Getting frusterated! :(

124»

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Just to say I dont always agree with him but ndj asked the most pertinent question and it went unanswered for ages. If you arent losing then look for the reasons why starting with the idea to check your logging and that you really are at an accurate deficit. Start with the preumption that you are eating more than you are burning or else you will be defying the laws of thermodynamics. That means a food scale.

If all thats in order, you then look at exercise burns if you are eating back.

If thats accurate then you need to look at things which mean weight loss isnt linear, water retention, salt, tom.

If thats in order then learn to be patient , 2 weeks isnt really enough of anything.

A combination of all the above factors could easily slwo your weight loss, you just have to be methodical, break it down and examine, then remedy each aspect.

If you are doing everuthing right then keep on for a decent sustained period.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I lose weight once a month. My weight loss cycle is closely tied to my other....cycle. Hormones. Maybe stick to what you are doing with a little careful weighing of food for two more weeks and see if your weight loss pattern is hormone related.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited June 2015
    You should weigh everything in grams on a food scale. Measuring cups are highly inaccurate for solid and semi-solid food, like popcorn, cereal, peanut butter, etc..

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    999tigger wrote: »
    Just to say I dont always agree with him but ndj asked the most pertinent question and it went unanswered for ages. If you arent losing then look for the reasons why starting with the idea to check your logging and that you really are at an accurate deficit. Start with the preumption that you are eating more than you are burning or else you will be defying the laws of thermodynamics. That means a food scale.

If thats accurate then you need to look at things which mean weight loss isnt linear, water retention, salt, tom.

If thats in order then learn to be patient , 2 weeks isnt really enough of anything.

A combination of all the above factors could easily slwo your weight loss, you just have to be methodical, break it down and examine, then remedy each aspect.

food scales, bringing people together since the digital age began ...

:)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited June 2015
    Measuring cups is not accurate for solid food. What you fit in a cup may not be the same as what the food label indicates according to weight for a cup. When you get the food scale, you'll see this.

In general: you are not going to lose weight every week. Some weeks you'll stay the same, some will go down. Why? Because the body is not a perfect machine and because many factors affect water weight. Such as TOM/hormones, sodium, stress, new workout routine, etc.

You have the Fitbit & Aria. Continue to weigh in daily if you want, but make sure you're consistent. What not to do: sometimes weigh in the morning before eating, sometime at 1pm after lunch, sometimes right before bed. That will give you messy data. Keep your weighins consistent such as after waking & using the bathroom, before eating/drinking anything. Over time you'll see a trend to form. Such as certain weeks you seem to gain or hold steady, other weeks you see a drop.

You are most likely at a deficit since you're aiming for 1400 calories in and are showing 2400 out. So trust the science and the next weighin, or the one after, or the one after: you'll see further results. But getting the food scale will help you to be more accurate. You just can't get it right with cups alone. And even single serving items like bread, buns, etc. can be off by 10-20% and still meet FDA guidelines for accuracy.
  • StaciMarie1974
    PS-I've used my Fitbit for about a year and a half now. 9.5 months to lose my weight and 7.5 months of maintenance. Have found it very accurate. No device is perfect, but if its off its probably by no more than 5-10%. Which would mean you'd still be in a deficit and more time will allow you to see the trend.
  • ndj1979
    edited June 2015
    Measuring cups is not accurate for solid food. What you fit in a cup may not be the same as what the food label indicates according to weight for a cup. When you get the food scale, you'll see this.

In general: you are not going to lose weight every week. Some weeks you'll stay the same, some will go down. Why? Because the body is not a perfect machine and because many factors affect water weight. Such as TOM/hormones, sodium, stress, new workout routine, etc.

You have the Fitbit & Aria. Continue to weigh in daily if you want, but make sure you're consistent. What not to do: sometimes weigh in the morning before eating, sometime at 1pm after lunch, sometimes right before bed. That will give you messy data. Keep your weighins consistent such as after waking & using the bathroom, before eating/drinking anything. Over time you'll see a trend to form. Such as certain weeks you seem to gain or hold steady, other weeks you see a drop.

You are most likely at a deficit since you're aiming for 1400 calories in and are showing 2400 out. So trust the science and the next weighin, or the one after, or the one after: you'll see further results. But getting the food scale will help you to be more accurate. You just can't get it right with cups alone. And even single serving items like bread, buns, etc. can be off by 10-20% and still meet FDA guidelines for accuracy.

wait, so you think OP is netting negative 1000 calories per day? Or am I missing something????
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »

food scales, bringing people together since the digital age began ...

:)

The beginnings of a bro-mance :p

• CarolineLeclair
    CarolineLeclair Posts: 48 Member
    You guys are wonderful! Thank you for all the great advice! I was very trusting of f
  • CarolineLeclair
    ood labels, but I have ordered the scale to see if that's where I'm going wrong!
    I will jeep you all posted and let you know if weighing vs. measuring helps!
  • StaciMarie1974
    edited June 2015
    Not what I said. OP is burning 2400 per day and likely eating under that.

Aiming for a 1000 daily deficit but not using a scale: means probably eating more than 1400. Would be unlikely to overestimate enough to think you're eating 1400 and actually be eating 2500.

wait, so you think OP is netting negative 1000 calories per day? Or am I missing something????

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Lol! No, i didn't weigh those, but yes, I did measure them with measuring cups! If I measure the popcorn (for example) in cups, do I need to weigh it too?
    Not sure I understand why.... Would I use the weight over the measurement?
    I do have all my fitbit settings adjusted like it says above!
    I was told to trust fitbit ad it was quite accurate.

Weight is more accurate than measuring by volume, especially for items that can be compressed or have air pockets. Here's an explanation with a really helpful video. After I saw this I got a food scale:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212
  • ndj1979

Aiming for a 1000 daily deficit but not using a scale: means probably eating more than 1400. Would be unlikely to overestimate enough to think you're eating 1400 and actually be eating 2500.

OK but you said 1400 in and 2400 out which is a net negative of 1000 ....
  • CarolineLeclair
    I do have to agree that my deficit seems big enough to me that I should still be losing weight.... Rather than maintaining. Even if my measurements are leas accurate than weighing... Back to why I'm frustrated! I feel my calories burned are quite accurate as I live a very busy and active lifestyle.
    BUT... I will follow the advice given and will start "tweeking" things here and there to see if it helps!
  • StaciMarie1974
    edited June 2015
    I said she is aiming for 1400 in. And I said she is most likely at a deficit. Aiming means 1400 is the intended intake. Deficit means eating below TDEE. So in this case, actual probably is less than 2400 and as I also mentioned: a food scale will improve accuracy so one can know they are eating what they think they are.

OK but you said 1400 in and 2400 out which is a net negative of 1000 ....

• StaciMarie1974
    Its been 2-3 weeks without a loss. Water weight. As mentioned is the likely cause. Need more time to see trends over 30-60-90 days.
    I do have to agree that my deficit seems big enough to me that I should still be losing weight.... Rather than maintaining. Even if my measurements are leas accurate than weighing... Back to why I'm frustrated! I feel my calories burned are quite accurate as I live a very busy and active lifestyle.
    BUT... I will follow the advice given and will start "tweeking" things here and there to see if it helps!

• donna1432
    donna1432 Posts: 87 Member
    I think everyone at some point hits a plateu sounds like your case you need to change it up a bit