Terrified of loose skin.

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying it is the case here with the OP, but there are people who are disproportionately concerned about their appearance, over things that most of us wouldn't sweat over.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3105622/Woman-reveals-felt-ugly-leave-house-nine-year-battle-body-dysmorphia-disgusted-reflection.html
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Genetics plays a huge role in how your skin is going to respond. I've lost almost 140 pounds and I have significant loose skin on my stomach, thighs and butt. I'm going to get some of the skin surgically removed and I'm getting a breast lift because I went from a 42 G to a 32 DD...they are very sad sad looking boobies now.
  • BroscienceTheory
    BroscienceTheory Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Mostly super obese people get loose skin. And even then, it is most age and duration. But frankly, lose skin is better than dying at 40 from heart disease, diabetes or hypertension.
  • ChristieDahlberg
    ChristieDahlberg Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Guys it's not that I'm going to let it stop me. I do know I need to do it for my health and I know I'll feel better even with loose skin than I do now.

I just want to know if loose skin is an inevitable as people say or if there's things I can do to prevent it as I am mostly scared of the prospect of surgery.

I have heavy depression and anxiety and most of it is situated around my weight and how I look even though I'm nineteen it's not really a maturity issue. It's a mental disorder issue.

I used to have disordered eating where I would binge and then restrict heavily so I am trying to eat healthy now and lose weight properly
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Guys it's not that I'm going to let it stop me. I do know I need to do it for my health and I know I'll feel better even with loose skin than I do now.

I just want to know if loose skin is an inevitable as people say or if there's things I can do to prevent it as I am mostly scared of the prospect of surgery.

I have heavy depression and anxiety and most of it is situated around my weight and how I look even though I'm nineteen it's not really a maturity issue. It's a mental disorder issue.

I used to have disordered eating where I would binge and then restrict heavily so I am trying to eat healthy now and lose weight properly

The best way to prevent binging, IME, is to eat a reasonable amount of calories--1200 sends me running to the fridge at 2 am. Of course, I don't struggle with BED and if you do, my advice may not apply.

Loose skin is not inevitable. But I'm not sure you can really control it. I'm glad to hear you won't let it stop you.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Best of success to you, @ChristieDahlberg . I think you've got it figured out. You've got examples of both extremes on this very thread; one who does not have loose skin at all, and another who couldn't avoid it.

I've decided against surgery myself unless my floppy skin becomes a health issue.
  • ChristieDahlberg
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @UltimateRBF and @JuniperVera , my granddaughter is fifteen and lots of things terrify her though she admits to only a few. True fearlessness comes with maturity, and our OP is nineteen. I understand that she may be truly afraid of what her body will look like when she is done.

High blood pressure, diabetes, arthritis, and heart disease are all fears of the old.

At her age, her greatest risk is from a car accident, not from being overweight.

That being said, this is a fear that can be faced.

Thank you for your kindness I just commented again explaining how I'm not letting it stop me but I do have serious mental issues concerning my appearance. Not a maturity issue but bad depression and anxiety. Thank you again for being so kind
  • ChristieDahlberg
    Options
    are you more afraid of being fat for the rest of your life than not looking good in a bathing suit? when you can answer that question you'll know where your head is at.

Yes.
    And terrified? Really? I understand it being a concern (I weigh more than you and can already see loose skin forming) but terrifying? Nah. High blood pressure, diabetes, arthritis, heart disease, dying young, that's terrifying.

