Terrified of loose skin.

Options
I currently weigh 235 and my goal weight is around 140-150 and I'm terrified that I'm going to have a lot of gross lose hanging skin when I get there.

I do toning and I'm losing slowly but I've heard you will still have it and sometimes it has to be surgically removed. I don't have insurance or make a lot of money plus I'm terrified of surgery.

Any tips or help would be appreciated.

Replies

• jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Strength training, lose it slowly, and remember that you're better off being healthy with loose skin than fat. The rest is up to genetics.
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    There are many factors that can effect your skin...eating/drinking habits, genetics, age, height to weight ratio, how fast you lose and how much. I lost 130 lbs and you can't really tell I have loose skin (but I'm also 6' tall). Or your other option is to not lose weight.
    Unless you have a drastic height to weight ration difference, I doubt with losing that amount, you will have any problems with loose skin. IMO
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    The slower the better is what I hear. Also, you are young, if you really stick with it your skin will snap right back. That is what I've noticed of the younger people losing a large amount of weight. Best of luck!
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I started at 248, currently 209. To me: loose skin > staying the same size. I would much rather weigh less and be healthier for myself and my family, than to worry about getting loose skin and staying at a higher weight to "prevent" getting loose skin...
    Slower weight loss will most likely lessen the chances of having lot of loose skin, though.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    You look young and even though that is a large amount of weight to lose, I bet you will be okay, especially if 235 is close to your highest. I know everyone's different but FWIW I went from 307 to 166 in my mid 30's and have very little loose skin, mainly just around my upper abdomen and upper arms, and a little on my inner thighs. It's definitely not bad enough to make me want surgery. If I was into wearing bikinis and tank tops, maybe. But in skinny jeans, semi-fitted tops & dresses with short sleeves, and one piece bathing suits, I like my body 100%. Good luck!
  • Lizrobin3108
    Lizrobin3108 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yes, you may end up with some loose skin. I don't like the idea either.

But I would rather deal with loose skin than all the issues associated with being overweight. Can you afford those cost?
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    are you more afraid of being fat for the rest of your life than not looking good in a bathing suit? when you can answer that question you'll know where your head is at.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I currently weigh 235 and my goal weight is around 140-150 and I'm terrified that I'm going to have a lot of gross lose hanging skin when I get there.

I do toning and I'm losing slowly but I've heard you will still have it and sometimes it has to be surgically removed. I don't have insurance or make a lot of money plus I'm terrified of surgery.

Any tips or help would be appreciated.

As if it's any worse than "gross" rolly polly muffin-top fat rolls?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    OP I recommend losing the weight now than when you are older and your skin isn't as elastic as it will be now.

You are having fear of the unknown get in the way of your goals.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »
    Strength training, lose it slowly, and remember that you're better off being healthy with loose skin than fat. The rest is up to genetics.

Nail on the head. OP, pick your battles. It's better to be healthy with some loose skin than overweight/obese.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Your youth is in your favour. Lots of your skin will bounce back.

Later, there may be babies, stretch marks, and you get to start all over again. http://loveyourlines.tumblr.com/

I tell you, losing ninety pounds has done worlds for my vitality, strength, and flexibility. I'm in my fifties so I've got plenty of loose skin that won't snap back. Nevertheless, it all tucks away nicely behind firm grandma-wear.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Insurance wouldn't cover the surgery anyway, and cosmetic surgeons typically won't perform the procedure until you've hit goal and maintained it for a year. Yes, I've investigated this.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A lot can be done with skillful choices.
    HM-plus-size-bikini.jpg
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I started out a bit higher than you and lost 100lbs. I have loose skin (I also had 2 back to back pregnancies prior to the weight loss so that likely contributed as well). It is what it is. I promise you, loose skin is 100x better than being overweight.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have loose skin than go back to being Obese.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I have quite a bit of loose skin. Beats extra fat every day.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Insurance wouldn't cover the surgery anyway, and cosmetic surgeons typically won't perform the procedure until you've hit goal and maintained it for a year. Yes, I've investigated this.

There are many insurance plans that will cover it if it's causing medical conditions such as sores opening from the hanging skin.

Hmm I will keep that in mind as I keep losing as a just in case it happens.