to be considered a workout but not enough to make me gross.
  • ladybarometer
    Options
    I wish I had the money for a standing desk - I tried to prop my computer up on boxes one time, and was told to take it down, and that it looked ridiculous (I had a very RUDE boss in the last position I was in).

I don't mind sweat, but the heat just takes the sweaty smell to another level! :s
    I think I'll give dry shampoo a go, since I have a greasy scalp anyway.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Go up and down the stairs, if your building has them. I park out front so I can take the stairs to my office, since parking in back means I have to use the elevator or walk around the building on the road (there's no sidewalk).
  • nancyleephillips
    nancyleephillips Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Do you work near a mall? When I used to work in an office, I would go to the mall during the summer months and walk inside. It's enough to get you moving, but not so much that you get too sweaty.
  • ladybarometer
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »

Do you have a store you can drive to nearby? I'm thinking Walmart-type places.

Yes. I actually use my fitbit in there sometimes and walk for about half an hour around the perimeter. It's always tempting to purchase something, and the employees gave me looks when I was in there for a few days in a row so I stopped.