I understand for most people it seems like a trivial thing but I really do have anxiety and depression surrounding my looks so I was just wondering if it can be prevented. I never said it was going to stop my weight loss journey And I realize I need to be healthier, so I wish people would stop thinking I'm just an immature little girl obsessed with her appearance.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Lose weight slowly, lift weights, and just in case, start saving for surgery now. Not much else you can do.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    When I was in my 20s I lost 60 pounds, slowly, with exercise, and had no loose skin. Since then I've been yoyoing 30# with still no loose skin. I'm a little more concerned about it this time around, as I am 48, but it is not a deterrence. Best of luck to you!
  • kawatmough
    kawatmough Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I lost 250lb, I now weigh 150lb and here's me! norzqqsqhnkw.jpg
    xh8n4ks3ctfc.jpg
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Take really good care of your skin and lose slowly. Be happy about how great you will look in skinny jeans.
  • Aaron2686
    Aaron2686 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You should watch that video I posted. It just occurred to me that the thumbnail image may leave some suspecting the post of trolling. There is legit info in that video from a guy who's lost over 100 lbs.
  • thegaragegirl01
    thegaragegirl01 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I definitely get that, but terrified is overstating it, a lot.
    But yes, with age comes perspective.

What is trivial to some is deathly important to someone else. Just because one person thinks it's overstating does not change the fact that, to the OP ,it is something they care about. It is very uncharitable to be condemning someone's feelings.

You'll be okay. Take it slow, don't beat yourself up if things don't look to be going your way. Genetics is probably the biggest part of it, really. Some are lucky and it doesn't happen to them. Others, not so much. You unfortunately won't be able to accurately predict it, so, my advice is to perhaps try to find a way to focus on something else that you can actually change the outcome of. Make a conscious effort to try not to think about the potential negative outcome of your journey and instead make your best effort to focus on the positives, because there will be SOOOO many more positives than negatives.

You have made a courageous decision to tackle this project of yours, so well done! Always be proud of that. The fact that you are determined to make it happen is a credit to you. You have youth on your side, so use it. If you make a concerted effort early to stick to a healthy regime you will see steady progress. Don't over-do it and, highly likely, you will bounce back. Youthful skin has a lot more elasticity even than someone in their mid twenties. Don't fret about the things you can't change. :-)

Good on you for taking this step. You'll be fine. :-)
  • HealthDetermined
    HealthDetermined Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    1- I can't emphasis enough how important it is for you to stay hydrated if you don't want the loose skin. Drink as much H2O as you can, it doesn't matter if you are thirsty or not, just drink.
    2- Take it slow with the weight loss, try not to lose more than 1/2 Kg per week.
    3- Lift.
    I know I didn't add anything to what everyone else has said, and just like everyone else has said, I too would rather have loose skin than be obese if those were my only options.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I personally know a girl who is now 39, and in 2 years she lost 230 pounds. I wrote about her in another thread. She lost all her weight by doing cardio and eating right. Then she had all this lose skin. She started weight lifting a year ago and she looks absolutely amazing right now. She looks like a fitness model.
    So yea, strength training is the best way to go.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    I can't find much scientific to collaborate this, so take it as you will:
    The advice I've heard is to get even a little bit further under your goal weight. The body has to then pull in some of the looser fat pockets just to get the fat out of them.

Nope
    Thanks for the confirmation that it is bullocks, MFP BB buddy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I currently weigh 235 and my goal weight is around 140-150 and I'm terrified that I'm going to have a lot of gross lose hanging skin when I get there.

I do toning and I'm losing slowly but I've heard you will still have it and sometimes it has to be surgically removed. I don't have insurance or make a lot of money plus I'm terrified of surgery.

Any tips or help would be appreciated.

Already gave tips so thought I'd circle back and comment on your feelings - I can relate to your fear. I have a large fibroid and am afraid that when I lose weight and don't have the fat to hide it I will look pregnant. Still, that doesn't deter me.

Best wishes!

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I do toning and I'm losing slowly

Lose the weight relatively quickly, because skin elasticity declines with age, plus the longer that skin is stretched, the harder it is for it to snap back, because new skin cells grow in, and those don't disappear. It can take up to 2 years for loose skin to snap back after losing weight, so it may be more noticeable during that time if you lose it quick. But you won't have any greater skin after 2 years if you lose it slow. In fact you may have more skin if you lose it slowly, for the reasons mentioned.

Make sure to do strength training to minimize the loss of muscle that occurs with fat loss. Don't do "toning", follow a pro-designed strength training program, like NROL or Stronglifts, using heavy weight. :+1: