People with Office Jobs

Options
2»

Replies

• ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Do you work near a mall? When I used to work in an office, I would go to the mall during the summer months and walk inside. It's enough to get you moving, but not so much that you get too sweaty.

Nah, the mall isn't very close. I mall walk after work when it's raining though - we have an abandoned mall near our home that's just used for a call center basically.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I'm fortunate enough that my building is attached to an accelerator ring (photon science) that's about a 3/4 mile loop at a controlled temp of 72 degrees year round. I am a big sweater so I know what you mean. I never do the runs at work that the running club does because I honestly would need a shower. We have showers, I just don't have the extra time it takes to run, then shower within an hour. So I can either run after work or just walk during.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I do calisthenics in the office throughout the day - pushups, planks, jumping jacks, etc and keep some weights at the desk and take walks up and down the stairs periodically. I keep a pack of baby wipes around and deodorant (and other necessities) in a diddy bag.
  • deanpearce
    deanpearce Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Do you work near a mall? When I used to work in an office, I would go to the mall during the summer months and walk inside. It's enough to get you moving, but not so much that you get too sweaty.
    Yes, this is exactly what I do. I work across the way from a mall so I wander over there at lunch and do a couple laps of the mall. Gets me out of the office, keeps me in the cool, and helps burn a few extra calories.
  • mmd575
    mmd575 Posts: 88 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I keep deodorant, dry shampoo, baby wipes, a brush, and body spray in my gym bag... works wonders!

Same here. Baby wipes are great! Also I have make up remover wipes and I keep an extra bottle of moisturizer/sunscreen at my desk so I can reapply after I've cleaned my face.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    Baby wipes are a great idea, and of course the dry shampoo. I'm limited on body sprays, because my office neighbor HATES them (gives her a headache). I don't mind getting a little sweaty ;)

My office building is actually pretty small; one story, small loop of a hallway that makes it look silly if I'm walking in circles to the people with windows facing that way. I look crazy - which isn't good, because I work at the mental health facility LOL!

Do you have a store you can drive to nearby? I'm thinking Walmart-type places.

I do this once it gets hot. There is a shopping center 5 minutes away with a Walmart and a grocery store. If it's too hot to walk outside I will sometimes drive over, walk into the walmart and walk around the perimeter, then walk over to the supermarket and walk around the perimeter. Otherwise in the summer I try to do most of my exercise in the early AM, I am pretty sensitive to the heat and can get a little light-headed if I do anything that gets my heart-rate up.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I walk here sometimes during my lunch. I just bring clothes to change into for exercising and then change back into my work clothes and freshup a bit with baby wipes and deodorant.
    Several girls here use to use one of the conference rooms (with a tv and DVD player) to do workout videos during lunch. Is that a possibility?
    We also use to do laps around the inside of the warehouse where I worked. Currently I do several laps a day around the inside of our office building (it's a big loop pretty much with offices on the inside and outside of hallways all the way around the building with hallways on both ends too so perfect for laps). Everytime I need to get a drink or use the restroom I do a lap. I always do each at a different time so I get twice the laps in.
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Continue to walk even once it gets hot. I just make sure to bring a change of clothes and deodorant. Yoga is offered at my work place 2 times a week at lunchtime as well. In the past at another job, the company hired a mobile fitness instruction to lead yoga classes in a meeting room at lunch time. The company subsidized it a bit, and participants contributed the rest to her fees. Maybe you could ask your workplace to support a fitness/yoga program? Its in the company's benefit to provide a healthy workplace
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Check youtube for "youcube"... Its a 3 minute soap opera series about a guy exercising at his cube. pretty funny. Its been a few years since I looked for it, but assuming its still there :)
  • ladybarometer
    Options
    carakirkey wrote: »
    Continue to walk even once it gets hot. I just make sure to bring a change of clothes and deodorant. Yoga is offered at my work place 2 times a week at lunchtime as well. In the past at another job, the company hired a mobile fitness instruction to lead yoga classes in a meeting room at lunch time. The company subsidized it a bit, and participants contributed the rest to her fees. Maybe you could ask your workplace to support a fitness/yoga program? Its in the company's benefit to provide a healthy workplace

My work place JUST started a fitness challenge, and gave out perdometers to encourage people to get moving. The perdometers were about $2 and if you shake them, it counts that as steps - hopefully no one else figures that out LOL! We're state funded, so anything extra has been a no - I thought maybe we could at least meet in the afternoons to walk/jog, since we're on such beautiful land.
  • ladybarometer
    Options
    I really LOVE Kettle Bell workouts, and other strength/toning stuff when I do videos, so I may go shopping later and see what I can find. I do a lot of cardio, maybe this will help up my fat burning?
  • jhamptonsleboda
    jhamptonsleboda Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When it's hot, I'll bring a wicking workout top to wear during my lunchtime walks. Or I do the baby wipes trick mentioned a bunch of times by others :) I don't have my own office - I just change in the bathroom. No big deal!
  • Amanda0815
    Amanda0815 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Me and a group of work friends do the 30 day challenges, like squat challenge, push up challenge, etc. We just go to an empty conference room w/no windows. :) You can knock them out pretty quickly and then in the afternoons we'll go do the stairs. It really does start to add up.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Like other posters, I used to bring in an extra shirt I changed into in the restroom before walking. A little freshening up and a fresh shirt do wonders after a walk.