Any negatives with a severe calorie deficit?

Options
2»

Replies

• fftoby
    fftoby Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So 1600 calories a day and increase my protein to at least 200 grams. I'm currently eating food high in fiber (fruits, vegetables, nuts, whole grains) and chicken or turkey for meat. I cut out beef and I'm allergic to sea food, I will have lean pork occasionally.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I would actually recommend 1800 as a minimum. You'll still lose well at that number. You may want to look into protein powder since you are upping protein quite a bit. Other sources include tofu, yogurt, cheese...

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure you are on point with your logging. A lot of people think they are eating a lot less than they are. You should be using a food scale with almost everything.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Hair loss, lack of energy, muscle loss, hungriness, :(
    You don't have to go so low to lose. the more you have to lose the more you can eat. you have to find a number you will be able to drop from. Please eat more calories. Of course there are health risks to eating a VLCD you know this.
    While you are pleased with the results and who wouldn't be, how is this sustainable.
    What are you learning other than restrict?
    How long before you binge? bc there will be a binge.
    its is coming.
    Then how will you feel about yourself?
    Please look around the boards and do this in a sustainable healthy manner so that you can keep the weight off for good.
  • sarahlifts
    edited June 2015
    Options
    fftoby wrote: »
    I'm 5'10" and I set my goal at 250 because I needed a number to put in the app. I will reevaluate my goal weight in the near future. I'm getting at least 50 grams of protein a day.

FML you need more than that. Please read around please use the search tool.
    0.7-1.0 g protein per lb
    this will aid in preserving the muscle you do have.

I eat more than 1400 per day. I want more than the 1665 I am eating. I had to come down from my starting point just to get here I was at 1805 and was losing.

Please educate your self before beginning any diet.

• sarahlifts
    Options
    So 1600 calories a day and increase my protein to at least 200 grams. I'm currently eating food high in fiber (fruits, vegetables, nuts, whole grains) and chicken or turkey for meat. I cut out beef and I'm allergic to sea food, I will have lean pork occasionally.

No, you need to eat more than me okay. you are eating the calories of a 36 year old woman who is 5'7 and 140 lbs. eat more.
    where are you going to drop to when you stall? you have no room to go lower.
    you are upsetting and saddening me.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I'm a lot taller but somewhat close in weight to you. You're going to lose muscle at the rate you're going. Been there before and regretted it afterwards. Aim for 2250-2400 calories at the lowest. Stick to .7g per lb of protein with 2250-2400 calories a day.. You'll be eating nothing but chicken if you're aiming for 200g a day at 1600 cals and it'll still feel like a lot at 2250-2400. Incorporate weight lifting into your routine if you haven't already. Plus at these higher caloric intakes you'll be more likely to stick with it. I'm at 270 and eat anywhere from 2650-3000 calories a day and I'm still losing weight with just lifting weights (no cardio).
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I'm a 37 y/o male when I started my diet I weighed 330 lbs and I'm down to 290 in 6 weeks. I'm moderately active (I work out 3 times a week for 30-45 mins). My biggest change was going from probably 3500 calories a day or more to 1200-1400 cal/day. My question, is there a down side to reducing caloric intake by that much. So far I'm feeling fine (except for being hungry) and very pleased with the weight loss.
    If you do it long enough yes there can be major downsides...

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with beef. Chicken is a great protein option as well and my go to when I need to hit my protein goal.

Have you set down a schedule on when you eat? Getting yourself into a routine is crucial to long term success.

If you're getting hungry start documenting this - specific times when you get hungry. Drink water 30-60 mins before this and this will help you control the hunger pains.

You're on a great start, so just tweak your plan a bit so you can keep it going. Think marathon, not sprint.
  • sarahlifts
    Options
    this is a 20% deficit at your current weight
    GRAMS per day
    168.3CARBS
    208 PROTEIN
    91 FAT
    52 - 65 FIBER
    2324 CALORIES

you're welcome.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Also, I started out at 325, at 270 now, been through every type of scenario you could imagine to lose weight. Congrats on the weight loss so far, you're at a great point now to re-evaluate your intake and continue moving forward. The weight will continue to drop, just please don't do it at the expense of muscle loss.. and from experience it's not the easiest thing to regain the muscle mass that you've lost. I went from 320-250 and my lean body mass dropped significantly because i didn't focus on macros and only did cardio.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You should probably stop taking advise from the internet and enlist the help of a nutritionist. You are going to get 100 different responses from 100 different people here, all with different goals concerning fitness & body composition. Talk to someone at your doctors office and get a plan in place. Most people have a real hard time losing more than 2lbs a weeks and maintaining that long term. You've most liking lost the easy weight as well.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Aside from all the major down sides that people posted here, there is another one to consider

You will burn out...hungry and tired, will break you up at one point and give up or at least test you every second of the day to keep going and keeping up your willpower to do this.

When you are not hungry ( and that is possible with the right intake and foods) you will lose weight, AND keep easier on track.
    You will be energetic and a happy person.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I went from 335 to 224, so far, and had about an 8:1 fat:muscle loss ratio, with a 1000 calorie a day deficit plus exercise calories. My lowest target was 1600 calories. I ate a boatload of protein and lifted.

Yes, indeed, I know a lot of ways to cook boneless, skinless chicken breast.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Let's see. When I was on a medically supervised VLCD diet, I experienced dizziness and weakness. I could not walk in a straight line. I slept a lot. My brain was fuzzy (do not operate heavy machinery!). In a month or so I got brittle nails (hair loss and weak nails show up after the damage is done). Dry skin. Constipation. I would get sudden bouts of extreme hunger.

Some of my compatriots suffered kidney stones (dehydration) and gall stones (not enough fat).

The body will take what it needs to stay alive if you don't feed it, even if it happens to be from your heart muscle.

I was very happy to increase my calories as soon as I could. I still lose weight.