Scared and obese

Options
I'm really scared for my health. I am binge eating as I am stressed out and use eating as a comfort tool. I then feel guilty and start to self harm by ripping off my toe nails as a coping thing.
I log everything I eat but the pounds are going on.. Don't know where to start

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I'm really scared for my health. I am binge eating as I am stressed out and use eating as a comfort tool. I then feel guilty and start to self harm by ripping off my toe nails as a coping thing.
    I log everything I eat but the pounds are going on.. Don't know where to start

Please get yourself some profession help if you are self harming yourself.

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You should seek professional help, immediately.
  • Auntiezozo81
    Auntiezozo81 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a troll post until I looked at the foot picture. The help you need is far beyond the capability of some internet strangers. You need to consult with your general practitioner (doctor) immediately for a recommendation of professional help.

The fact that you know you need help is the first step so good for you. Now call your doctor.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Harming yourself is never ok. I know it is hard bc it is now something you do to cope so its hard to stop. But you must seek help bc most likely you have binge eating disorder and mental health issues such as borderline personality disorder. You will need to get a book called dialectic behavior therapy workbook. By marsha linehan. Use it and you will learn how to do new coping skills and deal with your emotions.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Do get professional help. Also consider yoga:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-science-willpower/201007/how-yoga-can-help-end-binge-eating

...To find out more about how yoga might have helped the women make peace with food, themselves, and their bodies, I talked to Maggie Juliano, director of Sprout Yoga, a non-profit organization that provides yoga to people with disordered eating.

According to Juliano, yoga gives people the skills to stay with what they are feeling, rather than turning to food to escape. People who are obese or suffering from eating disorders have a tendency to dissociate from their bodies -- to choose not to feel what they are feeling when they are angry, anxious, or sad. Often, they turn to food to numb themselves. "There's this sense that I have to feel better right now, " Juliano says. "There is a complete intolerance of what is happening right now." This need to escape unpleasant feelings triggers a binge.

When you eat to escape what you are feeling, you lose touch with the experience of eating, as well. This is one reason binges can spiral out of control. "You have no understanding that you are full, way past full, into uncomfortable, because you're so out of it," Juliano explains. "You have no connection to what you're eating. You're eating a pint of ice cream and can't even taste it. Or you go to make yourself some toast and before you know it, half the loaf is gone."

Mindful yoga directly challenges the habit of dissociating from your body and your present-moment experience. "The whole point of yoga is to stay connected to your body. You learn it through practice, through breathing, and through breathing through the sensations."...
  • Auntiezozo81
    Options
    Thank you x
  • ncbeachybum
    ncbeachybum Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Deep breathe! You can do this. First, go to a doctor and make sure all is well...have some basic labs, check out your thyroid, etc. Self harming yourself is only shifting the mental pain to the physical and you should really talk to someone about that. Then, follow your doctor's advice and begin a workout plan. Hang in there. First step is admission, which you are doing. So, now lead yourself to recovery. Best wishes. (hugs)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    This is a really good CD - Yoga for Emotional Flow (How to Ride the Wave of). I've done several workshops with Stephen Cope and have several of his books.

There's no actual yoga postures.

- CD 1 is about yoga philosophy and how yoga can help with what feels like unmanageable emotions
    - CD 2 is three guided meditations

I listen to # 1 when I'm at the dentist office, and do the meditations during periods of high stress.
  • Auntiezozo81
    Options
    That is fab! I will try that thanks.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The start is by speaking out, which you've done. The next is to get professional help, which you are doing. Your health will improve in baby steps.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Oh, sorry you're feeling so bad about yourself. I don't have any advice, just wanted to say please take care of yourself, and speak to someone who can help you with this.
  • SeamusandRorysMom
    SeamusandRorysMom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Remember to celebrate, not minimize, this first important step you have taken. Putting yourself out there, sharing your pain and admitting that you need help takes real bravery. You are stronger than you think.
  • Auntiezozo81
    Options
    Bless you xx
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Can you talk to a counselor?
    Start small. Keep positive self talk. Nothing changes overnight. Slow and steady wins the race.
    There are Lots of personal development books that can help. I'll message you also.
    Sending you prayers girl. You CAN change. You can.
  • Auntiezozo81
    Options
    Thank you lovely xx
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I have the sense that you are suffering from an anxiety disorder. Addiction, binging, self-harm - all are ways to cope with what feels like unendurable anxiety. You CAN both reduce the anxiety and learn ways to handle it. Please seek professional help, you don't deserve to feel so badly and you don't have to.