Strength training - to buy a book or not

Options
ens102
ens102 Posts: 37 Member
I am trying to lose weight at present but really like the idea of lifting and being stronger, plus my husband is wanting to strength train for a tough mudder race. I have done body pump classes and a small amount of lifting with a personal trainer who has since left the gym. I was thinking about buying strong curves or the new rules of lifting but someone has suggested going for 5x5 strong lifts, I quite like the idea of this. Any advise for someone new to lifting or any recommendations before I give it a go? Any particularly good training programmes for complete beginners? I do have a knee injury but am ok with low impact workouts.

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i like 5/3/1 better, but yeah, some literature will help.
  • ens102
    Options
    Care to elaborate?
  • elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    ens102 wrote: »
    Care to elaborate?

Wendler's 5/3/1 program. its a strength program
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is an amazing program! I downloaded the app and purchased the power pack that you can get with it. Great beginner lifter program IMO.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Yeah I am transitioning to 5-3-1 - agreed with @Capt_Apollo. Although I haven't started it yet (start Monday), theoretically it looks like a better program. Emphasis on 4x/week lifting, compound lifting, and simple assistance lifts. I can see doing 20 min cardio post-workout being optimal for fat loss (as glycogen is depleted, cardio post-weights is the best form of fat burning available - so getting it 4x). Able to do two HIIT sessions on non-squat/deadlift days. Lots of literature on Amazon - Starting Strength is good but a ripoff of Bill Starr - but there's ton of literature out there.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I like 5/3/1 as well, but I think that if I could do it over again-I would do 5x5 first, as a completely beginner. Just more simple.
  • aDivingBelle
    aDivingBelle Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for women is pretty good. I haven't read the other books in the series. I prefer it to 5x5 because it includes a mix of different types of movements whereas 5x5 is just picking things up and putting them back down. Just my opinion
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for women is pretty good. I haven't read the other books in the series. I prefer it to 5x5 because it includes a mix of different types of movements whereas 5x5 is just picking things up and putting them back down. Just my opinion

Haha, the exact reason why I would prefer 5x5. I don't have the patience to be jack knifing on an exercise ball. No thanks. But I do like the book and think it's worth the read.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    What about Mike Mathews - he's pretty good - I don't know about female lifting - but on the male side, more of a copy of 5-3-1 just beginner style. Emphasis on sets of 6.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Worth getting hold of Starting Strength too as it gives a pretty thorough breakdown of moves. NROLFW is also good for the information, but Stronglifts is a good enough programme to be starting with.
  • ens102
    Options
    Thanks everyone, just as an update I have ordered nrolfw but started stronglifts today. If I think it's going well and I'm going to stick with it then I will get starting strength too - bit more expensive.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    www.startingstrength.com
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Care to elaborate?

I like this programme too, but it's more intermediate than beginner.

Good programmes: Strong Curves, Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, New Rules.

New rules is a great read and if you have no clue, tell you a lot but I, personally, found the routine too complicated as a beginner. I'd advise trying out Stronglifts (as it's free) and if you nail it, great - if not, read starting strength. I had awful issues with squats and wouldn't have managed it without starting strength.

Starting strength, new rules of lifting for women and strong curves are all a great read IMO.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, just as an update I have ordered nrolfw but started stronglifts today. If I think it's going well and I'm going to stick with it then I will get starting strength too - bit more expensive.

Haha didn't read the whole thread before posting - the kindle version is much cheaper :)
  • try4better128
    try4better128 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things about Strong Curves too. I personally do 5x5 for now. I did buy a book called "Body By You: You Are Your Own Gym". I like it too. It's calisthenics though, not weights. But it's very portable!
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Another vote for StrongLifts 5x5. If you're a noob, this is great.

5/3/1 I'd only do later on, after you've exhausted StrongLifts.
  • headwind2015
    headwind2015 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'll have to check out StrongLifts. Thanks for all the responses folks
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight at present but really like the idea of lifting and being stronger, plus my husband is wanting to strength train for a tough mudder race. I have done body pump classes and a small amount of lifting with a personal trainer who has since left the gym. I was thinking about buying strong curves or the new rules of lifting but someone has suggested going for 5x5 strong lifts, I quite like the idea of this. Any advise for someone new to lifting or any recommendations before I give it a go? Any particularly good training programmes for complete beginners? I do have a knee injury but am ok with low impact workouts.

really depends...StrongLifts is a great beginner strength program...it's primary focus is optimal strength. New Rules and Strong Curves are more general fitness resistance programs...they are also very good...but the focus is different.

also keep in mind that while you can certainly do strong lifts in an energy deficit, it's not how the program was meant to be used so you like will not progress the way you would if you were truly following the program, including eating. you're going to peter out faster than you otherwise would and likely won't be able to make the 5 Lb jumps.

another issue I had with a 5x5 program while dieting was recovery...I ultimately went to Starting Strength which is 3x5, but once the weights actually got heavy, I had a tough time doing the other things I wanted to do from a fitness standpoint so I moved to a more general fitness type of a program and a lot of Olympic lifting. Your mileage may vary but I find strength programs to really awesome in maintenance and when I was in a surplus...but not so much when I was dieting. your mileage may vary.

again, it really depends on what your actual goals are here...if raw strength is the name of the game, you can't do much better than StrongLifts for a beginner.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Practical Programming for Strength Training is a great book for general overall knowledge. It sets you up with Starting Strength, and then discusses Intermediate programs like Texas Method, and advanced programs as well.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    Care to elaborate?

I like this programme too, but it's more intermediate than beginner.

Good programmes: Strong Curves, Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, New Rules.

New rules is a great read and if you have no clue, tell you a lot but I, personally, found the routine too complicated as a beginner. I'd advise trying out Stronglifts (as it's free) and if you nail it, great - if not, read starting strength. I had awful issues with squats and wouldn't have managed it without starting strength.

Starting strength, new rules of lifting for women and strong curves are all a great read IMO.
    Another vote for StrongLifts 5x5. If you're a noob, this is great.

5/3/1 I'd only do later on, after you've exhausted StrongLifts.

2x on this.